DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Non-linear mapping
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm
   Subject: Non-linear mapping
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What are some of your approaches for creating maps that are non-linear? Wolfenstein is inherently less linear than most modern shooters, but if you are looking to get away from the typical Start --> Key1 --> Key2 --> Elevator progression i.e. giving the player multiple ways to solve a map, what are some of the ways you approach it?

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:35 pm
   Subject: Re: Non-linear mapping
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

There's always the "Pushwall shortcut" route, and I admit it makes mapping for your mod a little more interesting. I also use "concept maps" if all else fails. My Operation: Kill BJ! mod had a number of these. E5L10 was my personal favorite, as it had two different paths that both led to an elevator, but each route led to a different set of experiences. E6L6 is another two-ways-two-elevators map, but I didn't think that one was quite as well designed. That level forced you to push one of two Pushwalls to progress in the map, and the pushed wall would block your way to the other side of the map. Eventually you'd experience an attack from the opposite side of the map, and afterwards you'd find an alternate route to get to the remaining rooms you had blocked off earlier.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Tricob wrote:
There's always the "Pushwall shortcut" route, and I admit it makes mapping for your mod a little more interesting. I also use "concept maps" if all else fails. My Operation: Kill BJ! mod had a number of these. E5L10 was my personal favorite, as it had two different paths that both led to an elevator, but each route led to a different set of experiences. E6L6 is another two-ways-two-elevators map, but I didn't think that one was quite as well designed. That level forced you to push one of two Pushwalls to progress in the map, and the pushed wall would block your way to the other side of the map. Eventually you'd experience an attack from the opposite side of the map, and afterwards you'd find an alternate route to get to the remaining rooms you had blocked off earlier.

I just finished up designing a map I call "As Above So Below" that uses this approach. The player pushes one of two walls in the beginning and that determines what side of the map they will play. The sides are inverses of each other (in theme, not in layout or gameplay as the player will have a different experience depending on the side they take). There is a secret tying both sides together for people who are playing for 100%.

All in all, I think this is one of my favorite levels that I have ever designed.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:49 am

Pushwalls are an option. Just having different routes towards different keys, but have some interconnecting rooms inbetween, is an option. Saves on having to backtrack too much. Having 4 colored doors at the end, and the rest the player can decide for themselves, is something I've done.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:35 pm

there's this user I know on DHW forum named ronwolf1705 who has made some GREAT non-linear maps! Very Happy
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Just to clarify: when we say "non-linear" maps, we of course mean maps that whilst non-linear in design, they will allow the player to explore everything somehow and as a result get 100% ratios?

Thanks,

Ariel

DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Arielus wrote:
Just to clarify: when we say "non-linear" maps, we of course mean maps that whilst non-linear in design, they will allow the player to explore everything somehow and as a result get 100% ratios?

Thanks,

Ariel

Correct. I prefer not to create situations where 100% cannot be obtained. For instance, in my recent non-linear map, the player can choose one of two paths that have two different experiences (and in the beginning the opposite path is blocked off) but later in the map there is a secret tying them together so 100% can be obtained.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: