DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

On the verge of death
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Do you like being very low on health and ammo heading into the next fight?
Always
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Often, but not always (an easier ambush every once in a while)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Some of the time (an even mix of easier and more desparate situations heading into ambushes)
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Only occasionally (most of the time I don't want to be that crippled down for a fight)
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Never
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 9
Total Votes : 9

MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:26 am
   Subject: On the verge of death
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

When you're playing mods, do you like to most of the time be in a desparate situation, with something like 20% health or less and no more than 20 bullets heading into a big fight, forcing yourself to use lots of saves, not get shot, and run to pick up dropped ammo before more enemies come? Or do you prefer to have a bit more 'comfortable' situations where you don't have to play quite as aggressively or as carefully, and can afford to have one or two mistakes or other things going wrong?

DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:21 pm
   Subject: Re: On the verge of death
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I voted "some of the time." Personally I really enjoy desperate situations sometimes, but I don't necessarily want the entire mod to be that way. A good mix of situations helps keep things fresh and interesting.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:52 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
forcing yourself to use lots of saves

Saving is lame. If you don't make it, die and try again with 8 bullets until you succeed or run out of lives. Devil
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Went with often but not always. You always felt like a champ when having played Spear Resurrection, End of Destiny and The Golden Episodes where ammo and health often were sparse or had to be used very cautiously if you played skill 4. I do like milling around on the verge of collapsing, but as I'm a quicksave nut it doesn't spoil anything for me. Of course, having a chain gun from the get go and medkits in bunches is fun enough for awhile, but eventually you want to challenge yourself and polish your chops as a player. Don't you?

Chris wrote:
MrWolfForever wrote:
forcing yourself to use lots of saves

Saving is lame. If you don't make it, die and try again with 8 bullets until you succeed or run out of lives. Devil

In recent years I have actually become quite hooked on this type of playing. I don't feel like you get the whole picture, e.g. scoping out the entire map in your head after a while, knowing where each secret is and so on... But it's fun running, gunning, pulling the lever and getting a par time bonus. Much more a fan of this style of playing now, even with mods I don't really know. I've gotten the hang of not necessarily getting the 3x100 ratio and simply just try and enjoy the level layout and the actual gameplay, which is much more raw and interesting when you simply do not click F8 as if your life depended on it.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:58 pm

It really depends on how difficult the fight is, but roaming around with a minuscule amount of health does create more tension in an otherwise routine situation.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 pm

Tricob wrote:
It really depends on how difficult the fight is, but roaming around with a minuscule amount of health does create more tension in an otherwise routine situation.

I agree.

I think having a good balance is key. This is one of the most difficult aspects of level design in my opinion, but it all comes down to distributing your health/ammo just right in order to create that kind of situation when you want it to happen while providing a comfortable amount elsewhere.

I used to be an open the door, blast with a chaingun kind of player that chewed through the ammo, but lately I have really enjoyed situations where I may be in the single digits in ammo with 20 enemies coming at me, and I have to find a way to tackle it.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:07 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Only occasionally. I like being rewarded from, during or before hard fights by seeking out pushwalls for extra healing/munitions than what is normally available, which can be doable but only if you don't make many mistakes. Being on low health all the time and barely scrapping by with ammo isn't exactly fun unless I know beforehand the mod is intended to be very difficult all the time and even then I'd still have to be in the mood for it or it'll just become grind-y and tedious. I hate savescumming and prefer to save the game only after having found or picked up a key (and right before exiting a level just in case I missed something or warping to a secret level I may regret visiting).
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: