DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Favorite level musics from wolf3d?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Favorite level musics from wolf3d?
Get Them
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Searching
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
P.O.W.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Suspense
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
War March
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Around the Corner
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Lurking...
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Going After Hitler
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Pounding Headache
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Into the Dungeons
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Kill the S.O.B.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
The Nazi Rap
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Twelfth Hour
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Zero Hour
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Ultimate Conquest
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Wolfpack
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Funk You
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 11
Total Votes : 60

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:37 pm
   Subject: Favorite level musics from wolf3d?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Open poll. Vote for as many as you like with whatever guideline you want to use. Long live Chaos! Laughing
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:49 pm
   Subject: Re: Favorite level musics from wolf3d?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My votes:

- Searching. This entire track is so impressively layered and so perfectly constructed, it's absolutely breathtaking.

- Ultiimate Conquest (a.k.a. The Ultimate Challenge). This is not only the perfect track for the Hitler battle, but it's very exciting for me to hear no matter how many times it appears in the game.

- Funk You. This is that great little track that belongs nowhere in the game you find it in, and yet it works just perfectly. Once again, it's perfectly constructed, overflowing with highlights, and just downright fun to hear.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Funk You, Searching, Pounding Headache, Nazi Rap, and the Nazi Anthem (E2L1) music.

Ultimate Conquest is my favorite boss music, but I wouldn't use it in a regular level. I used to love the Evil Incarnate track as the ultimate boss track, but I have since stopped liking it as well prefering Ultimate Conquest or a new boss track.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Ah somehow Nazi Anthem (E2L1) got missed. Argh.

I really got into Ultimate Conquest lately too, it's just really intense and epic when I play it back in my head. Always liked the entire Episode 2/5 score, Nazi Rap and Zero Hour from E3/6, and the secret level musics. Get Them! makes a good opener I think too, something that really grew on me with repeated listenings, probably my favorite track in E1 besides War March.

Last edited by Chris on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:59 pm

Suspense
Enemy Around the Corner
Lurking
Going After Hitler
Into the Dungeons
The Twelfth Hour
Ultimate Conquest
Funk You

Especially Suspense and Going After Hitler. Also very, very fond of Into the Dungeons, there's something about it that exudes excitement and it's perfect as secret level or opening music (for e.g. a new unit) --- The Twelfth Hour is very groggy and mysterious and calls for a huge, dark kind of level and Funk You is just cool and wonderful and brings you back to either reaching the much revered E6L10 or starting a new kickass Bucksnort mod. Ultimate Conquest is excellent boss level music, very dramatic and anything with slightly ominous horns is just the aural embodiment of evil, fortresses and menace all at once.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Totally agree with you about Into the Dungeons Thomas. It has a really enchanting and unique almost royal feeling to it for me. Funk You is one catchy beast of a tune hahah, was happily surprised that they used a unique track for both E3L10 and E6L10.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Searching for the Enemy: no tune better gives you the feeling of wandering around down corridors, the suspense you felt when you were younger and Wolf3D still had the capacity to slightly frighten you. I think this is the tune that encapsulates Episode 1 best.
Enemy Around the Corner: almost a melancholic tune. Love how the chords sound kinda Mellotron-ish, and just love the harmonies that are created in this song.
Pounding Headache: the creepiest tune in the whole game. Still find it slightly scary actually Laughing and it makes you feel almost desolate and hopeless. Really impressive tune.
Zero Hour: The best tune to play Wolf3D and bob around in your chair on the rhythm.
Funk You: the coolest track on the soundtrack.

But overall this soundtrack is just so good! Bobby Prince is severly underrated. The tunes seem deceptively simple, but how they all manage to be so distinctive is really quite a feat to achieve.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Enemy Around the Corner: almost a melancholic tune. Love how the chords sound kinda Mellotron-ish, and just love the harmonies that are created in this song.

Agree 100% - I know some people absolutely loathed this tune but I always had a soft spot for it. It is a very minor-key, mysterious kind of tune and so can only go for a dark kind of level, so to me it always made no sense in E4L10 but made loads of sense in E1L10. Have you heard this version though? It features actual mellotron sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2-9Nj1xj8

He also put out a stunning version of Wondering About My Loved Ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WTX7CVmmU with a Fripp-esque guitar part.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:18 am

Thomas wrote:
He also put out a stunning version of Wondering About My Loved Ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0WTX7CVmmU with a Fripp-esque guitar part.

That sounds like it could almost have been a minor song on an Opeth album.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:08 am

Thomas wrote:
Have you heard this version though? It features actual mellotron sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2-9Nj1xj8

Oh yes, I have seen that one before! Didn't remember it until I saw it. Smile Those are really cool.

Quote:
It is a very minor-key, mysterious kind of tune and so can only go for a dark kind of level, so to me it always made no sense in E4L10 but made loads of sense in E1L10.

Agreed. It's one of those tunes you can't really use too often, as it just isn't fitting for most levels. But when it fits, it makes the levels so much more atmospheric.

Quote:

The bassline is also really Phantom of the Opera-esque.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:11 am

I really like War March, more than Ultimate Conquest. Ultimate Conquest fits very well with levels that are challenging right away and never really give you a break, like E6L9. It's a pretty straightforward action-packed boss music. War March on the other hand is much more interesting. It's much calmer, and tends to be cheerful, but there's always a sinister undertone that emerges into foreground every other moment. It's not the creepy kind of scariness like in Corner and such, but rather it evokes the feeling of something powerful waiting for you. An enemy badass enough that they don't need to intimidate you with shadows and creepyness. This tune reminds me of playing E5L9 when I was a kid, carefully walking around trying to gather some supplies, and wondering when am I going to be greeted by the local boss. The anticipation was just as tense as the fight itself.

My second favorite would be Lurking. Somehow I remembered it as playing on E2L10, and I feel it works really well as a secret level music. To me, the main melody sounds like it's mocking the player.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Military wrote:
My second favorite would be Lurking.
Good god, is this a catchy number. And those last four notes before the lead instrument repeats itself ... it just makes the whole thing stick in your head that much more. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:15 am

Surprised to see P.O.W. having received no votes. Always thought of it as enjoyable, straightforward slightly positive kind of thing, a perfect fit for E1L3, E4L3 etc...

Kill the S.O.B. brings back fond memories of discovering the seemingly impenetrable Episode 6 but admittedly, it gets tedious rather quickly.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:35 am

Tricob wrote:
Military wrote:
My second favorite would be Lurking.
Good god, is this a catchy number. And those last four notes before the lead instrument repeats itself ... it just makes the whole thing stick in your head that much more. Smile

It's almost like the last "Tadam, dada dam, dadam dam?" is a trick question, and the "Tam, dam, da dam." is an unexpected, ironic answer.

I like P.O.W. too, it somehow feels like one of the most "Wolfenstein-esque" tunes to me, along with Get Them and War March.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:44 am

Thomas wrote:
Surprised to see P.O.W. having received no votes. Always thought of it as enjoyable, straightforward slightly positive kind of thing, a perfect fit for E1L3, E4L3 etc...
It probably gets a lower score for the same reason that War March does - so much of it is lifted from very familiar material that's decades old - even in 1992. It doesn't bother me all that much, but that's namely because it's still well-done, and most of the tunes it uses as a base are ones I didn't hear that often before I played Wofl3D.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:56 pm

I've always wondered why Hitler Waltz, Victors, and Victory March were included in the AUDIOT but never used. They could have included the SOD music instead and used it in-game. Victors also isn't a bad song and I'm debating on using it in one of my boss levels. I like Victory March but its a little too "happy" sounding for use in a level. Hitler Waltz has a nice theme but its a little short and repetitive.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:06 pm

I've always seen Victory March as being a lost boss level tune, which would've fit perfectly in E2L9 or E5L9. Hitler Waltz, I don't know, always saw that as more intermission-y, not proper level music. Victors on the other hand, a great, somber kind of tune that could've fit in somewhere in the original game. First heard it at Totengraeber level 92 and thought it fit that level (purple stone, sort-of cavern/castle kind of vibe going on) perfectly.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Thomas wrote:
I've always seen Victory March as being a lost boss level tune, which would've fit perfectly in E2L9 or E5L9. Hitler Waltz, I don't know, always saw that as more intermission-y, not proper level music. Victors on the other hand, a great, somber kind of tune that could've fit in somewhere in the original game. First heard it at Totengraeber level 92 and thought it fit that level (purple stone, sort-of cavern/castle kind of vibe going on) perfectly.

I think War March is a better fit for a boss level because there is more tension in it. Victory March would be a great alternative end-game song to play during the epilogue text, in my opinion. I remember I was going to use it as a boss track in The Six Depths of Terrorism but I ultimately opted against it. I did use Hitler Waltz and Victors though as boss tracks. I can't get used to Victors being anything other than a boss track, likely because the first time I heard it was when playing Assassinate Hitler, which had a huge, huge impact on me back in the day.

Remember back then there was no FloEdit, ChaosEdit, or YouTube so these are songs that few people had heard even though they were in the game all along.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:56 am

I must admit I learned a lot of Spear songs via Totengraeber as I didn't play Spear until sometime in 2004... I always thought some of the songs stood out a little in the game. Personally I just think Victors is a bit too downtempo and somber for a boss level tune.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Get Them is an absolute classic track, like At Doom's Gate for Doom, its the first track you hear and it's by far the most memorable one to me. It always makes me excited to start a new Wolf episode/game and hear this as the opening track. Around the Corner is perfect for viewing 'read this!' in-game help manuals but can also make a good theme track for a more slower paced level. Funk You is groovy and fun. Going After Hitler is really suspenseful and sinister where anything could happen at any moment. Into the Dungeons is another atmospheric track which I often associate with the Operation Eisenfaust theme. Kill the S.O.B is likewise a classic opener for an episode or game that involves going after Hitler. P.O.W. is another suspenseful track with sinister vibes, keeping your wits about you as danger could be anywhere. Pounding Headache is another great one, true to the name as it really does sound and feel like my head is pounding! Fitting for a really hard level where supplies are stressed to their limits and the enemy is constantly giving you a hard time. Searching is a quiet, moody track while Suspense is deliciously evil and sounding of your imminent doom, likely at the hands of the SS. Ultimate Conquest is the perfect finale to a hard final boss level with a challenging opponent and many of his goons defending him to the bitter end. Didn't see Nazi Anthem in here but it's a classic Operation Eisenfaust episode/game opener.

And while not a level track, Wondering About My Loved Ones is another nostalgic and moody track that sums up the entire atmosphere and experience of Wolf3D and also gets stuck in my head often.
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:22 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Pounding Headache takes the top spot for me, and apparently the voting public too at the time of this writing. It's the most appropriately named of the tunes as well -- it captures the feeling of its title perfectly. The Episode 2/5 music is my favorite overall, with Lurking and Going After Hitler close behind. Those songs will forever be linked with mutants and yellow slime ceilings for me.

Suspense grabbed me the first time I head it and has been right up there on the list ever since. When I first played the shareware version and heard it on E1L4, it was menacing enough to make me think that something totally evil was about to happen. Of course, that level turned out to be just like most of Episode 1, but it remains one of my favorites.

Zero Hour is conducive to racing and makes me subconsciously want to run through levels even when there is no need.

It's not on the list for votes, but Funky Colonel Bill and SS Gonna Get You are also awesome. Come to think of it, there's not a single bad tune in all of Wolf3D or Spear of Destiny -- just varying degrees of awesome.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: