DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Chemical Warfare, by Jack Ryerson
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Rate Chemical Warfare, a mod the author himself now hates:
Excellent
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Very good
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Above average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Below average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Awful
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 6
Total Votes : 6

MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 165

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:31 pm
   Subject: Chemical Warfare, by Jack Ryerson
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Apparently, the author now despises his own mod. What do you think of it? I played it back in 2011 and thought it was quite good. I don't remember well enough to give it 'Excellent' but I won't hesitate for 'Very Good'.

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:18 am
   Subject: Re: Chemical Warfare, by Jack Ryerson
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I put excellent. Totengraeber may very well be the first full mod I played, but Chemical Warfare was the second. I have many fond memories of playing this... Many. Together with BJ Rowan and later Gary Ragland, Jack's maps for Chemical Warfare were a huge inspiration. The new music was also enticing... The loose Episode 4 theme also worked wonders - it was, and is, an episode that doesn't get too much attention or credit. The secret levels were sometimes brutal but fun... The odd boss too many here and there... And of course Chris worked wonders with the trickery in level 29; very much an inspiration in what I wanted Chris to create for All This & Wolf 3D.

In 2012/13 MCS and I worked on an SDL port; it worked pretty much perfectly for all I remember, the only thing missing was the end level object (in e.g. level 17) --- since then I've lost it, I haven't played it since but I remember it revitalized my drive to make more and better maps. I can go on and on about Gary or BJ Rowan - but Jack Ryerson and Chemical Warfare comes in at a steady third place for me. An absolute joy.

Don't know where the whole thing about the author despises this mod comes from... I for one think this is one of the best mods of all time.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 70

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:18 am

Definitely an excellent for me as well. Contains some of the finest mapping, and it's a mod that always keep the player on their toes. Because you never know when all of a sudden a couple of bosses are thrown at you Laughing But there's so much variety in each level that it keeps the whole thing fresh throughout, and I like that it isn't always fair. It's definitely not designed for the 100%-ers, but I kinda like ballsy, [Censored]-with-the-player designs like some of these levels have. Tough as nails, though.

I don't believe the designer despises the mod now, but it's like how designers always look back at their earlier work: fond memories, but they can always spot stuff that could have been done better. Anyway, here's the designer's commentary for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9fZ7Ashe9k&list=PLEdRlER1F5rFAAaW3Q5XSZVAwCf9kcXmr
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 165

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:54 am

The author said he would actually be embarrassed if he released it today.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 am

My only complaint is the Totengraeber stuff (gray status bar, doors, steel plate). I think it was one of the first wolf3d mods with it's own composed music, which is cool. I still have some of ellaguro's midis from that time laying around mixed up with other random stuff (the refrain from that whee/doomed.mid one in Baked.zip makes it way to many future OCR remixes as well.) Very Happy
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 70

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:34 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
The author said he would actually be embarrassed if he released it today.

That's not the same as despising Beer She also released this: http://ellaguro.blogspot.nl/2013/05/problem-attic.html So I guess the 'embarassment' mostly stems from the difference in viewpoint (related to modding/creating games) from who you were in your teens to who you are in your twenties. Chemical Warfare may seem a bit too direct compared to the more abstract Problem Attic.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:

That's not the same as despising Beer She also released this: http://ellaguro.blogspot.nl/2013/05/problem-attic.html So I guess the 'embarassment' mostly stems from the difference in viewpoint (related to modding/creating games) from who you were in your teens to who you are in your twenties. Chemical Warfare may seem a bit too direct compared to the more abstract Problem Attic.

I have watched the author's commentary on Chemical Warfare. I think it does come from the fact that the author has a very different idea of what constitutes good game and level design today than she did at the time she designed Chemical Warfare. She also criticizes "Doom The Way id Did" several times throughout the commentary for many of the same reasons. There is also the aspect of going back and playing an older mod and seeing things you could have done better or would do differently if designing it today. However, at some points it goes beyond that into being depressingly negative. Chemical Warfare is a classic Wolf mod (considered one of the best of all time by some people) and the author did enjoy making it at the time, so she should not be so critical of it.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:59 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I had no idea the author was female, pretty awesome. It's been years (2006 I think) since I played the mod but I remember it being very good and having a good atmosphere.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: