DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[released] Green Arrow
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am
   Subject: Re: [released] Green Arrow
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Added review to my blog... Looking forward what you come up with next.

doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

WLHack wrote:
Added review to my blog... Looking forward what you come up with next.

Great review, thank you so much Smile
You also did very good and helpful testing on this mod.

Though we are already planning our next mod and know what it'll be and its main features, I don't plan to dive into it right away...releasing this one took alot of forces from me, I do need some vacation, hopefully deserved. Not to burn out.
The rest of the team as well.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:19 am

After player report - updated the download to fix broken access to second secret level.
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:50 am

I have to say, this might be the first time (regarding the previous mods from team raycast) I really feel like getting everything on the hardest settings is insanely difficult. Fighting hitscanners with aim weapons is annoying enough and the concept of levels 5 and 16 is really unforgiving (I'm not enjoying being pressured to storm though the level like that too much). I'm still in level 16 so I have no idea what's comming up next, but I can't imagine getting it more difficult than what I witnessed so far. But I'm looking forward to the rest of the mod nevertheless Very Happy
quartzdoll
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

india.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:20 am

shooting arrow is lagging a lot while enemy shoots out 100% health of you in split second. and also we must shoot arrow in a little cross angle (not straight like a gun) which makes more lagging. finally arrow is not suitable to face machine guns. not effective game. sorry for my feedback.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:21 pm

quartzdoll wrote:
shooting arrow is lagging a lot while enemy shoots out 100% health of you in split second. and also we must shoot arrow in a little cross angle (not straight like a gun) which makes more lagging. finally arrow is not suitable to face machine guns. not effective game. sorry for my feedback.

It's okay, it's sincere feedback of your personal experience of the mod, never had problems with such, you need not to be sorry for having personal preferences.
I'm sorry this particular mod didn't fit your gaming preferences...but we can 't aim to please all and yet make an interesting mod that will stand out.

Yes, enemies are quite dangerous on higher difficulties, and it doesn't fit everyone, but this is part of our vision for this mod and it had been through both internal and external testing, so every difficulty existing - is intended and part of the challenge that many might appreciate more. Right tactics and more careful exploration might assist much.
Yes, it's not like standard Wolf3D mod of just running and shooting right and left or bullets vs. bullets...but who said it should be? I understand some look for more classic experience.
We are always trying new concepts and ideas (I think it's a good think, taking creative chances to make something different) and is has some risks with it, sure in not pleasing everyone.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:30 pm

Quote:
I really feel like getting everything on the hardest settings is insanely difficult

We had extensive internal testing on this, so we know most of the arc of the feelings you might experience during those levels, and it's intended (even if you like it less).
Yes, we had reports of it being stressful and unforgiving - especially for exploration and 100% guys (we had such 100% testers too)....but we needed to maintain the right balance not to dumb the level down too much to make to too boring for all.
We did add more air after such feedbacks and made some changes...but the level is intended as "stressful", part of the atmosphere/experience on a sinking ship with not enough free air. If you can pass it comfortably without air challenges - something is wrong about it.
We cannot make the mod only for those 100% guys (while we want to fit them too, at least on most levels), we need to address more casual players as well, and in this case to make this level too comfortable - would be better not to make it at all, it's the whole concept behind it. Make it as it is - or don't make it at all, ("there is no try"....sounds like a Yoda quote, lol Smile )

We did have the testers make 100% on it, so it's doable, we made sure it is

Quote:
the concept of levels 5 and 16 is really unforgiving

Those are the last ones of that type, do not worry Smile You can breathe the good air now Smile Fill your lungs Smile
Level 16 is easier as you can fill up air outside on the open air. You passed the hardest one already.
Can't promise other levels will be easy skill-wise (some might, some might not)...but can promise no air-related pressure in the future.

Last edited by doomjedi on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:18 am

Level 5 is one of those maps that forces you to think on your feet. You're running out of time all the time and there is no relief from that pressure until you beat the map.

I can suggest use the save/load very strategically in level 5. Do not save around every corner but perhaps every time you pick up an oxygen mask if your HP is good enough.

Btw enemies will also choke due to lack of oxygen (once alerted). Use that to your advantage as well.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:34 am

There are two exits on map 13, and none of them secret. I guess that's an error?
Also, on map 12 there's one wrong floor and ceiling tile near the entrance to Deathstroke's arena, with treetop side chunk on both floor and ceiling.

Deathstroke himself was fairly harmless, by the way. The hardest "boss" to me was the first big chemical guy, fought in the darkness, chasing the player around a mazey area and cutting off pathways with gas. The submarine boss was fairly challenging with the space restriction but not as much as the big chemical guy. Meanwhile Deathstroke was fairly slow and all it took was a few bomb arrows. Making him run out of ammo would be harder than actually defeating him, it's a shame that an interesting mechanic was mostly wasted.

I certainly love the little spidey though. It would only be cooler if some limitations wouldn't make it disappear (and instead, walking onto doors sideways would simply stop it and teleporting on the sky would place it on the ground, perhaps).

I love the sticky arrows too (mostly the proximity ones). I felt so damn cool and clever when I placed one next to every switch-locked door in that one spot, and even better when it actually worked on most of the ninjas (who might have just reduced the small chemical guys to the #2 most annoying enemy type).

The searchlights were fun too, I quietly took out the enemies outside and then just got to the building gate and stepped into them on purpose.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:54 am

Military wrote:
There are two exits on map 13, and none of them secret. I guess that's an error?

It was and it's fixed in latest version, as I've posted in this thread on October 29.

Quote:
Also, on map 12 there's one wrong floor and ceiling tile near the entrance to Deathstroke's arena, with treetop side chunk on both floor and ceiling.

From your description - looks like a mapping mistake.

Quote:
The hardest "boss" to me was the first big chemical guy
He is a mini-Boss actually (you'll meet him again), only DC Comics villains are real bosses...but yes, he is challengeable, sure when you first meet him , on that location especially.

Quote:
The submarine boss
Count Vertigo Smile

Quote:
Making him run out of ammo would be harder than actually defeating him, it's a shame that an interesting mechanic was mostly wasted.
I felt that as well on my testing (and we did try to make him stronger and almost sticky arrow resistant), but I guess we didn't quite nailed it as much as we could.

Quote:
I love the sticky arrows too (mostly the proximity ones).
Indeed, those are most useful (as noted by all testers). I even proposed the remove the timed one (the less useful one), but it was too close to the release, didn't want to mess with it. Proximity one sure beats the remote one as well for virtually all scenarios unless you want to entrap large number of enemies before you activate the trap.

Quote:
I felt so damn cool and clever when I placed one next to every switch-locked door in that one spot

Yeah, both sticky arrow and drone one can be an "activator" of self-satisfaction feeling and even pride of wits Smile

Quote:
The searchlights were fun too
Some liked it more, some less....just shows that frustration is subjective Smile
Idea was too cool to resist anyway Smile The feeling player gets there is quite immersive and tense...and satisfactory as well.

Quote:
I quietly took out the enemies outside and then just got to the building gate and stepped into them on purpose.
Alarm sound was last minute addition, hope it worked well Smile
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:54 am

It's interesting that other players don't use the tripple arrow that much, I use it quite often, it's especially great against stronger enemies (at close range) like the hulk guys.

And I just got into the secret exit in lvl13 and I don't have the updated version indeed, dammit Razz

Update: So I replayed the whole level from the beginning and it's still not working. Do the old savefiles work or am I supposed to play the whole mod from the beginning? Or is the bug still there?
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:35 pm

You need to ask Linuxwolf...I'd say - old saves MIGHT not work, as usually with exe changes.
I'm sorry we missed such obvious thing (it's even embarrassing for the amount of testing we did), maybe testers overused level wrap.

Can't you load an older save from previous level?

Maybe someone will share his save file from the new version?
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 pm

I actually used my savefile from level 12 and it didn't work...

And wasn't there exactly the same problem in legacy? Very Happy
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:06 am

Well, that's the problem with secret levels...they get tested less than main levels.
I'll sure give it more attention in our future mods.

I myself don't even know where to find them in my own testing Smile I almost never find secret levels in Wolf3D mods.
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:05 am

Heh, it's understandable considering that in this mode, the first secret exit was in a really hard level and you barely had time to get there and the other one required you to find a key hidden in a wall Razz

Let's just hope Linuxwolf will fix it soon...
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:59 am

I asked LinuxWolf to recheck that claimed fix.

We plan a new attitude towards secret levels in future mods. I think it's about time to change how we treat those in Wolf3D mods.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 am

I'm testing it, so far i'm at level 3.
Lighting effets are really cool. This really makes a big difference in atmosphere.
I like how many "teleport" were implemented (tent, ladder).
The mapping is really awesome and so does all the graphics.
There's a lot of love in this mod, and it shows. Very Happy
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks! Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 am

Thank you so much Smile I'm glad you're enjoying it Smile
Some like level 5 less, hope you'll love the concept.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 am

Team RayCast! Just wanna say I'm still interesting in shooting a Time To Play episode of this mod BUT I'm trying to figure out the best way to record it... Tried CamStudio AND OBS, both have their own unique problems and would prefer to use the camera on my phone but gotta figure how to get it aligned with the TV... o_O lol
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:23 pm

I think camtasia is awsome for recording wolf3D modes, I already recorded two videos of this mode with camtasia without any problems. The only minor issue is that I can't use my standard resolution for recording in a windowed mode, but I can easily fix that in the camtasia editor.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Free public edition of the Time To Play episode from Arktik Vixen and myself...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3doEJeYSeJ8
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am

Yet another superb mod from Team Raycast - varied scenarios with deft level continuity/storyline, awesome graphics, terrific sound design.....I wasn't previously familar with the Green Arrow character but I gave it a go anyway and I'm glad I did Cool

Can I ask for a hint though?
In the 'sinking ship' level, I think I've cleared out most of it but despite finding two Confused blue keys I can't find the green key anywhere - any chance of a clue?
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 am

mbender wrote:
Can I ask for a hint though?
In the 'sinking ship' level, I think I've cleared out most of it but despite finding two Confused blue keys I can't find the green key anywhere - any chance of a clue?

When you exit the beginning area, immediately go to the left. There are windows there, and behind it is a switch. Hit that switch with an arrow. This will then open a door on the other side (in the left corner of the big open area), and in this area you'll find the green key. Let me know if you can find it.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am

mbender wrote:
Yet another superb mod from Team Raycast - varied scenarios with deft level continuity/storyline, awesome graphics, terrific sound design.....I wasn't previously familar with the Green Arrow character but I gave it a go anyway and I'm glad I did Cool

Thank you Smile I'm happy you had a good experience of it
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 am

I did find it RonWolf, and the technique served me well for the rest of the level.....
.....and the secret level beyond. Just one of the mod's many challenging puzzles in superbly-realized environments - you can almost believe you're on a tropical beach or in a humid jungle, right down to the fireflies!
Island/Holiday
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yeah, fireflies Smile Was my idea (AFAIR? hope I'm not wrong) to lit (dark) areas you couldn't realistically lit otherwise. Also a mood maker, as noticed.

FireFly is a nick of DC Comics Villain...so that insect fits DC world well, heh Wink
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: