DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

How's things?
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:28 pm
   Subject: How's things?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hello Anonymous, how's life been treating you these days?
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 pm
   Subject: Re: How's things?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Pretty sure this was supposed to be a PM, but oh well Razz

I'm OK; I haven't had much motivation to work on anything in the last few months. I have two Wolf-like projects sitting around, one of which needs an awful lot of work and might actually end up being a commercial game, the other which basically only needs some extra textures and a little bit of code work before I can do the maps and release it, but without motivation it's a little hard to get things done. I've started taking a new antidepressant in the last few days, so hopefully that helps soonish. Beyond that, I'm... I think the word is 'disgusted' at the state of the world at the moment (coughTrumpcoughBrexitcough), which isn't really helping me feel better. Not much I can do about that, though.

On the plus side, Titanfall 2 is magnificent.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:05 pm

The you-code strikes again Smile
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi Chris and all,

On my side it's more or less okay, I was not at my best fit but it's getting better.
I do still have motivation to work on my project, and keep progressing slowly but regularly.

I just started to play Overwatch by the way Smile
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Hey all!

I'm doing pretty well. I'm getting to the home stretch in terms of Atomprojekt progress, still aiming for a very early 2017 release. However, with all the drama in America with the election and stuff I haven't had the motivation to map much the past few days and have had trouble finding inspiration. I hopefully will be getting back into the swing of things soon.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Well, lately I've gotten back into programming, but it's 8-bit code for a maze game and a few other things. I'm also doing a font for the same project, and while it is going slowly, it hasn't really come to a stop. I did a handful of characters for the font just last night.

Most of my spare time has been spent writing. While most of them are short stories, I currently have several novels on the to-do list. Only one of them has more than one chapter done (over ten chapters out of about forty), but it'll still take forever before it's done. The chapters aren't very long ... usually three to six pages in length. But so much happens in each chapter, it really doesn't show.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:21 pm

It's almost 4:30, just got home, and I need sleep Very Happy How are you, Chris? Smile
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:38 am

Heh, seems like the result of the US election hit people pretty hard... Personally, I'm very happy about it. We're finally taking back control of our countries... Slowly, but surely. Trump hasn't even been sworn in yet and things are already improving. And if he is as good as his word and "makes America great again", then it's only a matter of time before the 'Trump Effect' spreads to other countries... "Hey, if the Americans sorted their mess out, why shouldn't we do the same?"

The past looks bleak, but the future has never looked so bright.

Anyway, I'm doing nicely... I've got my own project in the works, and hopefully I'll get around to playing some of the cool stuff that's been released lately, as well. It's wonderful to see some of the older members return, too! Here's hoping that 2017 will see some amazing Wolfenstein mods, as did this year!

DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:43 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:

It would work perfectly well if only it was activated by a tag called [confusion] instead. Oh well, at least it can make Anonymous feel important (Yes, I'm talking about YOU, specifically)...

I'm just studying at my online college, trying to do all the stuff I must do plus some hobby projects despite procrastination and attention deficit always getting in the way.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Lately, it has been kind of rough. I have a lot of projects going on and trying to balance them with my personal life is really challenging lately. Sometimes I don't know what to do anymore. Other times I feel very motivated but nothing gets done far enough for me to feel satisfied. I think it may be my job. I can't stand it.

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:

If it's any indicator of how tired I tend to be these days, I've literally only just understood this. Razz
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm

I've been in a rut of freelancing. Working and not. Doing random creative projects and not. Writing a book and not. Looking for a female soul to fill the void in my heart and not. Trying to spread peace and love to the people around me and not. Enjoying life and not. Just being... and not.

So yeah. How are you doing, Anonymous?

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:58 am

The you code is some damn good trick. I got tricked ! lol:

In my workplace, there was some kind of clan war.
"Those who liked the old Director" and "those who hated his guts".
Anyway, the people who hated the old director spread all kinds of bullshit on all the people who liked the old director (like me).
There was some really bad rumors that people started on me.
At the end, all the people who hated the director got promoted included the one who spreaded bad rumors on me and he became my boss.
Those kind of things happens, but I've started to withdraw quite a bit since then.
I've been almost gone from Internet since october. :p

As Aluminium, I've started taking antidepressant but quitted.
Things are starting to calm down.

US election was a bit shock. Considering what Trump will do first with ecology, I think the planet will start to get the most pain from him.

Aluminum >> I hope you're doing better.

I've been doing Rpgmaker like Text messages.
It doesn't look like it, but that what was longer than I though to get there.
You can change the font as you like.

My wife said that the one with the retro font is better. :
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 pm

I prefer the top-most font because it's sharper in detail and easier to read overall.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Chris wrote:
Hello Anonymous, how's life been treating you these days?

It sucks. I remember the good old days when Nazis were things on my computer screen that I filled full of lead. Now they're going to be in the White House. FML.

P.S. have you played any of my recent mod projects?

ronwolf1705 wrote:

Well the fact that my username was being addressed in the OP of a thread in a subforum I very rarely read sure confused me.

I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:32 am

Quote:
It sucks. I remember the good old days when Nazis were things on my computer screen that I filled full of lead. Now they're going to be in the White House. FML.

Well, from what I understood, some very rich people(banks) gave nazis quite a lot of money just before WW2.
So at the end, american had to vote between very rich people/banks (Hilary) and Rich people fantasy (Trump) (also big fan of Putin).
I'd say democracy was dead long before the vote. That being said, Trump is still way too much dangerous for everyone else.
In France, we're really getting into that direction too unfortunatly.

Tricob >> Thanks, I love that one too. Smile
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:04 am

Ginyu wrote:
Quote:

Well, from what I understood, some very rich people(banks) gave nazis quite a lot of money just before WW2.
So at the end, american had to vote between very rich people/banks (Hilary) and Rich people fantasy (Trump) (also big fan of Putin).
I'd say democracy was dead long before the vote. That being said, Trump is still way too much dangerous for everyone else.
In France, we're really getting into that direction too unfortunatly.

Tricob >> Thanks, I love that one too. Smile

The political pendulum does swing back and forth and always has. People have this false assumption that we have progressed as a species beyond the atrocities of the first half of the 20th century and that a society always becomes more progressive with time. That is not the case as has been shown time and time again throughout world history. I'm personally worried that we are on the precipice of something very bad.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Barry wrote:
People have this false assumption that we have progressed as a species beyond the atrocities of the first half of the 20th century and that a society always becomes more progressive with time.
I'd say well over 99% of phrases with the word "always" tend to be false. This tip is even used as a "survival guide" when taking true/false tests. Smile Society doesn't spiral downward indefinitely, nor does it grow and evolve endlessly. It goes up and down like pretty much everything else. But I do believe that it's been spiralling downward the past few decades. For me, it really started going south at the second half of the 1980s. After that, there were just so many trends that caused society to regress rather than progress. Imagine if ignorance was never glamorized. Imagine if we never strove to be more like robots. Imagine if we refused to buy American products when their quality degraded. These were all things I never approved of, but for whatever reason, the majority of the American public did. I still have no idea what they expected to gain.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:11 am

Politics have always been a really messy business.
Like Tricob says, it goes up and down like pretty much everything else.
There's quite a lot of progress that has been made :
- we have in general a more tolerant society
- kids don't get hit by teachers at school or at home (in some countries it's forbidden)
- there are more and more school alternatives (Montessori, Sudbury schools)

Anyway, I hope that most people voted Trump not because they liked him, but because every journalist/artist told them not to.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:06 am

Ginyu wrote:
Politically, I agree with you. But as far as society goes, it seems to be going backward lately. This goes back to Political Correctness, which is another beef I have against the 1990s and beyond. The SJWs are the latest result of that movement. I don't view it as progress at all. In my eyes, it's completely the opposite.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Tricob wrote:
Ginyu wrote:
Politically, I agree with you. But as far as society goes, it seems to be going backward lately. This goes back to Political Correctness, which is another beef I have against the 1990s and beyond. The SJWs are the latest result of that movement. I don't view it as progress at all. In my eyes, it's completely the opposite.

I think one of the big issues is that the SJWs simply pushed for too much change too quickly. This has especially been the case over the past eight years, though as you said this has been building since the 90s. Though I lean left, I live in a very conservative part of the U.S. and I see the angst most people here have about our current culture almost every day. I support many if not most SJW causes but societal change has to come gradually and you can't demonize the opposition or you risk backlash, which we are seeing right now. Unfortunately, everyone is now going to have to suffer.

This isn't the first time this has happened in the U.S. After an incredible progressive and permissive 1960s, things went backwards through most of the 70s and 80s until the 1990s. The good news is it's a 3 steps forward two steps back kind of thing, so not all of the progress will be rolled back, just like the 80s didn't completely undo the 60s.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 am

Quote:
This isn't the first time this has happened in the U.S. After an incredible progressive and permissive 1960s, things went backwards through most of the 70s and 80s until the 1990s. The good news is it's a 3 steps forward two steps back kind of thing, so not all of the progress will be rolled back, just like the 80s didn't completely undo the 60s.

Yup that's pretty much how i view things right now.
That being said, the world was sometime SO close to be an insane mess.
https://in.rbth.com/blogs/2013/09/12/the_man_who_stopped_world_war_iii_and_sacrificed_his_career_29317
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:17 am

Political Correctnes goes two ways. For many people, it has been THE reason to stop self-reflecting on their own biases and blame someone else. 'I'm not racist, you are being politically correct'. These are usually people who 'tell it like it is', but 1. that concept is bullshit. 2. Somehow telling it like it is rarely means standing up for the rights of people of color, women and LGBTQ people. There are some insufferable people on the left side of the political spectrum, but they are merely that: insufferable. People moaning about 'PC liberal culture' is often them being uncomfortable with being called out for holding questionable opinions about other groups of people. And then they get mad when you say happy holidays instead of merry christmas :LOL: Selective outrage, and all that.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:01 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Political Correctnes goes two ways. For many people, it has been THE reason to stop self-reflecting on their own biases and blame someone else. 'I'm not racist, you are being politically correct'. These are usually people who 'tell it like it is', but 1. that concept is bullshit. 2. Somehow telling it like it is rarely means standing up for the rights of people of color, women and LGBTQ people. There are some insufferable people on the left side of the political spectrum, but they are merely that: insufferable. People moaning about 'PC liberal culture' is often them being uncomfortable with being called out for holding questionable opinions about other groups of people. And then they get mad when you say happy holidays instead of merry christmas :LOL: Selective outrage, and all that.

Good points. The right wing outrage about "Happy Holidays", Red Starbucks cups, and anything LGBTQ is just as bad as the worst political correctness on the left.

I think our biggest issue is that in this social media era we are living in a post-truth society. People get their news from sites that promote their pre-existing views and it doesn't matter if that news is trustworthy or not. People are more likely to trust propaganda that promotes a theory or viewpoint they agree with than real news that makes them think about whether or not their views are correct. If you challenge their views, they get extremely outraged because they have the truth and everyone else is trying to destroy society.

I think a lot of people are starting to realize this but I don't see how it's going to change with the way we get our news now.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Some interesting reading here. Smile

I had no idea this topic was addressed to me. Thanks Chris for asking.

I'm busy as ever with modding if thats what we're still calling it. We just finished Green Arrow which is a major weight off my shoulders. You'd think I would take a holiday after that project but, no, I'm still as motivated as ever to do cool stuff with wolf3d like a lot of people here.

I can't say much about what I'm working on now. Its too early.

I've signed up to Spotify to listen to a few classic game music albums and Nine Inch Nails albums. Its helping me get through the 1.25 hour drive to work. Yes my real job involves coding. I don't do that much coding myself lately but I review a few developers code to ensure quality and to get projects done on time.

As of right now my wife is making me a nice breakfast while I write this post. She is very tolerant of my hobby life. Smile

How about you Chris? You don't feel too exposed to respond here do you? Smile
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Not sure if I'm the Gary, but I am a Gary, so... things are going pretty good I must say. Normal work and life hassles and a brutally early winter in Michigan aside, I can't complain. Kids are now 8 and 5, so they're getting to an age where they can learn about more complex things. Debating about when to give my oldest a walk through of the classic gaming world.

My own Wolf3D interest is ebbing and flowing to more extremes than ever before. When I'm back into it, I'm really into it, and when I'm not, I can't even be bothered. Right now, to quote a very appropriate reference Barry made above, the pendulum always swings to and fro -- in all things in life. Right now I'm finally back into the game and am ready to see Hitler at the Ninth Gate through to completion. Like many of us, I've definitely had a problem with seeing projects through to the end. This will mark two in a row that I have actually finished.

How are things in Mr. Chokan's world? I can't believe it's been nearly two decades since I first jumped into the community. It's crazy how time flies. I feel like I'm getting to that age where I'm unintentionally remarking about the good 'ole days.... like a dinosaur not realizing he's stuck in the years of his youth. Speaking of which, I've really picked up the guitar again and have been playing like crazy the past year or so. I've been obsessed with learning to play everything off of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness right down to the specific tone of each layered guitar. The OCD has to find an outlet somewhere -- whether it's HEX'ing ceiling colors or chasing down guitar tones for no real reason other than to do it. I'm pretty sure I sent you an old email back in the day about how I hated Tales of a Scorched Earth and that it was the worst song on the album. Now it's my favorite to play after Here Is No Why. Ah, simpler times.

Changing gears... it was really interesting reading the thoughts of everyone on world events earlier in the thread. I know a lot of forums try to stay apolitical, but it's cool to see a rational and well-thought out discourse on things. Regardless of where you stand on any of the issues, there's no doubt that we are definitely living through some times of great change. Just like the pendulum swinging left/right, gloablist/nationalist, PC/anti-PC, I think it also swings in terms of overall volatility. We're really a confounding species when you get down to it.

And so ends my stream of consciousness response to a thread that mentioned my name.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:00 pm

Gary wrote:
And so ends my stream of consciousness response to a thread that mentioned my name.

Just so you know, the name there will show up as the name of whoever you're logged in as. It's a clever piece of forum code, but I'm not really sure why it's necessary Razz
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Gary wrote:

Just so you know, the name there will show up as the name of whoever you're logged in as. It's a clever piece of forum code, but I'm not really sure why it's necessary Razz

Aha! Thanks. I was breezing through all the responses and couldn't make sense of it.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:47 am

I'm okay... Smile Life is busy lately, alot of expenses too. Less time to mod, for sure.

Doing some pause with Wolf3D modding (as the rest of the team are busy with other stuff...I have to say Green Arrow mod took alot of internal/creative resources on our side, took our air out that will take a while to refill), but I'm doing (since the summer) alot of art for "Blade of Agony" (well, it's Wolf3D related too, it's WolfenDoom after all, you should all try this amazing WolfenDoom mod), some epic work there. This currently occupies me modding-wise and I hope many art made will be useful in future Wolf3D mods. Can't show it yet, it's a surprise.
http://boa.realm667.com/index.php/team

BoA did take alot of my personal attention from Wolf3D modding back into Doom-related territory recently (sure after winning a Cacodemon recently with this project). Just as "WolfTC for Doomsday" did for me in other direction as the time. I have some warm welcome there and appreciation, people there try to lure me back into Doom modding and there aren't there too many good pixel artists "for hire" that are not busy with other things Smile
So far I try to live both modding worlds.

There is a documentary movie that is going to be shown at big international film festival that has a few minutes about Sonder, with my commentary/interview and even ingame video. This is just one of the projects showcased there, but it was cool for me to record a series of interviews/commentary about the subject.

How are you?
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:00 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

doomjedi >> Woah, that looks looks so awesome !
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: