DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Goodbye
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 am
   Subject: Goodbye
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Been here for a long time, and really nothing new to say...

Everyone knows I had my fill of post-release BS a few weeks ago, well I've had my fill of ignorance BS when it comes to my artwork, writing, videos, and NO support for everything I took my time out to make for people on Patreon...

All these years I got NOTHING out of trying fun and entertaining stuff for others so I'm done with all of it. Deleting my account here. No new mods, no new videos are coming, and I'm bloody Hell NOT gonna make designs or sprites for anyone...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:18 pm
   Subject: Re: Goodbye
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm sorry to see you go, Soldat. But I hope you have success wherever your projects take you. Take care. Smile
stathmk
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 71
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Take care.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:42 am

It's a shame you didn't got what you were seeking for.
Hopefully you'll return and start having some fun again.
Until then enjoy your life ! Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:15 pm

For what it's worth I always enjoyed your work, stretching back to the Secret Missions. There were also quite a handful of more urban, gritty cyberpunk kind of mods that were pretty edgy and interesting, no one can say you didn't try to steer away from the WWII-themes that usually fill up most people's idea of a Wolf mod. Criticism and current online behavior has changed quite a bit, it can be very hard to dodge and quite unbearable, but it seems there's no way around it.

Sitting watching Ling Yan's YouTube playthroughs of the new Green Arrow thing you kind of find yourself thinking, do I really need to make more new mods? Do people really need this when they've got to that stage now? But it all changes. My opinion of wanting to keep making stuff for Wolf changes all the time, and I hope yours does too, Soldat..... Anyway... Thanks for your time and I hope you'll have a good one.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Thomas wrote:

Sitting watching Ling Yan's YouTube playthroughs of the new Green Arrow thing you kind of find yourself thinking, do I really need to make more new mods? Do people really need this when they've got to that stage now? But it all changes. My opinion of wanting to keep making stuff for Wolf changes all the time, and I hope yours does too, Soldat..... Anyway... Thanks for your time and I hope you'll have a good one.

This is a good point and in my opinion, it depends on what kind of mod you want to make and what you want out of it. If you are wanting to push the envelope of what can be done with the engine, the days of doing that without extensive coding knowledge, major dedication, and the drive to see the project through are long gone. On the flip side, I don't think the pressure to push boundaries is quite as high today as it was in the renaissance era.

Sometimes after modding for a while, no matter how extensive, a person can suffer burnout and want to take some time away. For whatever reason, I have always found myself coming back to Wolf3D even after years away.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:52 am

Thomas wrote:
Criticism and current online behavior has changed quite a bit, it can be very hard to dodge and quite unbearable, but it seems there's no way around it.

One has to learn how to pick their battles. Your real fans' criticism is what should count, some random stranger in YT comments isn't going to be as involved or inclined to care, same with anyone else in that camp. Maybe helps that I'm naturally cynical and don't have much expectations from most people.
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you and all the best.

Ubermutant
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Happy Trails

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Too bad, you created some interesting mods along the way. I can understand your annoyances - when you put a lot of effort into a mod, and people only comment on that one tiny bug or that misplaced sprite that causes them to not get 100% rations on everything - it can be rather disappointing, to say the least. At the same time, your skin needs to be thick if you want to pursue any modding/indie gaming/artistic endeavor, because you are bound to get criticism about stuff. And some of it is justified too, and that is what you need to absorb in order to get better at it. But at the same time, you also need to let it go and go back to the core - which is that it's a hobby, you're doing it because you enjoy the process of creating something, and you're creating something that you want to see and, perhaps, even need to express. And that makes you vulnerable, but that is the risk of creating something and then sharing it with the world.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 am

Cyanosis wrote:
Your real fans' criticism is what should count, some random stranger in YT comments isn't going to be as involved

Can't believe I'm breaking this down again: Criticism ISN'T the issue what IS the issue is too many idiots telling me to slave away my life to make THEIR FREE ENTERTAINMENT. I have a job, a life, and a wife that I drive to her job and work around her schedule as well. Yesterday I was in town for 11 HOURS and people (here at DHW) expect me to just drop what I'm doing and fix every stupid little issue they find. You know what that is? Expecting a top of the line perfect glitch free game developed for FREE...

The YouTube channel Arktik and I put work into gets little to NO ATTENTION at all. Meaning NO RANDOM YT STRANGERS!!! Save for the 1 comment I heard HERE at DHW that my video quality is "amateurish" compared to other YouTubers... Y'know, those guys with $1000 computers to play all the latest games in full HD AND record them too with pricey screen capture gear like the Framemeister. My hand drawn and digitally painted art, which has proved crucial with some character and monster design for my mods, gets the same little to NO ATTENTION.

The ignorance of my Patreon, my artwork, my videos, and borderline insulting demands I received (I'm not paid by anybody, I don't HAVE to fix anything) proves how poorly respected and valued my work is. Yes, I used the word "worthless" as a sarcastic remark to everyone frequently telling me to fix crap, to add controls to suit THEIR needs, to make the gameplay easier for THEM, etc etc, the list of BS goes on. And when I say "no" players just try to go to other developers to "fix" my work? Oh, yet everyone's telling me to come back to that treatment after taking a break? HELL NO!!!

After ALL the years I've been here it's clear MY time, MY ideas, and ultimately, MY work isn't as respected as deserved. I don't get paid, I don't f***ing enjoy coding or putting that much effort out making everything just to hear stupid crap! I'm done, figure it out: It's not valid criticism but stupid annoying people that pushed me over the edge and pissed me off! Twisted Evil
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 161
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 am

I'm sorry to see you like this, Josh, and I really wanted to stay out of this one, because I consider you a friend, but...

It seems like you are mad because nobody is backing your patreon, and you're deciding to just not do anything at all because of it. That's pretty low. I can understand why you make a patreon, but I think it is rather selfish to put this on this community whom you've been part of for so long and then leave it like this.

People are going to criticize everything, big or small, and I think you took it way too personal this time.

Anyways, whether this is permanent or not, take care.

-Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:29 am

gerolf wrote:
People are going to criticize everything, big or small, and I think you took it way too personal this time.
F*** "criticism"! I critique on my website (which I'm sure half of the users here never been to my website or even bother reading my reviews), I NEVER tell companies or modders "go back and fix this". I'm dropping this because too many people told me to fix MY work which I don't get paid for and I get NOTHING outta making it. I've got better things in my life than put up with this. The modding process isn't fun for me, my work and I are clearly not respected, there's no reason for me to keep working.

Getting pissed about Patreon: $2 a month is less than 15 minutes on California minimum wage (Going up to $10.80/hr in January). The only person backing me was an artist giving me pointers and wanted to see me move forward with my work. Didn't even know her for 6 months. I've been cranking out work here since 2003 and I've been given drama and headaches at the release of each mod! I'm also pissed as I told everyone "you want me to keep working after treating me like crap with Krucible? Let's talk about this, here's an option" and when I mentioned "money" no one wanted to say anything... That was brought up AFTER the BS I dealt with from Krucible, Tara Carmichael, Insanitarium, Frayed, so on and so on... You've been here a while, Gerolf. You've heard me bitch about how fed up I was. You've even seen the whole Poet copyright infringement pile of crap I had to deal with and how I had to "fix" that just to make him happy.

Bottom line is you guys tell me "Don't quit. You'll regret it!" Why? How will I regret this? My ideas and concepts are still in MY head as well as my creative drive, the only ones missing out are you guys which have left me feeling like garbage. Since the demise of Krucible, no one's given me a single reason to keep working, just been told "you'll regret this." So far I haven't, but I have seen enough to know I'm making the RIGHT decision for ME about MY work.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:09 pm

Okay, guys. It's time I put some things in perspective for you all.

Every time someone posts something trying to make Soldat reconsider his bowing out, it only leaves him irritated. If you keep making these sorts of posts, he'll become more and more sure that he never wants to post at all in DHWs - period.

Although I'm upset that Soldat 555 isn't doing the Wolf modding scene anymore, he seems to be completely open and honest about his reasons. He's not posting anything harmful when he speaks about it, and he's not showing any sort of ill intent as far as I can tell.

Like other people here, I've told Soldat my reasons for wanting him to stay, and like a lot of other people, I was hoping he would reconsider. But he hasn't. Now, if you're convinced that him leaving the DHWs community is a mistake, all you can do is just let him make it. Like it or not, letting people make their own mistakes is the only way they'll learn, it's the only way they grow, and it's the only way they'll gain wisdom.

Some of us have told Soldat that leaving was a mistake. But whether that's true or not, to keep pressing him to stay is a mistake itself ... pure and simple. So why don't we try setting an example here? Let's try the practice-what-you-preach approach, because if disobeying it actually worked, it would've worked by now. I say it's high time we stopped fighting this fight, and started giving Soldat our blessing.

Take care, Soldat. Take care. Smile
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm

It sounds like Soldat 555 wants his account deleted, but is unaware a moderator/admin has to do it?

Soldat 555 wrote:
Deleting my account here.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:18 pm

@TRICOB
Thank you for putting it bluntly and putting in some common sense. I really do believe you are one of few who will miss me. Smile

@CHRIS
THANK YOU, CHRIS!!! I've been trying to figure that out lately and have been stumped as to why I couldn't find anything! Very Happy lol

Yes, please, moderators, delete the Soldat 555 account! Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Just the account, or all your posts as well?
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:36 pm

I definitely can understand how disheartening it can feel when you work hard on something and all people do is complain. Also, the negative people are generally much louder at expressing their dissatisfaction than those who enjoy it. When you put a ton of effort into something, even the smallest criticism can seem like it cuts to the bone.

In addition, and this is just my own opinion, I can understand the frustration of some others when it comes to playing a buggy release, and this isn't limited to Wolf3D. I've lost count of indie games I've downloaded off Steam that I didn't play much of because they weren't ready to be released because of technical glitches. Once it becomes known that a release is buggy and has a lot of problems, fewer people even bother playing to begin with.

In terms of "you'll regret it", all I've seen people say is to not delete your work because you might some day regret it, which I believe is true. However, I do believe that the nature of Wolf3D modding (or modding any game for that matter) i.e. providing "free entertainment" as you put it, has to be something you enjoy. If you no longer have a passion for the hobby and you see it as more of a chore, then it's probably time to take a break. The community will be here if you ever want to come back and start again.

Anyways, take care!

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Whatever the case I personally will not stand in Soldat's way... I completely understand what he feels. But who knows what time will bring. Looking at the future of this community I suppose we're all a bit worried that more and more members will drop off though there have luckily been some good new additions to the community lately. There is just such a fundamental chunk of the community missing in action: Brian, Andy, ack, BrotherTank, AReyeP and MCS were pretty much the 1st generation cornerstone in this community. Soldat came around in what I would call the 2nd generation of Wolf modding, a little time went by and then Richter Belmont aka Kyo Kusanagi and myself joined... But there has been so much coming and going. Luckily good projects are still being released and people stick at it; even Barry, Gary, Chris, vital people from the 1st gen. of Wolf modding are still alive and kicking, even after some absence. I'm just a little bit worried about Tristan, he was back for a while and very ambitious with a cool looking new mod, a fresh start with the Dome etc... Soon it'll be 3 months since his last visit. But in this community that certainly doesn't mean the end.

Anyway, just some thoughts going through my head. Still respect Soldat, Joshua, Mad Dog and his cool mods and also his decision to call it quits. Certainly a heavy body of work got accumulated after all these years.
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:28 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Just the account, or all your posts as well?
I'd prefer just the account as others might find my coding ideas useful or at least interesting. Same goes for my released mods and demos.

But if it all has to be deleted due to website restrictions or coding complications or whatever then that's fine by me.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Cool, then I'll keep the posts up and delete the account.

Take care!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks for the PM, Soldat. It's obviously too late to PM you back now, but I did want you to know that the PM was received. Smile
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 91

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:52 pm

This reminds me of something that happened on the Sierra Planet forums many years ago.

Read the following thread Kat posted:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130119223820/http://www.sierraplanet.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1129

Note: You can't easily see it in the archived version, but Kat locked the thread after she posted it.

Kat feels rather differently about this type of thing. Smile

This thread Kat posted demonstrates it's own point. This embarrassing event is now permanently archived. Smile

I know which user was deleted. I didn't know about her before this, and none of her posts, and no mention of her username, were archived. But I found them using Google Cache.

Her username was: plunderedheart

She seemed like such an innocent girl. Smile

She probably never imagined that 6 years later, someone would mention her username again. Smile
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:06 am

I'm grateful Soldat didn't want to have his content deleted. It feels awfully disruptive when it happens (especially if such a person was a prominent poster) and I find it stupid.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:05 am

Too bad you're leaving the community.
You're a very interesting and inspiring modder.
I can understand your frustration, I'm doing myself mods that takes years to make, and sometimes it seems not worth the effort...especially if you don't have other things in life to balance it and become too much dependent on it and it's emotional "revenue". Or on the contrary, when life is busy and you're fighting the find time to mod this, to extent not all can know or appreciate.
But leaving it all seems too emotional and less rational...this is home...for us.

Quote:
Sitting watching Ling Yan's YouTube playthroughs of the new Green Arrow thing you kind of find yourself thinking, do I really need to make more new mods?

Hope this mod of ours won't be modding demotivator to the community (that seems to be less on new mods recently, I remember times when every week was something new), like (amazing IMO) "Brutal Doom" was for Doom modding. I have my love for classic mods and love to play them...it calms me, less sensory attack (to keep brain at more rest), only old and known with fast pace and addictive gameplay you can play without thinking about it too much, just releasing inner stress my running and killing some nazis...
Don't stop Smile You're doing great mods.
I looked the same way at some other mods and such... But quality is not about the engine (moreso, creativity and vision sometime show more in more limited engines and simpler environments (mapping can be advaced, heh)) but about inspiration, creativity, heart put into it, detail...thought and love. Added to addictive fast-pace gameplay of classic Wolf3D.
Heart and soul always shows and shines though in wolf3d mods...this art of making more with less. More with more is boring, that's why I don't mod modern games. Simplicity always had and will have a charm noone can compete with.
Advanced engine gives you more opportunity, but also takes out some of the classic charm and simplicity of the run&shoot gameplay and design, also required more effort and so we can see less mods made.
All kind of mods have a place...and the more advanced engines get (both modern and TR ones) the more we miss the classic feel and look.
Keep it up! Smile
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 am

Quote:
Heart and soul always shows and shines though in wolf3d mods...this art of making more with less.

I'm in love with that quote, I feel the same way. Smile
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ginyu wrote:
Quote:
Heart and soul always shows and shines though in wolf3d mods...this art of making more with less.

I'm in love with that quote, I feel the same way. Smile

Exactly, this is one of the largest appeals of the game for me besides just being a really great game to begin with is how it achieves so much with so little.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: