DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

3D Models to replace Player Weapons
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> SDL Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 pm
   Subject: 3D Models to replace Player Weapons
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I am looking for a mod or project which adds support for a common 3D model format such as MD2 to Wolf4SDL. I would like to use it for, say, replacing the pistol/machinegun and chaingun player weapon animations.

Any help is appreciated.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:43 pm
   Subject: Re: 3D Models to replace Player Weapons
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What 3D models does NewWolf use? I saw an update of that one which used 3-D models.

Yes, NewWolf. It was one of the first Windows-based ports of Wolf3D we ever saw. It started off using the library of OpenGL during its slow, olden days. The NewWolf project was abandoned quite a while back, although releases using the source as a base have surfaced on Wolf3D websites numerous times since then.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:02 pm

This would probably require a lot of extra work on the renderer, and I wouldn't recommend doing it in software.
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 91

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:00 pm

Tricob wrote:
It started off using the library of OpenGL during its slow, olden days.

OpenGL isn't a library. It's an API. It is normally implemented in graphics hardware drivers, but can also be implemented in software.

It's not OpenGL itself that's slow -- it is the applications using it. OpenGL is simple to use, but difficult and complex to use efficiently.

OpenGL has existed since 1992. In the time since then, of course, many, many, many new features have been added.

But here's the ridiculous thing: No features have ever been removed.

OpenGL uses an "extension" system for adding new features. Proposed features start out as extensions, and are then added to the core profile if they are approved (originally by the Architecture Review Board (ARB), now by the Khronos Group).

When OpenGL 3 was released, many of the obsolete features were deprecated. They were removed from the core profile in OpenGL 3.1. But a "compatibility" extension was released that adds them back. The compatibility profile is default; applications have to explicitly request the core profile in order to use it.

And OpenGL 4+ has never even deprecated any functionality, let alone removed it.

The result? OpenGL is an incredibly complex and bloated API which consists of more than 20 years of graphics functionality all stapled together.

It has many, many redundant ways of doing things. Usually, the wrong ways of doing things are simpler than the right ways, so applications tend to do things the wrong way.

Early this year, a new API was released which is a replacement for OpenGL: Vulkan

NewWolf didn't take full advantage of OpenGL's capabilities even when it was released. It still uses a raycaster to determine visible surfaces. It doesn't use depth buffering at all.

It also uses interpolated texture filtering, which doesn't look good with Wolf3D's low resolution textures and sprites.

As some of you know, I have made my modified version of Wolf4SDL use OpenGL 3.3 to display the screen image. I added that feature in early 2013. I actually was planning to make it use it to render the game world as well. But when I got my new computer in October of that year, the game ran much, much faster, and I decided it wasn't necessary.

In 2014, I added an advanced AI system to the game which is extremely performance expensive. I am planning to make a change to it which will improve performance while still having the same enemy behavior. But it still will be expensive, so again I am planning to create a hardware 3D renderer for Wolf4SDL, which takes full advantage of the capabilities of modern graphics hardware.

What I haven't decided is whether it will use OpenGL 3.3 or Vulkan. OpenGL 3.3 is far more widely supported, and I have a lot of experience with it, but obviously, Vulkan is far better.

Last edited by Matthew on Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 am

If you have the time, make a renderer in both APIs. Really if all you're doing is shifting the rendering to 3D and adding very little, though, OpenGL is probably better (there's no reason to restrict people to needing a card that supports Vulkan if you're not going to do anything that really uses it more than it would OpenGL).
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:00 am

SDL2 is another aspect to be considered.

How would you organise walls and sprites into textures in a GL version of Wolf4SDL? Atlas maps?

Vulkan looks promising. Thats a whole other graphics API I need to learn Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:14 am

Matthew wrote:
Tricob wrote:
It started off using the library of OpenGL during its slow, olden days.
OpenGL isn't a library. It's an API. It is normally implemented in graphics hardware drivers, but can also be implemented in software.
Ah, yes - that's right. Thank you for the correction. Smile
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:10 am

linuxwolf wrote:
SDL2 is another aspect to be considered.

There is an extension for creating Vulkan surfaces for SDL2 windows.

https://github.com/corngood/SDL_vulkan

linuxwolf wrote:
How would you organise walls and sprites into textures in a GL version of Wolf4SDL? Atlas maps?

The best way would be to use array textures.

linuxwolf wrote:
Vulkan looks promising. Thats a whole other graphics API I need to learn Smile

Have you used modern OpenGL? It is rather complex.

Vulkan also is rather complex. But it is much nicer.

Have you ever used shaders? If not, you had better be prepared to. Vulkan requires you to use shaders. It doesn't allow you to cheat and use the fixed-function pipeline. Smile

Have you ever used uniform blocks? If not, you had better be prepared to. Vulkan requires that all uniform data be in blocks. At least it allows you to use push constants instead of buffer backing with small amounts of data. Smile

Have you ever used fences to do synchronization? If not, you had better be prepared to. Vulkan requires that all synchronization be manually done. It has several different types of synchronization primitives for different types of synchronization, not just fences. Smile
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Given the number of choices over graphics API - even within the same API there are lots of better ways to do things - why not define some kind of scene graph and then defer the implementation till a later time?

Not only defer the implementation but allow for multiple implementations to be added to the same framework.

We can have the old wolf3d renderer, OpenGL renderer and Vulkan. We can choose either SDL1 or SDL2.

Granted this abstraction layer would incur a performance cost on some systems but it would provide a lot of flexibility. Its just a thought.
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:56 pm

What I am planning to do is have the rendering done in modules separate from the rest of the game code. This will allow it to easily be added to mods.

The geometry will be separated into two categories: static and streamed. Static geometry will be compiled when a map is loaded. Streamed geometry will be generated every frame.

Anything that never can change will be static geometry. Anything that can change will be streamed geometry. Doors, actors, and static objects will be streamed geometry. Pushwalls will be as well, because they can move.

The user interface will be displayed as a screen texture with alpha masking. This is the method my modified version of OpenGlide uses to display LFB writes.
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:54 pm

There is another API I came across just today. Its called GLFW. From what I gather its an alternative to SDL.

I'm trying to integrate this new API with my framework currently. I have defined a new compilation flag in version.h for it. It will disable all calls to SDL library and enable OpenGL rendering.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:43 pm

GLFW doesn't provide sound, so you'll have to look into something else for that (OpenAL seems nice).
linuxwolf
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Its a shame they don't have the support but I will look into OpenAL anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> SDL Code Crackers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: