DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[RELEASE] Atomprojekt
Page 4 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm
   Subject: Re: [RELEASE] Atomprojekt
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thanks, found the exit Smile

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Thanks! Not intended as a variant on that tune, though. You meant this tune, right?

Sorry, my mistake, meant E1M8, the Boss level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volI6Q40TQQ
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi, Kumano. I have hidden your posted maps with the Spoiler button. This was done at the request of Barry. I was tempted to hide them without his request, but I wasn't entirely sure Barry was against such posts (If you aren't checking level numbers, it isn't immediately obvious what spoilers are being exposed). Thanks to Barry for PMing me and letting me know where things stand. Smile

You're not in trouble, Kumano. I just ask that you keep something in mind - that there are those who haven't made it as far in the game as you, and they'd like to keep the opportunity to be surprised. Smile
Kumano
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you can use the "show spoiler" button...

BTW: That shortcut in lvl 11 was awsome, I was lucky to blast through with a chaingun, love instant action like that!
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:32 pm

@ronwolf1705 Is the track on Floor 11 based on DooM E1M8 ('Sign of Evil') at all? doomjedi is interested and so am I now.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 am

Nope, not based on that tune. Any similarities that may arise could be there because both songs are in the same key, I think. But it's not inspired by that tune.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 am

Level 7 felt like a nightmarish combination of every vicious part of Episode 4. I missed some bits here and there and enjoyed the battle. Level 8 looks interesting, just got there...
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 am
   Subject: [RELEASE] Atomprojekt

Just finished Unit 1. That was quite the boss level! Very well executed. On to the next stage...
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:49 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Nope, not based on that tune. Any similarities that may arise could be there because both songs are in the same key, I think. But it's not inspired by that tune.

Seemed similar, that fatal feel...

Ron, take a look at our dev. forum, we need to know if you're on board.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Am now on level 16. Vicious gameplay thus far! I mean I loved Armageddon, TSDT and Domination when I was first getting into mods but this just takes it all to a whole new level. No mercy! But in the good way. Barry remains a source of inspiration. Wicked designs.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Thomas wrote:
Am now on level 16. Vicious gameplay thus far! I mean I loved Armageddon, TSDT and Domination when I was first getting into mods but this just takes it all to a whole new level. No mercy! But in the good way. Barry remains a source of inspiration. Wicked designs.

Thanks Thomas! Very glad you are enjoying it and thanks for the compliments about the design!

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:51 pm

You're welcome... But I must say... Playing level 18, ending up with a knife, tiring of trying to stab the general to death, starting over, yada-yada... I mean... This is a boss level... Sure more ammo would have been appropriate? Just a tiny bit? I know from experience that vicious mapping looks good, but in terms of gameplay it can really get tedious at times.

Aesthetically and in terms of gameplay - not to mention the awesomely atmospheric new music - this is brilliant. Just came out of level 20 which took me back to the good old days of levels 11 & 12 of TSDT which were so inspirational in terms of making a proper gray w/slime level... Spacious yet still narrowly winding, super large, not stuffed with guards. A sense of abandonment; a true sewer kind of feeling. Absolute winner.

Just got into level 21, don't know how it will turn out. Mutants and no chain gun is a vicious combo!

Am also slowly starting up Hitler at the Ninth Gate while playing this one. Amazing how you guys are back while some of us newcomers are just sitting around doing f... all... And don't really have to, seeing as these mods are so immersive and brilliant.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Thomas wrote:
You're welcome... But I must say... Playing level 18, ending up with a knife, tiring of trying to stab the general to death, starting over, yada-yada... I mean... This is a boss level... Sure more ammo would have been appropriate? Just a tiny bit? I know from experience that vicious mapping looks good, but in terms of gameplay it can really get tedious at times.

Did you find the secret with the crimson key? 18 would be almost impossible without it. Kudos to you if you managed to beat it without it.

Last edited by Barry on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Nope I didn't... Escaped narrowly with a machine gun but it was well worth it. I play on skill 4 so it was tough but rewarding in the end nevertheless. I've started playing games for fun, rather than obsessively going around the 3 x 100 % ratio. For example I haven't found any secret levels yet. I don't really feel like I need to right now anyway. I enjoy this game as it is right now. At another time I'll maybe play it and go for the full ratio, but for now it's just about getting some of the secrets, shooting and looting much as I can. I enjoy it immensely nevertheless, probably even more, than if I had to go around every level and not pull the lever before getting the full 300.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Thomas wrote:
Nope I didn't... Escaped narrowly with a machine gun but it was well worth it. I play on skill 4 so it was tough but rewarding in the end nevertheless. I've started playing games for fun, rather than obsessively going around the 3 x 100 % ratio. For example I haven't found any secret levels yet. I don't really feel like I need to right now anyway. I enjoy this game as it is right now. At another time I'll maybe play it and go for the full ratio, but for now it's just about getting some of the secrets, shooting and looting much as I can. I enjoy it immensely nevertheless, probably even more, than if I had to go around every level and not pull the lever before getting the full 300.

Kudos to you then! I don't think even I could beat this level without the crimson key (which opens the supply stashes necessary to defeat the boss).

I agree with your method of play and that's actually how I play most mods.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 pm

That's how I play as well, but when I played 18 it was very obvious to me I needed to find another key. It's reasonably logical where it's hidden too.

Glad you're playing it and enjoying it, though Very Happy

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:57 pm

It was already very close to it, but levels 19 and 20 just vaulted Atomprojekt into the top spot for greatest mod of all time in my book. I am floored by the creativity and execution within the original Wolf3D atmosphere.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Barry wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Kudos to you then! I don't think even I could beat this level without the crimson key (which opens the supply stashes necessary to defeat the boss).

I agree with your method of play and that's actually how I play most mods.

Well, I couldn't, at first try, but with a little more caution and doorway knifin' and all that other stuff you need to do to survive it actually worked out quite good. Just reached level 22. Still no chain gun!

Level 21 was a monster in terms of design. Everything the original Episode 2 ought to be. A little bit of Bucksnort in there too? Don't know if you ever played his stuff. Very compact, very slimy and messy, very mutant-based but essentially a top notch tool for the player to showcase his chops and likewise for the mapper to pull off massive amounts of debris and slime plus proper and tasteful enemy placement in a rather crammed amount of space.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 am

Those who don't search for chainguns shall not find any...

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 am

Well I did & I got one (at level 23). So what's your point, dude?
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:59 am

Every level has a chaingun, but every chaingun requires at least one secret. 'Search' refers to searching for secrets, in this case.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:05 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
'Search' refers to searching for secrets, in this case.

Oh, that's what search means? Tank you veddy much! My English bad! Razz
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Man, level 27 was just beautiful. Been a long time since I've played a large level with a dark teal ceiling that stood out so vividly. Level 28, pretty well into it, really digging the Ramparts look. Barry's got a way with secret areas, the usage of columns as opposed to walls, that makes the levels come together in an entirely different fashion. They seem gigantic. Initially I thought this was 128x128!
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Thomas wrote:
Man, level 27 was just beautiful. Been a long time since I've played a large level with a dark teal ceiling that stood out so vividly. Level 28, pretty well into it, really digging the Ramparts look. Barry's got a way with secret areas, the usage of columns as opposed to walls, that makes the levels come together in an entirely different fashion. They seem gigantic. Initially I thought this was 128x128!

Thanks for the feedback and compliments! I agree, 25-29, because if their design, feel much bigger than they actually are.

You are getting close to Dr. Schabbs Smile Remember to find the secret supply stashes before you attempt it. Unlike the general, I don't think knifing him is even possible.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Found Schabbs and nailed him. Now I'm trying to work myself out of a peril on level 31. It's really, really tough. Bordering on the ridiculous. Probably I'm going to have to start over - after having played the level for 1 hours - with a pistol. Is that even possible? And why are there so many mega-spiders? I mean... They probably served a purpose way back when, but these days you could've actually added an actual spider enemy that you could kill. A little bit disappointed. But the overall design of level 31 is absolutely wonderful. Great usage of darkness and color with an overall catastrophic atmosphere.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Thomas wrote:
Found Schabbs and nailed him. Now I'm trying to work myself out of a peril on level 31. It's really, really tough. Bordering on the ridiculous. Probably I'm going to have to start over - after having played the level for 1 hours - with a pistol. Is that even possible? And why are there so many mega-spiders? I mean... They probably served a purpose way back when, but these days you could've actually added an actual spider enemy that you could kill. A little bit disappointed. But the overall design of level 31 is absolutely wonderful. Great usage of darkness and color with an overall catastrophic atmosphere.

Congrats on beating Schabbs. As for 31, you should have had a machine gun before you even had the bronze key or left the starting area. The start is the most difficult part. You can either run through the spiders or you can draw them out. They can't open doors so if you trap them in the starting area, they will stay there.

And yes, I could have added a new spider enemy that was killable, but I wanted to do a nod to Armageddon and this is the only level they appear on.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah I remember Armageddon level 10... And the spider tease in level 8... Freaked the hell out of me, I don't know why, haven't got that much of a problem with spiders. And for some reason it only began to bother me the second time I played Armageddon, the first time I loved it, the chaotic volcano stuff near the end... Absolutely wonderful. I remember the second time they upset me so much I had to MLI my way out of the level and have somebody in the room with me as I played. Yup that's how cool I am.

But the general thing about the reactor/lab part from Armageddon; that vibe has been souped up and made cool and transcendent with Atomprojekt. Those graphics still look awesome. But the overall PacMan ghost movement... Something creepy about it... It's just constant... Never goes away and can never die. Personally I never use them. Anyway... Starting over for the 2nd or 3rd time... I think I can do this. Certainly I don't want to chicken out now, so close to the end.

But now I dig what quartzdoll and even MrWolfForever and that whole gang is saying... There is a point where difficulty kills the fun. I know I caught hell for it with my latest project. And we're supposed to play this - for fun. That said, I have upped my playing skills a whole lot since moving on with this game over the weekend. It's been a long while since I've been caught up in a Wolf-related thing in this manner, either as a mapper or as a player. Thanks Barry!
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:09 pm

I released a small update.

http://www.wolfenvault.com/files/barry/ATOM.3.zip

-Fixes an issue in Floor 21 that makes getting 100% extra-tedious
-Replaced the unknown track on Floor 30 with one composed by RonWolf1705
-Adds a note to the 'Read This' informing the player that the 'Death Incarnate' skill level provides veteran players an extra challenge

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Finished level 31. Time said 30:35 though it felt like an eternity! This was 2nd, perhaps 3rd attempt. A very evocative level. Had to shut some big dumb spiders in. Must agree with those complimenting the new music; Ron composed some brilliant game music here. Can't remember whether it was level 27 or 28 or something... But it sounded like the Horst Wessel Leid with slightly different chords, almost a turn-around. Or perhaps it was level 25. Marvelous stuff that fits the atmosphere perfectly.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Thomas wrote:
Finished level 31. Time said 30:35 though it felt like an eternity! This was 2nd, perhaps 3rd attempt. A very evocative level. Had to shut some big dumb spiders in. Must agree with those complimenting the new music; Ron composed some brilliant game music here. Can't remember whether it was level 27 or 28 or something... But it sounded like the Horst Wessel Leid with slightly different chords, almost a turn-around. Or perhaps it was level 25. Marvelous stuff that fits the atmosphere perfectly.

Awesome. Glad you made it through and enjoyed it! You are inching ever closer to Floor 33, which is the pinnacle of this mod. I agree on the music. Thanks again to Ron for composing it. I especially like the tunes on 31 and 32. They really enhance the "lab" atmosphere.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:56 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thomas wrote:
Yeah I remember Armageddon level 10... And the spider tease in level 8... Freaked the hell out of me, I don't know why, haven't got that much of a problem with spiders. And for some reason it only began to bother me the second time I played Armageddon, the first time I loved it, the chaotic volcano stuff near the end... Absolutely wonderful. I remember the second time they upset me so much I had to MLI my way out of the level and have somebody in the room with me as I played. Yup that's how cool I am.

But the general thing about the reactor/lab part from Armageddon; that vibe has been souped up and made cool and transcendent with Atomprojekt. Those graphics still look awesome. But the overall PacMan ghost movement... Something creepy about it... It's just constant... Never goes away and can never die. Personally I never use them. Anyway... Starting over for the 2nd or 3rd time... I think I can do this. Certainly I don't want to chicken out now, so close to the end.

But now I dig what quartzdoll and even MrWolfForever and that whole gang is saying... There is a point where difficulty kills the fun. I know I caught hell for it with my latest project. And we're supposed to play this - for fun. That said, I have upped my playing skills a whole lot since moving on with this game over the weekend. It's been a long while since I've been caught up in a Wolf-related thing in this manner, either as a mapper or as a player. Thanks Barry!

You're welcome! Very glad you have enjoyed it so much. I probably enjoyed making this more than any other mod I have made. I understand what you mean about the difficulty. I have balanced the skill levels though at 50/20/30 across the entire mod. I know people who have found 'Death Incarnate' a little too tedious and they liked it much better on 'Bring em' On'.

As for Armageddon, that's kind of what I wanted to do with the lab section. I wanted to take what I tried to do with Armageddon and do it much better. Back when I did Armageddon, I only had a hex editor and FloEdit had not been invented yet, so I was stuck with the same number of textures that the original game had. That, combined with being better at mapping today than I was back then, has made the lab section what I would have loved the second unit of Armageddon to be.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 4 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to: