DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[RELEASE] Hitler at the Ninth Gate
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm
   Subject: [RELEASE] Hitler at the Ninth Gate
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Finally wrapped this one up. Major thank you once again to Barry Christian! He did the coding and let me use a few of his wall textures. Playing his outstanding mods Passage to Hollenteufel and Atomprojekt during development also kept my interest and inspiration strong throughout.

Like all of my previous work, this 9-level mod follows the look and style of the original game very closely. The map canvas is 128x128, but the levels in general are slightly smaller than those in Leiche Soldat.

Storyline

Drawing inspiration from the 1999 Roman Polanski film The Ninth Gate, which itself was based on the somewhat different but equally fascinating book El Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte, the story follows Hitler in his final days as the Third Reich faces annihilation. Allied Intelligence has reason to believe that the Furher has acquired a copy of the forbidden 1666 text entitled "The Nine Gates and the Kingdom of Shadows", which is reputed to have the power to raise the devil. This is done through careful interpretation of nine woodcut engravings in the book that depict nine gates through which the initiate must pass. Hitler believes that he is passing these gates in an ancient castle near Berlin, which hopefully makes him easier for you to find. What this means is that you must also pass through the nine gates in pursuit. Of course, there can't possibly be any truth to the Satanic imagery (right?), but proceed with caution nonetheless.

Full details are in the Read This! section of the game's main menu.

As an aside, I highly recommend both The Ninth Gate and El Club Dumas. They're both thrilling and thought provoking in their own ways.

Here's the download (updated for minor floor code bugs on 2/11/17):

www.mediafire.com/file/w69ktrttzby9d7g/Hitler_at_the_Ninth_Gate.zip

Last edited by Gary on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:46 pm
   Subject: Re: [RELEASE] Hitler at the Ninth Gate
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Awesome! It looks like my night is now booked..

And thanks for the complements regarding PTH and Atomprojekt!

I second the recommendation of the Ninth Gate. Excellent movie that kept me on the edge of my seat to the end.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Just finished the first level. I have to say, this was a very impressive map! Excellent use of the 128x128 canvas as well as implementing the symbolism of the gate into the map. The wide variety of room layouts and traps really keep you on your toes and in a heightened state of suspense. The multicolor brick texture was very nice. I also love the interesting, rewarding secrets.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:19 am

Played Level 3. Another excellent level with every part of the map being memorable. I really like the brown version of the Schabbs 2000 checker marble texture.

I am only three levels in, but I have to say that judging from what I've played so far, this will likely end up in my top 5 list of Wolf mods.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 1

india.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am

very large maps and many secrets to unveil. my nephew played 1st level for one hour and not ended yet. looks good. Smile
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 am

Barry wrote:
Played Level 3. Another excellent level with every part of the map being memorable. I really like the brown version of the Schabbs 2000 checker marble texture.

I am only three levels in, but I have to say that judging from what I've played so far, this will likely end up in my top 5 list of Wolf mods.

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. It really means a lot!

Glad you like the brown version of the old Schabbs 2000 checkered marble. I was originally going for a greenish tint, but my graphics skills are not exactly stellar. Either way, the look of it grew on me. That was always a texture that was easy to overuse, so I made sure to use it sparingly.
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:26 am

quartzdoll wrote:
very large maps and many secrets to unveil. my nephew played 1st level for one hour and not ended yet. looks good. Smile

Thanks! Yeah, level 1 can take a while. There are a few spots where there are multiple paths to the same area, oftentimes with one being much easier than the other. Levels 1, 4 and 8 are the longest players in the game.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:32 am

I actually got through Floor 4 relatively quickly. No 100% though.

Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:04 am

MrWolfForever wrote:
I actually got through Floor 4 relatively quickly. No 100% though.

Good to hear... I was worried about that one due to the maziness of it. I myself struggled with completing it quickly on my final playthrough even though I knew roughly where everything was.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Just finished Floor 6. This was definitely my favorite so far. I love the allusion to the movie in the beginning! I also really liked the use of enemies behind columns and multi-directional traps. This one was quite challenging. Excellent use of statics to really enhance the atmosphere and suspense.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Gary wrote:
Glad you like the brown version of the old Schabbs 2000 checkered marble. I was originally going for a greenish tint, but my graphics skills are not exactly stellar. Either way, the look of it grew on me. That was always a texture that was easy to overuse, so I made sure to use it sparingly.
I'm glad you didn't stick with green shading. The variety of shades it has with the Wolf3D palette just aren't there. SOD had two new green shades added, but they don't add up to much. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Where exactly did the Schabbs 2000 checkered marble originate? Also, the "black with pipe" wall (e.g. used heavily on Schabbs 2000 level 20) - where does that come from? Same place? Or were they originals? Either way, very vivid and memorable. Love them.

I'm playing this mod and I'm loving the expansiveness of it. Being a Schabbs 2000/Assassinate Hitler die-hard I do miss the compact, over-decorated stuff but this larger, expansive flow plays quite well. Very extensive Spear stone wall area, a lot of guards milling about (level 1). Enjoying this mod an awful lot.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Thomas wrote:

I'm playing this mod and I'm loving the expansiveness of it. Being a Schabbs 2000/Assassinate Hitler die-hard I do miss the compact, over-decorated stuff but this larger, expansive flow plays quite well. Very extensive Spear stone wall area, a lot of guards milling about (level 1). Enjoying this mod an awful lot.

Just finished Floor 7 myself. I think this mod gets it exactly right in terms of scale, being somewhere between the cramped style of Schabbs 2000 and the large, open Leiche Soldat.

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Tricob wrote:
I'm glad you didn't stick with green shading. The variety of shades it has with the Wolf3D palette just aren't there. SOD had two new green shades added, but they don't add up to much. Smile

Makes sense now that I was having trouble trying for green! The palette wasn't offering up much and it always looked cheesy.

Thomas wrote:
Where exactly did the Schabbs 2000 checkered marble originate? Also, the "black with pipe" wall (e.g. used heavily on Schabbs 2000 level 20) - where does that come from? Same place? Or were they originals? Either way, very vivid and memorable. Love them.

Both of those walls were new for Schabbs 2000. If memory serves, the checkered marble used a Quake I texture as a base that was then altered in some ancient picture editor. The biolabs wall was similarly pulled from something I think I found online and then altered for color.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I was originally afraid that level 1 was too large for an opener, but it sounds like it isn't bugging too many people.

Barry wrote:
Just finished Floor 6. This was definitely my favorite so far. I love the allusion to the movie in the beginning! I also really liked the use of enemies behind columns and multi-directional traps. This one was quite challenging. Excellent use of statics to really enhance the atmosphere and suspense.

Barry wrote:
Just finished Floor 7 myself. I think this mod gets it exactly right in terms of scale, being somewhere between the cramped style of Schabbs 2000 and the large, open Leiche Soldat.

The movie allusion in the beginning of level 6 was the first thing I thought of when conceiving the idea for the mod. I'm not great with graphics, but flipping the guard upside down and bending his leg wasn't difficult. Level 6 was also a bit of a self-parody about my inability to avoid at least one mountainside level in every mod. The original one from E5 just left too much of an impression on me.

You're moving through them quickly! Level 7 was a fun one to design. That one's a good example of the benefit of 128x128. You don't need to use the whole thing, but it does allow you to make a very wide level that you can't make in 64x64.
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:23 pm

MrWolfForever graciously pointed out a few minor bugs in some of the mapping and floor codes. I'm going to fix them as soon as I get a chance this evening and will upload updated files.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Gary wrote:
MrWolfForever graciously pointed out a few minor bugs in some of the mapping and floor codes. I'm going to fix them as soon as I get a chance this evening and will upload updated files.

I would also check Floor 8. I haven't finished the map yet and don't want to look at it until I am done, but there are some statues there. One in particular that stands out was the officer guarding the silver key. There were a few others though. I sent you a PM about a specific issue in Floor 7.

8 is an absolutely massive map and the layout and use of floor codes to keep the action going is masterful.

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks to Barry and MrWolfForever for noticing some floor coding bugs on levels 4, 5, 6 and 8 that were leading to statue guards. I apologize for the sloppiness on my part... I need to slow down on the playtesting phase and not play through it with my usual style of just running and shooting!

Here's the link to the updated file:

www.mediafire.com/file/w69ktrttzby9d7g/Hitler_at_the_Ninth_Gate.zip

If you're in the middle of a saved game prior to level 4, you should be able to just update the GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files, as those are the only ones that have changed.

Last edited by Gary on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:51 pm

I think Barry said above he found some issue in 7 as well? You don't list that level.

Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:53 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
I think Barry said above he found some issue in 7 as well? You don't list that level.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one. Fixed those statues. I can't believe I never noticed that deaf guard spaces that border both a wall and another deaf guard space can create statues. I knew the deaf guards caused problems immediately next to door spaces, but was unaware of this one.
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Fixed the link above as well as the top of the thread in order to capture a few last updates for the same bug in level 9.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 pm

In Floor 6, you had no floor codes assigned to some tiles. Those can always cause a problem and aren't related to deaf codes as far as I know.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 am

Gary wrote:
I can't believe I never noticed that deaf guard spaces that border both a wall and another deaf guard space can create statues. I knew the deaf guards caused problems immediately next to door spaces, but was unaware of this one.

Yup, this code will fix it though Wink
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?p=87030#87030
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:42 am

Chris wrote:
Gary wrote:
I can't believe I never noticed that deaf guard spaces that border both a wall and another deaf guard space can create statues. I knew the deaf guards caused problems immediately next to door spaces, but was unaware of this one.

Yup, this code will fix it though Wink
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?p=87030#87030
You beat me to it, Chris. Good work. Smile
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, guys. Good to know there's a way around it that doesn't require map design limitations.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Completed this just now. Wound up with 1.392.800 points, not that large of a score but I didn't really go for secret areas much. The more progress I made, the more I got into the layout of the levels. Level 4 especially stood out to me, and level 8 must be the largest Wolf level I have ever played. It took an eternity and it felt like an entire episode crammed into one level! It was well worth it. Though some areas were really slick and simplistic there were still traces of what I had seen and fallen in love with in Schabbs 2000, my favorite mod. Lots of heavily decorated areas and interesting designs. You were never quite safe, a lot of guards went after you, and though pickups were plenty you still got a decent challenge. The story line added to the underlying gloom, especially the last two levels had some nice, viciously detailed and gory areas. Very effective use of the cow carcass which is otherwise tough to make much of in a standard map setting.

Do yourself a favor and play this one, guys! It seems like quite a mouthful but it is really an interesting piece of work and really puts the 128x128 to use with great excess.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Thomas wrote:
Completed this just now. Wound up with 1.392.800 points, not that large of a score but I didn't really go for secret areas much. The more progress I made, the more I got into the layout of the levels. Level 4 especially stood out to me, and level 8 must be the largest Wolf level I have ever played. It took an eternity and it felt like an entire episode crammed into one level! It was well worth it. Though some areas were really slick and simplistic there were still traces of what I had seen and fallen in love with in Schabbs 2000, my favorite mod. Lots of heavily decorated areas and interesting designs. You were never quite safe, a lot of guards went after you, and though pickups were plenty you still got a decent challenge. The story line added to the underlying gloom, especially the last two levels had some nice, viciously detailed and gory areas. Very effective use of the cow carcass which is otherwise tough to make much of in a standard map setting.

Do yourself a favor and play this one, guys! It seems like quite a mouthful but it is really an interesting piece of work and really puts the 128x128 to use with great excess.

I second this. Brilliant design from start to finish that made me not want to stop playing. I don't think I've been as immersed in a Wolf mod since Schabbs 2000. This definitely has a place in my top five mods of all time. I am really anticipating whatever Gary does next.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Floor 4 was a bump in the road for me, but otherwise I can third this sentiment.

Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Thomas wrote:

Glad you liked it! Thank you very much for the compliments. Hitler at the Ninth Gate evolved as a side project off the one I'm getting back to now, which will be a 46-level continuous episode that will return to the old 64x64 canvas. I think I've finally exhausted my need for huge maps... for now anyway. Mapping level 8 on this one almost broke me. My goal with it was to go bigger than ever before with it since it was the last regular level.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Finally got into this. On Gate 5 now, found the elevator but trying to find the elusive bronze key to open the steel doors. Laughing
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:38 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I don't think one exists. That is just a trap enemies come from if I recall.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: