DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What is your preferred map editor?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What is your preferred map editor?
MapEdit
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Havoc's Wolfenstein Editor
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
WDC
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
ChaosEdit
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
FloEdit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 18
Total Votes : 18

Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm
   Subject: What is your preferred map editor?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What is your preferred editor for Wolf maps?

Thomas' post got me thinking about this. I would still prefer MapEdit if not for corruption problems with it using DOSBox on modern systems. I have found Havoc's Wolfenstein Editor to be an excellent MapEdit alternative and I transitioned to it quite easily. I was never able to get used to FloEdit or ChaosEdit for mapping. What about you?

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 pm
   Subject: Re: What is your preferred map editor?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My vote is for Mapedit but I mostly use Chaosedit these days because it's easier than using multiple editors Razz
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:47 pm

For the time being, I prefer ChaosEdit. The images for the walls and objects can be fine-tuned to look like anything I want. Havoc's editor does warrant another try from Yours Truly; it's had many updates since I first tried it out, and I've gone through an identity crisis since its release also, so odds are there's a lot of features it has that I'll feel differently about nowadays (not that it gave me much to complain about it before).
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:36 am

ChaosEdit has some serious flaws compared to WDC, but I find it hard to switch. The 3D preview is probably the biggest factor, and the grid is a big help too. WDC's Base Folder/Output Folder system is a neat idea, but I'm still getting used to it.
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I totally adopted Havoc! Mainly because of the zoom factor (I really can't see enough 1 pixel on modern resolutions, it is way too small on the screen).
It has all I need and the author is very responsive to fix bugs.

Regarding ChaosEdit, I don't like mapping in 3D, and it works only with the standard engine. I however use it in complement for graphics/sounds replacement or extraction.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:46 am

I dig HWE, though I ought to try the other ones at some point, HWE has been getting the job done, and I'd generally prefer 3D editing to grid based in other cases but Wolf3D's simplicity makes it easy to gauge how things will look in-game. I'd created all of floors 4 and 5 in my episode without launching Wolf3D once and when I did I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to change anything.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:21 am

MapEdit + DOSBox is what I use.

Barry wrote:
I would still prefer MapEdit if not for corruption problems with it using DOSBox on modern systems.

I am curious to hear about these corruption problems. What exactly can this combination cause?

Thanks,

Ariel

DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 pm
   Subject: What is your preferred map editor?

These days, I prefer WDC for mapping, though I might switch to HWE someday (if I can ever find the time to redo the thousands of map symbols I have.) WDC has a lot of useful features. It's very easy to add/edit map symbols (though you're limited to 16 colors) and you can go well over 512, which I frequently do. It's also able to edit more than 3 map planes and have symbols for those as well.

I don't like ChaosEdit's map editor much. I mean, it's pretty good if your mod doesn't have many significant changes, and it's certainly better than what I was using in my DOS modding days (FloEdit.) But there's no "Undo" function, you can't have more than 3 map planes, and you're limited to 512 symbols per plane. ChaosEdit is barely useful for editing the 3rd plane as it is, because you can't see where the walls are when you're in 3rd plane mode. The 3D view is nice, but I've learned to live without it. Having said that, ChaosEdit is my favorite editor when it comes to managing the VSWAP and VGAGRAPH, because it can add or delete an image almost anywhere in those files.

I was never able to get used to Mapedit for some reason, and I don't see much point in getting into it now.
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:49 pm

WSJ wrote:
These days, I prefer WDC for mapping, though I might switch to HWE someday (if I can ever find the time to redo the thousands of map symbols I have.) WDC has a lot of useful features. It's very easy to add/edit map symbols (though you're limited to 16 colors) and you can go well over 512, which I frequently do. It's also able to edit more than 3 map planes and have symbols for those as well.

I don't like ChaosEdit's map editor much. I mean, it's pretty good if your mod doesn't have many significant changes, and it's certainly better than what I was using in my DOS modding days (FloEdit.) But there's no "Undo" function, you can't have more than 3 map planes, and you're limited to 512 symbols per plane. ChaosEdit is barely useful for editing the 3rd plane as it is, because you can't see where the walls are when you're in 3rd plane mode. The 3D view is nice, but I've learned to live without it. Having said that, ChaosEdit is my favorite editor when it comes to managing the VSWAP and VGAGRAPH, because it can add or delete an image almost anywhere in those files.

I was never able to get used to Mapedit for some reason, and I don't see much point in getting into it now.
+1, and pretty much my sentiments exactly! Laughing

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

WSJ wrote:
It doesn't offer near the flexibility with the map symbols (neither walls nor objects), and the (DOS-based) limitations of the names of your folders and filenames pretty much kill it for me these days. MapEdit is quick and to-the-point when it comes to map editing, but it has drawbacks I've never been happy with.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: