DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolf3D Vault Featured Mods
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 am
   Subject: Wolf3D Vault Featured Mods
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

With over 900 mods in total going on the Vault, I want some way to point out the best ones, much like a restaurant with a huge menu will have some kind of indicator next to the most popular dishes. I am thinking I will use a BJ icon to indicate them. I need everyone's help in determining what to list as a featured mod. Here is what I am thinking so far for TCs. There are ones I am familiar with but I've had lengthy time away from Wolf so I am certain more should be added. What do you think should be a 'Featured Mod' in addition to these?

Absence - Havoc
All This & Wolf 3D - Thomas Weiling
Armageddon - Barry Christian
Assassinate Hitler - Gary Ragland
Atomprojekt - Barry Christian
Chemical Warfare - Jack Ryerson
Chokage - Chris Chokan
Coffee Break - Executor
Countdown to Disaster - Gary Ragland
DHW Lost Episodes Set
DHW MMC Anthology
DHW MMC 2013
DHW MMC 2014 Q1
DHW MMC 2014 Q2
DHW TC
Endlosung - Thomas Weiling
The Final Solution v3.0 - Tristan van Putten
Get Lost!! - ack
Green Arrow - Team Raycast
Hitler at the Ninth Gate - Gary Ragland
Ipank7000's Mapset #2
Leiche Soldat - Gary Ragland
Mac-Enstein Series - Andy Nonymous
Nocturnal: iLow 3D - IPank7000
NovoWolf - Thomas Weiling
Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy - Team Raycast
Operation: Serpent - Executor
Operating Wintersturm - WLHack
Quest for the General - Thomas Weiling
Return to Totenhaus Enhanced Edition - Executor
Revival of Memories - Brian Lowe
The Road to Neuschwanstein - Barry Christian
Schabbs 2000 - Gary Ragland
Sight - RonWolf
SOD Extreme II - Team Raycast
Sokobanned - RonWolf
Spear End of Destiny - AReyeP and MCS
Spear Resurrection - AReyeP and MCS
Spear Resurrection 2011 - AReyeP and MCS
SplitWolf - Team Raycast
Super Haven Mapset
Time to Kill - Thomas Weiling
Treasure Hunt - Serpens
Trench Warfare - The Josh
Trilogy: iLow 3D - IPank7000
Triumph of the Will - Andy Nonymous @ ponz
Wolf 3D Community Map Pack
W.O.L.F. - Thomas Weiling
Wolf Overdrive - Thomas Weiling
Victory of Faith - Thomas Weiling
WolfenDOOM - AReyeP
Wolfenstein Collection - MCS
Wolfenstein Missions - Executor
Wolfenstein Sextilogy 3 - Executor
10 New Ones - Thomas Weiling

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolf3D Vault Featured Mods
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wolf Skevos-Jones! Essential.

Totenkopf SDL
Project Eisenritter
Operation Heimzahlung
Coming of the Storm
Weapons of Vengeance (I know it was only a demo but its influence was massive)

His brother, Ian, also put out two mods based on the Batman comic which were so, so good. Really wish an SDL port was in the cards.

A recent one that slipped through the cracks due to its presence being mostly felt on the Haven forum: Shadow Genesis by the Mega Brothers.

Personally I have not played that much of Poet's mods, but their trickery, atmosphere and coding features are important and legendary. The Tower, Wolf-Extra, Wolf Hour etc. - absolute winners.

Alliance of Powers and Deadly Sleep: 2 collaborative projects that deserve mention. Also, the Golden Episodes by Ariel.

WLHack, the False Spear SDL. Operation: Letzterschutz by MajikMonkee. And probably a handful of other mods. Operation Panzerschiff by Ben Blaufarb... Another quite old mod, these days it probably wouldn't pass that much as the mapping is very much re-hashes of the old levels with some interesting twists and a different mix, but it deserves its place.

As do Operation Hidden Secret by Santeri Kiiski. Bunkersturm by Raphael is another fun shoot 'em up one.

Probably more to come.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:00 pm

"Orb Of Dilaaria" should be in the list, too. And my apologies if I've misspelled the name. Smile
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 164

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd include:

All WSJ mods
Batman vs. Bane + No Man's Land
Deadly Sleep
Desperate Measures
Klooni
Operation: Letzterschutz
Orb of Dilaaria
Operation: Eisenfaust Origins + Christmas Pack
Passage to Hollenteufel
Project Totengraeber
Spear of Destiny Reloaded

And remove the following because they are distinctly not near as good quality as most others IMO:

Armageddon
DHW TC
The Final Solution
Get Lost!!
Ipank's Mapset #2
Leiche Soldat
Nocturnal Ilow3D
Operation Wintersturm
TRTN
Super Haven Mapset
Triumph of the Will
WolfenDOOM
Wolfenstein Collection

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Project: Weltuntergang by Kuki comes to mind.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 pm

He asked for the mod to be withdrawn (which is a shame, yes).

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:17 pm

That is a shame indeed. Too bad!
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:03 am

Get Lost is definitely not the best choice to represent ack's mapping. Either Acktung set would be perfect, if not both. You should also consider the DHW SDL mapset, which was full six episodes of mapping goodness.

I definitely agree with MrWolfForever with including Totengraeber, or alternatively Conflict in the Fatherland because it has better maps. I definitely DISagree with excluding WolfenDOOM. It's a superb set!

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03 am

Quote:
Operation Wintersturm

Was great mod IMHO.

I liked Castle Hasselhoff too, was alot of fun.

No Soldat555 mods in this? He had many great mods/TCs IMHO. Not to list his mods is...a big miss.
Frayed, Insanitarium, Krucible and more...

Project X was great mod too.
Guns&Glory 0.5 too.
Unsung was interesting.
Operation Mutant:Strike
MedEvil
WSJ Batman mods.
Halls of Stonehange
Wolfenstein: Reloaded
Operation Todpfad
Escape from Castle Holle
Kloony
Lost World series
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 am

Nice thread idea. Two more relatively recent ones I enjoyed are ronwolf's The Lost Missions - Trilogy and SOD Extreme I.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 am

doomjedi wrote:
I liked Castle Hasselhoff too, was alot of fun.

Michael Collin in general made entertaining stuff which had great mapping and tasteful amounts of coding. Another one is Nazis with Attitude and The Nazi Party!

doomjedi wrote:
No Soldat555 mods in this? He had many great mods/TCs IMHO. Not to list his mods is...a big miss.

Agreed. Together with Kyo Kusanagi/Richter Belmont, though, the output is so massive that it's hard to narrow it down to just a few. Some Spear of Dreams mods were quite enjoyable too, especially the latter ones.

Ian Summerfield made a mod once called Schabbs, an Evil Lunatic which I remember fondly, don't know if it still holds up though. But he also made some interesting and ambitious graphic-based projects.

We also need some Bucksnort. I think Beyond Tobruk, Mutantstein III & IV end Evil in Iron deserves mention. Probably even a few more, even the collaborative set with Harry Mass Sr. (The Tribute) remains solid. Bobby and Lakota's sets, especially Reinstaad, IRONY and Confrontation still hold up quite well. Glad to see Revival of Memories listed. But regarding Brian, Wolfbel 2 & 3 have some great maps that have also been widely used in many mods around 2001-02.

For some reason Ryan de Haast also seems to slide between the cracks which I think is a pity. I remember Rising Evil being a good, long adventure in the best possible way, and it is obvious when you get to something like Double Trouble that there is a lot of effort behind it, with extensive coding and new sounds and graphics. An SDL port would be sweet!

Kristallnacht and Kehlsteinhaus I also enjoyed like crazy. But they do show their age. If anybody else knows of these, I'd love to hear their opinion.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:13 am

Thomas wrote:
Ian Summerfield made a mod once called Schabbs, an Evil Lunatic which I remember fondly, don't know if it still holds up though. But he also made some interesting and ambitious graphic-based projects.
That was probably one of my first projects where I showed some actual potential. But in all honesty, the maps are very low-quality compared to some of the others that have been referenced. Perhaps I should give reworking that one into something new a try. Still haven't modded Wolf in ages and that might be something I'd like to do once I've finished my current projects.

Also, not to toot my own horn, but Guns and Glory 0.5, even though I'll admit is insanely hard, still had a lot of work and dedication put into it. I'd consider it on the side of pure effort alone (seriously, I went back and hand-modified every single sprite and texture for that mod; pixel-by-pixel. Most mods just take a texture or sprite and use it as-is; I didn't do that with G&G 0.5).

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming. I am currently working on highlighting everything listed here so far.

Last edited by Barry on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Metalor wrote:
Also, not to toot my own horn, but Guns and Glory 0.5, even though I'll admit is insanely hard, still had a lot of work and dedication put into it. I'd consider it on the side of pure effort alone (seriously, I went back and hand-modified every single sprite and texture for that mod; pixel-by-pixel. Most mods just take a texture or sprite and use it as-is; I didn't do that with G&G 0.5).

^^It's a worthy addition.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Hmm... I don't know about "Elite mods". It seems a bit too exclusive if you know what I mean. If you dubbed it Personal picks, I could understand, but to assume that Elite choices accustoms all the users of the Wolf vault is wrong, in my opinion. The word Elite also seems a bit douchey these days. All in all, it would be sweet if e.g. a public vote Top 10 like we have on this forum was in order. Hopefully it will not be abused as much as the Top 10 on this forum became. But in the long run it's probably the truest, with the MCS/AReyeP mods topping the lists followed by Totengraeber, ack and Ariel etc... But times have changed. I think Team Raycast rules the roost now when it comes to producing deliberate high quality work with heavy coding and pushing the boundaries of what can be made possible with Wolf.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Thomas wrote:
Hmm... I don't know about "Elite mods". It seems a bit too exclusive if you know what I mean. If you dubbed it Personal picks, I could understand, but to assume that Elite choices accustoms all the users of the Wolf vault is wrong, in my opinion. The word Elite also seems a bit douchey these days. All in all, it would be sweet if e.g. a public vote Top 10 like we have on this forum was in order. Hopefully it will not be abused as much as the Top 10 on this forum became. But in the long run it's probably the truest, with the MCS/AReyeP mods topping the lists followed by Totengraeber, ack and Ariel etc... But times have changed. I think Team Raycast rules the roost now when it comes to producing deliberate high quality work with heavy coding and pushing the boundaries of what can be made possible with Wolf.

You make a good point here. I think I'll scrap that idea because it could cause some controversy and too much personal preferences come into play.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Eventually, probably yes. But it's your site. You should feel free to do what you want. I think, in general, the community agrees that certain mods are without a doubt in the Top 5 (MCS/AReyeP, Team Raycast, Totengraeber etc.) but after that it's pretty much hit and miss. I love Bucksnort, for example. A lot of the older gang surely did also. But more recent players and members of the forum have expressed their dissatisfaction with how the pace of the mapping folds out. Some people like Chokage, some don't... Some people like map sets, others think it's boring and unnecessary with all the coding lying around... It could get nasty at some point!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Barry wrote:
I think I'll scrap that idea because it could cause some controversy and too much personal preferences come into play.
Don't be afraid of controversy; embrace it! Making a mod or a website is not about pleasing the SJWs. But you do have a point about the personal preferences. Smile
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Thomas wrote:
Eventually, probably yes. But it's your site. You should feel free to do what you want. I think, in general, the community agrees that certain mods are without a doubt in the Top 5 (MCS/AReyeP, Team Raycast, Totengraeber etc.) but after that it's pretty much hit and miss. I love Bucksnort, for example. A lot of the older gang surely did also. But more recent players and members of the forum have expressed their dissatisfaction with how the pace of the mapping folds out. Some people like Chokage, some don't... Some people like map sets, others think it's boring and unnecessary with all the coding lying around... It could get nasty at some point!

I agree. You are right in that there are a handful that everyone would agree are the cream of the crop but beyond that it can get a little controversial. I am trying to be very liberal in my selection of "Featured Mods." for this reason.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:24 pm

What about Acord Games mods? They have a ton of them. Should anything be highlighted? In addition, what about Wolfenstein: Umbrella Beginnings? I never played it but I remember it being quite popular.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Another mod worth mentioning would be Guild of Darkness. Probably the weirdest mod that ever came out!
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Without going into featured mods I question, I think these should get a featured icon:

Golden Episodes
Map Making Mania Melee
Operation Mutant Strike 2/3/Unfinished Business (but not 1)
SDL4Hell

DieHard SS

Topics: 73
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm
   Subject: Acord Games or Wolfenstein Umbrella Beginnings

Barry wrote:
What about Acord Games mods? They have a ton of them. Should anything be highlighted? In addition, what about Wolfenstein: Umbrella Beginnings? I never played it but I remember it being quite popular.
Gary Acordís games have floor & ceiling textures that slow them down: http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=7741 Barry, Iíll have to talk to you later about uploading Gary Acordís games.

I havenít played Wolfenstein Umbrella Beginnings. Wolfenstein: Umbrella Beginnings has a Youtube video of Blazkowics putting on a German uniform from a coatrack, going into a different room, & the Germans donít fire on him until he fires.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:16 am

It's interesting question - are there objective criteria we could apply to Wolf3D mods to set their quality level...What do we expect from a good mod?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 am

My standards are mods that work correctly, deliver good gameplay, and have at least a decent presentation.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 am

Tricob wrote:
My standards are mods that work correctly, deliver good gameplay, and have at least a decent presentation.

I agree with this. Also, any mod that does one of the "deadly sins" of Wolf3D modding is immediately disqualified. I am thinking things like using creator maps, "borrowing" maps from other mods, using modified id Software maps, or maps with lots of bosses. I am sure there are also others to factor in.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 am

The Hotel Ramenstein Gold sets are very fun and strange. I also suggest The Untold Story.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 pm

gerolf wrote:
The Hotel Ramenstein Gold sets are very fun and strange.
I believe you mean "Romanstein", but yes - I enjoyed those, also. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 am

There are alot of good merits for me in a mod (including replay value and many other things), but if to set the most important ones:

For TC or advanced mod - "not lazy" feel - attention to detail "buys" me, art consistency, quality control, originality. When using classic resources - at least some touch to them, edit of even a few pixels, just to "mod" it and make your own.

For classic oldschool mods and mappacks - mapping originality, smart enemy placing, non linearity (replay adds value and tactics), lack of too long backtracking, pace - not too hard to find keys and doors so you have continious action.
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 37
norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 am
   Subject: Wolf3D Vault Featured Mods
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I agree with a lot of the above. Well summed up doomjedi.

But I myself don't mind spending some time figuring out where to go and how to access secret areas. I like traditional action adventure games and I like to put adventure game elements into my games.

Thanks to Thomas for suggesting my mods. Smile

Personally I will recommend Temporary Insanity as a featured mod. I have in fact lost my copy and would like to find it available again. Smile
In some of its levels it makes use of oddities in the engine.

I have never done that but some of my mods have a strong emphasis on puzzle solving (in addition to action), like The Tower and Wolf-Extra III and to a lesser extent Wolf Hour. While Wolf-Extra SV, Wolf-Extra II and Enemy Around the Corner have more straightforward action. It was my basic intent with these mods to make each level non-linear and with a lot of unpredictable instances to increase replay value. This can be achieved by giving the player several choices on what route to take, the possibility to get to places (to find a key for instance) from different angles, to be able to move around in a map, and give the enemies the chance to do the same. Achieving this the level can be played over and over again and the gameplay and action will develop entirely different and unpredictably each time. In addition one can apply the same floor code to different unrelated locked rooms so that alarmed enemies (or initially moving ones) can alarm more enemies who may come at the player quite unexpectedly at any moment and around any corner, but apply this carefully to avoid all enemies in the map coming at the player at the same time. Make the maps big as well and the player may spend half an hour or more finishing a level without a single dull moment. Smile
A youtube user called D1m3 Channel has uploaded a video demonstrating an auto map feature and using the first level of Wolf-Extra SV for the purpose (I didn't make the auto map). The video also shows many of the elements I have mentioned above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgU6LZSF-Ic
(The opening to this level is particularly hard and the video uses a lot of corner stabbing at the start, I myself used to run in and fire in every direction.) Smile

If you use the whole map for a level or make levels with regular shapes the player will be able to figure out where the secret areas are without having to try everywhere. This is essential if you want to put necessary things, like keys, behind secret doors.

I don't mind having more bosses in a level. That can add a lot of gameplay to a map if it is well designed for it. In a level in Wolf-Extra II you will get a chaingun early if you solve a puzzle. If you don't you have to confront a Grosse and an Ubermutant (in any order) with your machinegun only, and that's not an impossible task. Later you will get the chaingun anyway, and a rocket launcher, before confronting Barnacle Wilhelm.

Thanks for reading. Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: