DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

April Fool's - Ever fell for one & been let down badly?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 pm
   Subject: April Fool's - Ever fell for one & been let down badly?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

So it's April 1, and it's pretty inevitable we'll be seeing some April Fool's Jokes all over the web today, just like any other year. Many you'd never fall for. Others you'd be relieved when you find out they aren't true. But it's not always that way. Sometimes you may fall for one and end up in great disappointment. And I'm posting this thread because that is exactly what happened to me a year ago, and I want to know if you've had similar. It's a long post, but it takes some time to explain and tell the story in full.

So, going to my case, this was about DooM. There is a thread on Doomworld, the game's most prominent forum, in which a 'club' plays a different set of maps for the game each month and writes their thoughts on it. Normally, the club itself gets to vote what they will play over the next month, during the last week of the previous month. But on March 18, 2016, the leader of the club made this announcement, quoted word for word (quotes are in italics):

"Alright, since we’re onto a new page, I have something important to announce.

->There will be no voting this month<-

This may be a bummer to those of you pining for certain releases, but you’ll have to trust me on this. I got a very interesting message some time ago about this amazing new megawad that’s finished development, and I can’t reveal anything just yet, but you guys have to see this thing—I was blown away at the number of old authors I recognized. The project leader said it’d be cool if I suggested it for voting this month, but I feel the best way to honor him & the team was to dedicate April to an official playthrough of it. Basically, if you like 90s megawads, this thing is going to be a must-play for you. It’s also in a finished state too, so we won’t have to worry about any beta testing issues. Hopefully you guys won't mind the upheaval; I promise that this is the only time I'm making an authoritative decision for the club."

So, I like old-school. I like many wads from the 90s. I like seeing old authors make new maps. I was psyched beyond belief, just two short weeks to wait! So the night of March 31 came and I stayed up late in eager anticipation for the thread to be posted so I could get my hands on this amazing new release. And just before midnight, that post came - titled, 'The DWMegawad Club plays: Memento Mori 3'. And for those who don't know, Memento Mori 1/2 was perhaps THE classic wad series of the mid-90s. So that was a BIG name to see.

After my heart skipped a beat, I clicked on the thread as fast as I could. But, it wasn't really Memento Mori 3 at all. It was really Eternal DooM, a 1997 wad full of complex puzzles that the club leader wanted to play but it was almost certain no one would ever vote for it. As I read the top of the thread, here is what it said, again word for word:

"APRIL FOOLS’! WE’RE PLAYING TEAMTNT’S 1997 ETERNAL DOOM III THIS MONTH, SUCKERS! YOU CHUMPS TRUSTED ME AND I PLAYED YA'LL LIKE A FIDDLE! BOW BEFORE THE GLORY OF THE SWITCH HUNT! AH HA HA!"

And hidden under a spoiler:

"Sorry, there really is no Memento Mori 3—we are literally going to play all of Eternal Doom this month, no joke. I need everyone to suffer through this with me Razz "

And I was so disappointed there was nothing new here at all. Then I said to myself, wait, it actually IS April Fool's Day now. Maybe this in itself was just a one-day joke, and that awesome new wad was just 24 more hours away? But it was not to be. Sad As April 2 drew closer, and after much reaction, the club leader posted the following:

"A preface: about a few months after I started the DWMC, I had always planned to hoodwink you guys with Eternal Doom at some point, and figured that this April was a good time to do it. I've legitimately always wanted to try out Eternal Doom (since I'm drawn towards infamous pieces of media) but knew there was no chance in hell it would ever get picked. It's a bit rude but I figure a minor detour out of nearly ~50 Club threads is a harmless drop in the ocean."

Perhaps it's a drop in the ocean, perhaps it isn't. But I still think the club leader made a joke that was in bad taste - even more so when you consider it was started two weeks in advance and the club would be stuck with a wad they didn't vote for the entire month. That said, I don't participate in the club, so that alone didn't bother me. But I did feel horribly ripped off about what I find a particularly cruel joke, and while I'm over it long since, I certainly haven't forgotten about it for a minute.

My parents had predicted this would be an April Fool's Joke from the moment that post was made on March 18. To me, it came out of left field. Completely. Would you have thought it was a joke being set up so far in advance? What would your reaction to the reveal have been? And, as the very thread title itself implies, have you had your heart broken personally by an April Fool's Joke?

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:30 am
   Subject: Re: April Fool's - Ever fell for one & been let down bad
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MrWolfForever wrote:
My parents had predicted this would be an April Fool's Joke from the moment that post was made on March 18. To me, it came out of left field. Completely. Would you have thought it was a joke being set up so far in advance? What would your reaction to the reveal have been? And, as the very thread title itself implies, have you had your heart broken personally by an April Fool's Joke?

Yes. Forum-member "the_josh" once played an April Fool's Joke on me... it was so heartbreaking that I don't think I could bear to repeat it here... But after a while, he felt sorry for me, and sent me a copy of his WIP mod "Lair of the Mantis". For all those who have had their hearts broken by a cruel April Fool's Joke... This gift is for you.

Lair of the Mantis download

May it repair your broken hearts. Wink

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:18 am
   Subject: Re: April Fool's - Ever fell for one & been let down badly?

I find it hard to imagine a joke that was more disappointing than the one I suffered througb last year, but I'll trust you nonetheless, as I can't speak to individual emotions. And thanks for sharing the download. I don't think he ever actually released that mod officially?

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:53 am

My favorite little joke I played on someone ... it actually wasn't played on April Fool's Day. This happened some time during the Christmas holiday. I was in Cracker Barrel somewhere around noon on a Saturday. I was venturing through the toy aisle of the store, and I noticed a girl there ... say, maybe ten years old. I was thinking, "Hm, I'm sure she doesn't know he's been dead for years. Let's see - there's won't be any emotional or psychological damage. Yeah, this is safe territory. Let's do this!" And so I did dead-perfect impersonation of Thurl Ravenscroft as I sang the first verse of "You're A Mean One, Mister Grinch". Let me tell you, the expression on her face was just priceless. Smile
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:37 pm

lol @ MrWolfForever
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:37 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

lol, Why? I don't get it.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: