DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

SNES Extraction Script
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 am
   Subject: SNES Extraction Script
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've been playing around with the SNES ROM of Wolfenstein and managed to extract some of the data: game palette, walls, and sprites (except the weapon overlays).

https://github.com/adambiser/snes-wolf3d-extractor
Written in Python 2.7 and you'll need png.py from PyPNG. It has only been tested on one ROM and may not work on all versions.

It's interesting that the game uses 32x32 walls and 64x64 sprites.

Notes:
  • I think the weapon overlays only use colors F0 to FF in the palette, but I haven't found them.
  • Pictures like the status bar, etc, are compressed somehow. If they are huffman compressed, I've not yet found a dictionary for it.
  • Maps are stored differently as well.

This post is not advocating piracy or suggesting that anyone should pirate the ROM.

(Walls are in column major order)
Haven't made a sprite sheet yet.

Last edited by Adam Biser on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 152

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 pm
   Subject: Re: SNES Extraction Script
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

How do you run this exactly? I have the two python scripts on my C drive and have python installed. What do I do next? I have the SNES file.
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm

I used IDLE (Python's GUI shell) to write and debug it. You should be able to open the extraction script in IDLE (File->Open).
You'll probably have to change the ROM_FILE_NAME variable to point to you ROM file. ROM_FILE_NAME can be an absolute or relative path.

Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:01 am

I would think the 32x32 walls would be to speed up the rendering process due to the SNES's limited power (no accelerator chip for wolf3d)
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:34 am

That was my assumption as well.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 pm

It takes 1/4 of the memory to store a 32x32 image as it does a 64x64 image. Remember, you had to cram everything into that one RAM cart, and memory was expensive. Smile
RaVeN72
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Tricob wrote:
It takes 1/4 of the memory to store a 32x32 image as it does a 64x64 image. Remember, you had to cram everything into that one RAM cart, and memory was expensive. Smile

Also true....the SNES ROM is smaller than shareware version of wolf3d, let alone the full version

For what it is worth, I quite like the SNES version...the maps on average are better than the 6 episode DOS version
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:50 am

I guess they are if you like more action and less complexity.

I've been wondering what motivated all those different map design changes. There was definitely the lower enemy limit, and I'm guessing some kind of room size limit too, and that's why there's so many doors everywhere. Some other changes seem to be there just to keep the player from getting lost, like the extremely linear prison start in E1L1. But the levels also seem to have less tight spaces and just less corners in general, and I'm not sure what was the reason for that.
RaVeN72
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:10 am

Military wrote:
I guess they are if you like more action and less complexity.

I've been wondering what motivated all those different map design changes. There was definitely the lower enemy limit, and I'm guessing some kind of room size limit too, and that's why there's so many doors everywhere. Some other changes seem to be there just to keep the player from getting lost, like the extremely linear prison start in E1L1. But the levels also seem to have less tight spaces and just less corners in general, and I'm not sure what was the reason for that.

I get the feeling (reading about carmack's work on the engine) that rendering super large rooms would have slowed the gameplay too much....might also be why long coridoors have 's bends' in them....
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:56 pm

My guess about all the doors is also RaVeN72's. Don't have to render as much if the rooms are smaller.

I'm currently trying to figure out the map format, though I won't be able to continue work on it until I return in a few weeks. It's a very different format entirely and appears to be byte-based rather than word-based.

To do so, I reconstructed the SNES version of E1M9 since it's a pretty simple level. I have found the objects, but not how the walls are stored. Instead of an object plane, objects are stored in a list with generally 3 bytes: x, y, object-code. When the object is a pushwall, there's a fourth byte for the wall tile code it covers. I'm assuming this means that the wall plane (if indeed it is a plane) has a floor code instead of a wall. Object codes are also a bit different from DOS. I'm assuming this is due to the maps now being byte-based and also no longer needing codes for each guard direction.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 pm

RaVeN72 wrote:
For what it is worth, I quite like the SNES version...the maps on average are better than the 6 episode DOS version
You need to play Mac-enstein Second Encounter. That'll give you the best of both worlds. Smile

On a different note, the smaller rooms seem to be purely for performance issues; the smaller the total number of floorcodes there are for the room you're in, the better the framerate will be.
RaVeN72
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Tricob wrote:
RaVeN72 wrote:
You need to play Mac-enstein Second Encounter. That'll give you the best of both worlds. Smile

On a different note, the smaller rooms seem to be purely for performance issues; the smaller the total number of floorcodes there are for the room you're in, the better the framerate will be.

I have played Mac 2nd - It's fantastic and highly recommended
Blzut3
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 pm

An important thing to remember about the SNES version (and all the versions that derive from it) is that it uses a BSP tree for rendering like Doom. As a result of this drawing large stretches of the same texture is going to be much faster than the ray casting renderer used in the PC version. (This is why I don't really believe that room size was a problem since theoretically the new renderer should favor large rooms provided texture changes are sparse.) One thing I kind of noticed about the level design is that it favors more square/rectangle rooms and hallways which combined with less texture choice should reduce the number of projections that the rendering engine needed to do.

Additionally the downside of using a BSP tree for rendering is the classic space-time trade off. While it's much faster, the BSP tree takes a lot of space. Each wall segment would increase the size of the tree so reducing geometric complexity reduces the amount of cart space required for the level. As a side note this is a good part of the reason why when you see "Doom" on a very low power devices (such as TI calculators) it's usually a Wolf3D style ray caster. Just not enough space for the BSP.

@Adam Biser, I assume you're referencing the Mac Wolf3D source code in your research? The map format sounds familiar to me. I do recall helping someone else poke at the SNES rom for the maps after I started loading Mac Wolf in ECWolf although I don't recall if we found the data or not. That said it should be a 64x64 byte plane, a 64 byte area array, the thing list as you describe, and finally the BSP tree.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:30 am

The maps in the SNES version are the same as the MAC version, and were done first. The main difference is that the floor and ceiling colors are different.

I have the sound files to the SNES version somewhere, and also, the beta has an additional guard sound.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Unless you're aiming for higher-quality extractions, just go here -

::: CODE :::
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Wolfenstein_3D_(SNES)
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:16 am

Blzut3 wrote:
@Adam Biser, I assume you're referencing the Mac Wolf3D source code in your research? The map format sounds familiar to me. I do recall helping someone else poke at the SNES rom for the maps after I started loading Mac Wolf in ECWolf although I don't recall if we found the data or not. That said it should be a 64x64 byte plane, a 64 byte area array, the thing list as you describe, and finally the BSP tree.

No, I've only been using what I see happening in the data. I know where the maps are located in the ROM now. I can "see" them but I don't know how to look at them yet.

The wall data definitely doesn't look like a simple a 64x64 byte plane. I saw partial rows of wall codes (which are also different from the original codes, 0x81 is wall 1, etc, floor codes start at 0 I think), but that's about it so far. I won't be able to look further into this for another couple of weeks.

For anyone interested, the last object in map 1-3 (the Hans level) can be found by looking for 22 33 13 with a hex editor. Somewhere around 0xc0000 I think. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. I am under the assumption that the data to construct the wall plane is located before the thing list.

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm

The object list and the data following Hans (the BSP nodes) are almost byte for byte the same as the Mac version. I can tell you that the map data starts with 25 04 8B 8B 8B 8B at 0xC28F0. The map is compressed with some format that was stripped by the time the Mac version rolled around. What I can tell is that the first byte is a tag byte (changed between maps) since you'll notice it recur at a regular fairly predictable rate. Appears to be some kind of LZSS compression but I don't think it's the same used in the Jaguar version or the Mac version.

The start of the map is 416 repeats of 8B, followed by 81 81 82 81 81, followed by 59 more 0x8B, followed by 81 00 00 00 81.

BSP nodes for the map ends with 3E 40 08 01 at 0xC3240. Next map starts two bytes after that (presumably those two bytes is some meta data for one of the two maps).

Once you extract it you should have something that looks virtually identical to the Mac map format.
Blzut3
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Reverse engineered the compression utility I got from Wisdom Tree which was trivial since it has debug symbols. The first two byte of the map (two before the bytes I gave you in the last post) is supposed to be the uncompressed size. The first two bytes in my last post are the tag byte and the match bits (4 is the default). The window size will be 16-matchbits.

When reading the data if the byte is not the tag byte then output as is. If it is the tag byte then it is either followed by a zero byte, or it's followed by a 16-bit value with the low bits being the match length minus 3 and the upper bits being the window offset. So 25 41 00 means copy (0x1+3) bytes from 0x4 back. 25 2F 01 means copy (0xF+3) bytes from 0x12 back.

This is basically the same as the LZSS implementation used later except that it uses a constant tag byte instead of a flag byte.
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 am

Thanks Blzut3, I'll check into this when I'm back. I was heading that direction, but didn't get to finish things because I ran out of time before our trip which cuts off my access to this stuff.

Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:07 am

OK, status report for anyone interested.

I haven't updated the code yet, but here's what I've figured out:
- map extraction (thanks to the information from Blzut3) and conversion into DOS map format.
- extraction of status bar
- extraction of font, status bar faces, weapon graphics, overhead map tiles.
- intermission screen graphics + palette
- title screen + palette (light and dark)
- briefing screen + palette

What remains to be found and/or extracted:
- sounds
- music

Have to finalize and clean up the code.

Utility Developer
Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm

The project has been moved and updated quite a bit.
https://github.com/adambiser/snes-wolf3d-extractor

Now features an UI that will hopefully make it easier to use. Everything but text is exported and that's just because I forgot to add it.
Music export is not exactly like the SNES sounded, but it's fairly close.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:39 am

Excellent extractor! Finally, the world can know the glory of the mutant rat!

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 am

Laughing

Code has been updated. I figured out the Floor codes. They are the extra 64 bytes after the wall data. The game apparently uses sectors (max limit of 64) and each sector is assigned a floor code / sound zone.
Text extraction was also finished some time ago.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am

Cool! Now the SNES TC can be realised! Smile

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 am

I thought it might be interesting to see the differences a little more closely.

Who knows? Maybe someone will make a DOS version of the SNES stuff...

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 am

I'll probably make an ECWolf TC for this. I may make a DOS version.

Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 12

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Slightly OT but still relevant I guess, but has anyone made a TC with the Jaguar graphics, sounds, and music? I know it has the same maps as the MAC one, but it would still be cool.
Sigma64
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 am

I have the jaguar sprites, I could share them.
On the other hand, the Jaguar sounds are terrible, in that they're really american, and they aren't even all in German.

Guards:
Achtung!
Halte!
What the hell? (Yes, really.)

SS:
SS! (With american pronunciation!)
Schutzstafell! (At about half the DOS speed!)

Most bosses:
COMIN' FOR YA! (Carry-over from SNES)
Hans:
GUTENTAG (Half the DOS speed.)

Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:33 pm

The Jaguar version is one that I've never looked into much. Nice that someone else has.

Unrelated:
The bosses saying "comin' for ya" is hilarious. Laughing

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The Jaguar version is somewhat hillarious, yet sad that it's a final product. I mean, really! Look at the pixellation on Hans' chainguns, or the mutants' gunflashes! What are these people doing?

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: