DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

MMC 2017 released!
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Select your favourite submissions of this round (you can choose a maximum of 3)
1 - Last Ride (by HellRaiser & StormBringer)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
2 - Nazis' Song (by Officer-Michael John)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
3 - Flavorless (by serpens)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
4 - Blah (by Tricob)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
5 - Movement (by ronwolf1705)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
6 - Prove Your Worth (by ack)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
7 - Gates (by Tricob)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
8 - Wash Your Hands (by Military)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
9 - Planetside (by AlumiuN)
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
10 - Before The Dawn (by Arielus)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
11 - Classic Approach (by ack)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
12 - Hide N' Sneak (by ronwolf1705)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 13
Total Votes : 38

Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 37
norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:57 pm
   Subject: MMC 2017 released!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just cast my votes.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:23 am
   Subject: Re: MMC 2017 released!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wow, I just came into this thread 20 minutes before the poll's over! How exciting...
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 am

I voted for 7, 8 and 12. Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am

Didn't vote, but congrats to the winners! What I played of the set was great! Smile
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am

3, 8, and 10 were mine. 1 is virtually tied with those for me, but I could only pick three.

So let's reveral, who made each map?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:31 am

Welp, a three-way draw is not what I was expecting. Very Happy

The makers of each map are:

Last Ride - HellRaiser & StormBringer
Nazis' Song - Officer Michael-John
Flavorless - serpens
Blah - Tricob
Movement - ronwolf1705
Prove Your Worth - ack
Gates - Tricob
Wash Your Hands - Military
Planetside - AlumiuN
Before The Dawn - Arielus
Classic Approach - ack
Hide N' Sneak - ronwolf1705

So congratulations to HellRaiser & StormBringer, serpens, and myself (as weird as it feels to congratulate myself Razz)!

I haven't created a new kit for another MMC yet, but hopefully I can get something sorted shortly Smile
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:43 am

I was almost sure 8 and 9 were the other way around.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:06 am

Congratulations on the winners! Smile Level 9 was my #1 pick, and #3 got my second vote. Level 8 and 12 were tied for third place, but I couldn't vote for more than three maps ... so those two had to get the boot from my votes. Sad

I have to admit, AlumiuN wasn't exaggerating when he said his maps didn't have a definite style. I voted for the map thinking that RonWolf1705 was the one who did it. Smile

Blah was sort of an homage to AReyeP, and while I can't come close to replicating his style, some definite inspiration from him is still there. There is a higher frustration factor than the Gates entry, but it is easier to navigate through.

Gates focused more on gameplay and replay value (which AlumiuN and RonWolf seem to specialize in with their maps), but the one time I placed design over gameplay, it backfired terribly. Yeah, the forest area in this map isn't all that great when I look at it now. It's easy to keep missing the way back to the original entrance, it's too easy to miss new areas that are revealed ... Simply put, the navigation is just terrible, and I somehow missed that in the design process. I apologize to those of you who were frustrated by the layout.

The problems with my two maps are addressed in my upcoming MMC entry. But I'm sure my maps have other problems I haven't noticed just yet. I encourage other people to post their feedback on the maps in this collection. I plan to post my own feedback on them later today (assuming weather permits).
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:32 am

Nice, each of my votes was a winner! Laughing But a great effort from everybody!

DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 am

Seven maps either winning or coming one vote within victory? Easily the closest MMC race we've ever had. Good job everyone involved. It's also nice to finally get a winning place in one of these contests. Only took ten years!

I'll come up with some more detailed grumbling and whining thoughts and observations later on; now I'll just say I wasn't able to guess most of the map authors. Tricob's maps and Ariel's solo submission were easiest to recognize, but all others misled me one way or another. Notably, Military's entry was my first encounter with his mapping style and it's an excellent first impression, chock full of fun and a bit retro in certain aspects of design -- which is a good thing. And I'm probably not the only one thinking that AlumiuN's flexibility in map design is amazing.

With such a diversity of styles, aesthetics and gameplay paradigms offered by this set, it's surprising that my largely vanilla creation managed to do so well. I'll take that as a good sign.

Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:46 am

This was a very good set and like I said before it was a bit hard to decide which levels to vote for. I had left saved games at the beginning of several of them and replayed those I considered voting for.
And after that I must say I was no longer in doubt. My votes went to 7, 8 and 12.

9 and 10 came very close, as did 5. I really liked the very sudden and dramtic ending to level 5 after the more quiet build-up, but I ended up voting for level 12 instead.
Level 3 and 11 were what I will call good 'old-style' Wolf at its very best. The others had something to recommend them as well.

Now to those levels I voted for:

Level 7: This was a very involving level as well as being quite atmospheric. I like a level to be intriguing and this really made me want to figure it out. And it had a lot of nice changes of scenes and unexpected and challenging situations. In the end it was very nice to have figured it all out and know your way around in it. It had one or two secret areas that seemed a bit random but that's of no importance, and otherwise it was as flawless as Wolf levels go in addition to being quite unique.

Level 8: This level too was very involving and a level you really wanted to explore and figure out. And it felt huge, for a level like this that's definitely a good thing, it felt like a complete game in itself. It sure had me puzzled on more than one occasion and had lots of nice changes, unexpected turns and lots of varied and challenging gameplay. Again a level that it was very nice to have figured out in the end. A couple of random secrets here too, again of no importance. The very ending was desperat, I must admit I only very narrowly survived it.

Level 12: It had that unreal aspect about it that I really like to see in Wolf, especially when it's as well done as here. A seemingly impossible opening, then a very nice blend of puzzles and action. The desperate Ubermutant battle and the mutant infested area that followed added a lot to it. A very atmospheric level and great ending to a great set.

An additional note that may be looked into. There was a level 13 consisting of a short corridor with an end game trigger. This did not seem to work properly. The game froze insted of taking you to the high score screen. I had to press escape and then choose the 'end game' option to get to see my score and add my name to the high score list.

Last edited by Poet on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Didn't vote, but congrats to the winners! What I played of the set was great! Smile

I didn't vote either. When warping through the levels, yours (Hide N' Sneak) was the only one I found interesting enough to play all the way through though (maybe I'm just weird Laughing ).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

Okay, let's hope there's not a "character limit" that hacks off part of this post. Geek

Level 1 - This was a good way to open the MMC set. The level is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. The challenge factor is there without a high frustration factor. I don't really have anything to complain about here, but this map just didn't leave as lasting an impression here as the top pick did.
Level 2 - Here's a level that's solid and deliciously unpredictable. It's nowhere near as big as the other competing maps, but it manages to do an awful lot in a small amount of space. A good effort on the mapper's part.
Level 3 - I had a lot of fun with this one. The only flaw it has is that it's too easy to kill everyone in this map by accident. A few guards hidden behind a Pushwall can easily fix this problem.
Level 4 - As I said, I pretty much had AReyeP in mind when making this one, although I didn't realize it at the time. I'm not all *that* fond of the track it uses, but it worked so well in this level, I thought it was a good choice. That being said, there's at least two points in this map that were probably too frustrating for fellow Wolfers - the teleport-to-the-outdoors sequence ... and the moving-walls sequences. This is one of those things where you really don't know if it's a good idea to put this in a map until after you've tried it. I think that's what happened with me here.
Level 5 - This level was a blast, but *then* I got to the boss sequence, and I got extremely frustrated. There just isn't any place to properly take cover, so you're pretty much forced to play things the mapper's way rather than your own. And whenever the player falters on that, he dies. Forcing the player to do throughly things the mapper's way isn't - IHMO - a good way to do a map. But I'm glad this mapping decision was made, because it helped me realize that I made that same mistake myself with "Blah".
Level 6 - I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy this one at all. Yes, it was intense, but at the same time, I was also extremely frustrated all the way. Whenever I design a challenging sequence, I try to add some tactful strategy and map design to keep the player's interest. But here, I'm not getting either. Instead, I just see lumps of objects, and it's all placed in a map that I found confusing to navigate through. Too many of the areas looked the same to me, and it was just too easy for me to get lost.
Level 7 - This was a "concept level" I wanted to do for a long time. But I guess I got *too* excited about doing it. Some of the layout is just awful to try and navigate through - the forest area, the large area with the one "pushable" barrel ... the list goes on. Even the "shortcuts" didn't work too well, as you could only use them effectively if you figured it out through trial and error. I need to focus less on how a map looks when it's played ... and focus more on how it's played out as a whole.
Level 8 - This level open up *beautifully*, takes its time drawing the player in, and it was refreshing to have the health items and such give you different amounts than the original Wolf3D game. This map has a lot of standout sequences for me. So, why did it not take the top spot for me? Well, the main reason is because of the sequences where "moving walls" and enemies must be fought in the same area. There were many, many times where the shots you fired visibly made contact with the bosses, but because of the way the "moving walls" code works, the shots didn't register as hits in the code. You'd waste over half your ammo on shots that looked like legitimate hits, and it happened quite often. There's a right way and a wrong way to map things so this doesn't happen. But it wasn't mapped out that way here.
Level 9 - If I could only replay one single map in the entire set, this one would have to be it. This level ... This level! It starts off playing out one theme ... one tone to the whole thing, and then it works its way up to something stronger ... something more intense. It sends you through a terrifying forest of darkness where you don't know what'll pop up next, and the intensity increases as you move through one sequence of moving walls to the next. Yes, the frustration factor is still there, but it's never overwhelming you. I'm just going to stop commenting on the map here, because I could just go on about it forever. I'm trying to give every map a reasonable amount of attention. Smile
Level 10 - This was a genuinely entertaining level as a whole. The only thing I can really hold against this map is that the ammo is too scarce in the boss sequences. Three times in a row, I was facing a Fake Hitler with absolutely no ammo left to fight him with.
Level 11 - To the mapper's credit, the throwback to Wolf3D's "feel" works well as far as its appearance is concerned. No object seems out-of-place, every wall decoration appears in places where it makes sense ... These parts are done flawlessly. However, there were far too many places for me where I had to leave enemies unkilled just because there wasn't any ammo to kill them with. Yes, it made the closing sequence more intense, and I do give the mapper credit for replicating all of that intensity to a map. But the lack of ammo really overstayed its welcome for me, and the slow shooting of the pistol and machine gun ... it made this map drag on for me rather than keep things going at a brisk pace.
Level 12 - This is another level I'd probably go back and play again some time. Sadly, the map seems a little small overall, and it relies *too* much on using the moving walls to kill the enemies. A fun little romp, whatever the case.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 am

Many congrats to the victors! I truly had a strong feeling that there might be one or more ties this time around, but definitely not like this (especially seeing that a total of 13 people voted). Without a doubt, this has been the tightest competition we've had so far... and by far. Now we are in a bit of a pickle having to decide who gets to coordinate next, it seems! Mr Green

I will come back to post my comments on the levels. In the meantime, here's something I thought I'd try in case anyone doesn't have anything remotely better to do. Hopefully you will forgive the funny accent and various mispronounced words here and there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMcC8EJLsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qinlpo7njCU

Once again, the usual thanks go out to BrotherTank for coming up with -and materializing- this idea back in 2007, to AlumiuN for reviving it in SDL format (and for putting up with all of our constant requests for additions, enhancements and whatnot), to everyone that took up of their free time to make maps for this, and to everyone that also took up of their free time to play the maps, vote, and post feedback. Truly appreciated.

Best,

Ariel

Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:45 pm

One thing that made it difficult to rank the levels was that they were so very different from each other. Take levels 3 and 6 for instance they are actually impossible to compare.
But that is what makes this type of level sets so interesting.

I had absolutely no idea who made what levels. It's too long ago that I played a mod to have an inkling about that.
A pity in a way not playing more mods, but on the other hand not being particularly cognizant of other modders style can be an advantage when voting in a case like this.

I did suspect though that level 1 and 10 were by the same designer, which it turned out to be in part at least, and also that levels 5 and 12 were by the same designer.

Levels 9 and 10, with level 5 which I have already commented on, tied for 4th. place in my book. Which means they were very close to tie with my three favorites for 1st. place.

Level 9 was very atmospheric with many fine details and it had an awsome ending, the section with the moving blocks and mutants was one of the high points in the entire set.
I did think though that the middle sections of the level were just a little bit too straighforward and quickly done with. But that is really a very minor issue.

Level 10 was huge and complex, offered a lot of varied action and interesting turns and made the player really wanting to figure out how to get to all areas.
And it was a great moment every time you reached a new stage in the level.
The boss room with Hitler and the four SS in the corners was a high point of the level, as it was of the whole game.

I did feel though that there was a slight shortage of ammo.
The first time I ran out of ammo fighting the Death Knight and had to start all over, feeling I had to be a bit too careful about not wasting ammo.

But that is probably just me having had too little practice playing mods recently. Smile

The second time I still ran out of ammo when fighting the Fake Hitler (after having defeated the Death Knight), but in the end I managed to bring him down with my knife, something that was really nice in itself.

Like I said before, all levels really had something to recommend them, and it was overall a very close race.
But this will have to do from me for the time being. Smile
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:59 pm

Like I usually say it is always so nice to see Poet posting around here... Smile

I still have to post my comments on the levels (currently adding some post-poll bits here and there before I share them), but in case anyone's interested, here's a little something I thought I'd try before playing any of the levels. Basically, I thought I'd try and see if only based on the level names I could somehow guessed who had made which level. Following you can see my thoughts; be warned: some of them will most likely sound really far-fetched (especially if you have already played the levels) so spare yourselves the time if you have anything remotely better to do Smile

I will spoil alert things so that you can choose exactly what to read and what not to read.

Here:

2 - Nazis' Song
Who I believe did the level: ronwolf1705
Why: No clue really. The only thing that makes me think it may have been ronwolf1705 is he comes across as quite the music enthusiast given his posts in the "What are you listening to?" thread and his interchanges with Thomas regarding Zappa, Bowie, The Stooges and other bands and solo artists.

3 - Flavorless
Who I believe did the level: Tricob
Why: Based on the spelling this may have come from someone who learned to spell not in the British way, so in principle I would discard AlumiuN (mind you, this may be a (bit of a) far-fetched assumption but oh well...). The name makes me think of a sort of assessment from the author on the level's quality or characteristcs (much like I did with "Pas Fantastique" in August 2007). Tricob had a level called "Too Much Grey" not long ago and as such I would daresay this is his.

4 - Blah
Who I believe did the level: ack
Why: "Blah" is a name that, for some reason, I picture ack using. Much like his "BwaHaHaHa" from August 2007. No other reason than that, really.

5 - Movement
Why: I've seen him use one-word titles before like "Dogs", "Antartica" and "Telekinesis". "Movement", besides being one-word, makes me think of a level in which he may have used lots of pushwalls that are constantly on the move (much like "Telekinesis"). For some time I have associated his levels with innovative approaches (or "concept" maps), so a level with constantly-moving pushwalls and how to work your way around them would, in principle, sound like something coming from him - as "Telekinesis" did.

6 - Prove Your Worth
Who I know did the level: ack
Why: I was allowed to play an early (or unreleased) version of it before the package came out on 1 June.

7 - Gates
Why: Pretty much the same explanation given for "Movement", though I am in doubt given the proximity on the maplist between the two maps. I would have probably not placed two maps by the same author so close to each other on the list, but to each their own and maybe they're not even by the same author at all. Maybe neither is from ronwolf1705 to even begin with!

8 - Wash Your Hands
Why: No idea really, other than I know Tricob submitted two maps (as he himself said a few times) and for the other maps down the list I have already chosen other names.

9 - Planetside
Who I believe did the level: AlumiuN
Why: The word "Planetside" sounds like something I would picture him using. Much like other words/phrases I had to go look up such as "The Luminary", "Interloper" and "Ash Wednesday". Cool level name, by the way. Probably my favourite level name of the bunch. Makes me think of a map where you can see one face of a planet from a space station or something. We'll see what the map actually looks and plays like.

11 - Classic Approach
Who I believe did the level: Barry
Why: I believe Barry may have taken part in this round, and if he did then this will have been his first time on the list of all-time contributors. If so, then I daresay his first map may have leaned a bit towards a classic, vanilla-like approach, hence the title.

12 - Hide N' Sneak
Who I believe did the level: Military
Why: No clue here either. I know he submitted an entry (as he said it in the "Map of the Month Q4 (and beyond?)" thread) so I had to include him somewhere. I honestly had no idea where to place him other than here (where I can't think of a reason for placing other contributors).

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Your theory of the "Blah" name is an interesting one. I wanted to use a name that didn't give too much away, but at the same time, I didn't want to set people's expectations too high. By using a name like "Blah", any part of the level that wasn't dull and/or blatant was more likely to stand out. Obviously, it didn't give me many more votes than it would have otherwise, but now I know. Smile
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 am

Ha! I correctly guessed that Blah and Gates were made by Tricob! Though I considered Before The Dawn to possibly be a Tricob map too. I dunno, I'm not familiar with many mapping styles.

My favorites (aside from my own map :p) were Planetside, Last Ride and Prove Your Worth.

Planetside simply had an awesome theme, no doubt about it. So climatic, I was hooked in right away. I just think that maybe the outside area could've been made look more like another planet? Like instead of in a forest, the futuristic spaceship thing could've landed in a rocky lunar ravine (with gray ground and one of the Spear's concrete textures) or even on Mars - there's a texture for that too! The forest section still felt really cool, but there was more potential there. So, the most fun sections were the indoor ones of course. I liked how the teleporter was uncovered in the middle, and that section with a safe room with enemies being circled by metal blocks, and you could get between those blocks and move along them to get treasure. And the mutant area was climatic alright, but it was also the most annoying part, no doubt. There was that thing with bullets hitting moving walls too much... which is also a notorious issue on my map, but at least my map didn't have that together with mutants hiding in the darkness!

Last Ride was really well-rounded. Nice theme, a number of clever challenges and... just a lot of everything, really. It would have been my definite number 1 favorite but the other two spoke to me more theme-wise, and that was the most enjoyable aspect. And apparently, the "end the level by reaching the same jeep you arrived with after the last teleporter takes you to a place that looks like the starting area but isn't" idea was not nearly as unique as I expected when implementing it? Wash Your Hands, Before The Dawn, and this map. Great minds think alike, I guess?

Prove Your Worth was short, for one thing. But it had a very nice consistent theme. I really like how the last part required the player to use 1ups as the primary ammo supply - very unique, that's for sure! I really liked the secret area too!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 am

Military wrote:
Prove Your Worth was short, for one thing. But it had a very nice consistent theme. I really like how the last part required the player to use 1ups as the primary ammo supply - very unique, that's for sure! I really liked the secret area too!
I actually tried this ammo-related approach with a much older map of mine. This was years before MMC came into existence, and even before I became a DHWs member. I wasn't too happy with the map at all, so I chucked it. No loss, as whenever I make a "bad" map, I just salvage the interesting parts and put them all in a better map. Smile
Poet
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:11 am

I never would have thought that level 6 and level 11 were by the same designer.

It just proves again that ack is a very versatile map designer. Both were brilliant but they had one thing in common though.

They were the only levels where I did not get the 100% kill bonus. Smile

Having no ammo left I had to rush passed the two last devils (level 6) and several guards and SS shooting at me (level 11) to reach the exit. Smile
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:30 am

OK, here's a "few" words from me... First of all however, a general statement. I'm probably going to get some flack for complaining about the most prevalent feature of this contest, but my feelings about moving walls are highly mixed. They look impressive, they can be an effective addition, but I also believe that multiple rapidly moving instadeath traps are not the best choice for already very difficult levels, in a game with wonky collision detection. Wolfenstein is not a platformer. Thus be warned that my opinion on this aspect of gameplay has influenced my experience rather significantly.

Map 1 - Last Ride - really strong opening to the set, an expertly designed map, impressive entrance and excellent centerpiece area that you keep teleporting back into, facing a different combat situation every time. However, another area central to the layout - the one where you find yourself surrounded by SS, and later by moving walls and Officers - is extremely deadly and can be a source of frustration if playing without saves. But it's perfectly doable.

Map 2 - Nazis' Song - nothing wrong with it, but too short and simple to make a real impact. OMJ needs more mapping practice and bolder design decisions.

Map 3 - Flavorless - 0/10 terrible who submitted this

Map 4 - Blah - I don't know, isn't this one too short as well? What we get to play is of quite high quality, especially the intense mutant fights in well planned arenas and the Officer-surrounded passage reminiscent of E5M2, but upon finishing the level I had the distinct feeling that there simply wasn't enough meat. That's potentially problematic in such a complex mapset. Good, clean fun, but not enough!

Map 5 - Movement AND Map 12 - Hide N' Sneak - I am putting these two maps together because they're not dissimilar. Both have the same author (duh), the best use of moving pushwalls in the entire set, highly creative and memorable boss encounters (Schabbs in Map 5? pure brilliance in every respect), and one open area that welds the whole thing together. Very nice. Yet I voted for neither, because again, both ended quickly and abruptly and left me unsatiated. Great ideas that progressed far beyond the proof of concept phase, but still ended up a tad underdeveloped. Am I complaining too much? Probably, but this contest did set the bar extremely high.

Map 6 - Prove Your Worth - my first vote and my personal favourite of the entire "Dirty Dozen". It reminds me of the other timeless id Software classic, managing to combine Doom-like arenas and hellish overtones with Wolfenstein's intense cover based combat. Superb, fast paced adrenaline rush without worrying about resources... in the first part at least. The second section is different, multiple Angels function very much like deadly turrets while Adolf's pacing around trying to wing you from behind your meager cover. It's a direction that deserves to be explored more often in Wolfenstein mapping.

Map 7 - Gates - I believe Tricob is judging his creation too harshly in his earlier post, as Gates is an extremely solid, robust level. It offers that unique atmosphere that often seems to accompany his maps, plenty of smooth gameplay in a number of diverse environments, all connected together in a nicely thought out layout. I never had any real trouble navigating the area. Moving walls are very well employed, threatening but not frustrating. It would have been my fifth or fourth choice, were we allowed to cast that many votes. Alas, we weren't, but Gates is still an enjoyable effort.

Map 8 - Wash Your Hands - oh my, a true gem right here and my second vote. I will say this level has a slightly retro feeling for me, reminiscent of times when mods and mapping were still a bit rough around the edges, yet filled to the brim with distilled fun. Massive amounts of diverse content, some bold asymmetry and interesting design decisions, well implemented abstract atmosphere of a haunted place from the Netherworld. I didn't even mind all the moving walls; they did get in the way eventually, but the level just kept on giving and my fun wasn't spoiled. I do have one problem though: Trans Grosse bugged out in my winning playthrough, no longer able to hurt the player or emit any sounds. This is normally caused by floorcode mistakes, but the room seems OK in the editor. Odd.

(for something completely different, notice how this map, just like level 6, features a stationary instance of Angel of Death at the end? I guess the tub of devil lard is getting too old and fat to move around without losing his breath... His stamina was already abysmal back in the Spear days. Get back in shape, Satan!)

Map 9 - Planetside - so here's one mystery solved: the Nazis are hiding on the Moon, bunkered up together with their lunar alien friends, the Mutants. Not-so-little green men. The moonbase is gloomy and eerie, the background music track - striking and dramatic, gameplay - competent, smooth and steadily building up. Then you reach the area full of Mutants and moving walls... and this could be the point of divergent opinion, for while it's a truly ingenious gameplay sequence, it's also a very abrupt difficulty spike and gameplay reorientation, an extremely rough fight for survival as moving walls block your shots (or just crush you dead) and Mutants snipe you with their inhuman reflexes. Still, when you finally defeat the Ubermutant alien overlord, grab a fighter spacecraft and speed away as the lunar crust crumbles upon the explosive chain reaction of the secret global network of Nazi fusion reactors (what? I have an unhinged imagination), you will have gained a unique experience that will remain in your memories for a long time.

Map 10 - Before The Dawn - this thing is getting more and more long winded as I go, so let's get a bit more concise. This is my final vote, a grand, carefully planned and intricately inverwoven system that combines meticulous decoration, consistently high quality combat and great aesthetic taste. A job well done.

Map 11 - Classic Approach - well, I'm conflicted here. On one hand, the aesthetics, architecture and combat choerography are all impeccable. On the other hand, the ammo balance is extremely tight. Of course, limiting the player's resources is not in itself a bad thing, but my complaint is much more specific. See, halfway through the map you reach this large wooden area. It's open, threatening and thrillingly dynamic. Yet this is also the place where you're quite likely to run out of ammo if you're not really careful. Thing is, this is not the place to be careful. This room deserves some rapid, blood pumping action. So after going in and shooting everyone up, I found myself with not enough bullets to proceed, which put a damper on my enjoyment and simply put me off. I realize few will agree with me and this is a purely personal gripe, but I can't help feeling how I feel. tl;dr a bad player complaining, don't mind me

There. I hope someone will find this interesting, if not actually useful.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for your kind words on Gates, Serpens. Smile I was actually quite happy with the gameplay in this map. The exploding barrels area was one sequence heavily inspired by RonWolf and AlumiuN, and while the layout isn't as fancy as Blah, I thought it played quite well.

And, yes - the "small-nes" of Blah was more or less deliberate. At least a quarter of the map is nothing but unused space, but I didn't see much of a way to add to it without it feeling forced. So for the sake of keeping the map entry more solid, some space in the map remained unused. For whatever it's worth, my next map submission is bigger overall.

The same goes for my "Mutants Amok" map, which I plan to release outside of MMC territory. M.A. isn't a terrible map I suppose, but it borrows too many elements from my June 2017 entries. It does deliver a more complex map structure than Blah, but the map is easier to navigate overall, IMO. I'll also be throwing in a modified VSWAP for those interested in seeing my new 64x64 treasure sprites. You can use the June MMC VSWAP if you prefer, but the map plays exactly the same either way. Like all my other submissions for MMC (including music), feel free to use the new sprites in any way you see fit. I wouldn't include them in the MMC files if I didn't want them going around the Internet. Smile
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:21 pm

serpens wrote:
an awesome post

One of the best ever! 5 minutes of my life, well spent! ;-D

DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Aryan_Wolf3D wrote:
serpens wrote:
an awesome post

One of the best ever! 5 minutes of my life, well spent! ;-D

More like irretrievably lost! Though honestly, reading writeups like this were always the most fun part of these contests, second to actually playing the maps. Now I learned that writing one is just as fun.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 am

I happen to agree with a lot of what serpens has to say here (except about Level 3, it's a great vanilla like map, so relax!). In fact, it got one of my votes, with the other two also going to 8 and 10. Level 1 was clearly my fourth favorite and just a tiny hair below the three I voted for, mostly because the lack of shading takes away from the atmosphere just a bit. It would have been a really tough decision which one (between 1, 3, 8, and 10) not to vote for had it not been for that ever-so-small distinction.

I don't want to basically paraphrase everything serpens said, which would be the case in some of these maps, so I'm just going to add things where I have something to add (often grouping together maps by the same author):

1 and 10 - In both of these levels, I was convinced the last area actually was a reuse of the starting area, as opposed to another area that has virtually the same design with minor changes. Good job there. Both maps great quality as always from Ariel (with a little ack to kick 1 off). 10 got my last vote (chronologically).

3 - My only qualms here, and they're fairly minor - not enough to lose a vote (my first vote) - are giving out the chaingun for free in the optional grey stone area (it's still not that easy even with the chaingun, however) and not using the different variants of grey stone and grey stone w/ slime textures. Otherwise, pure vanilla goodness with just a few well used MMC features that only add to it. Highlights are after the first teleport where you have a door on all four sides and no real good cover in the area beyond (brown cave area), and surprising with a boss just when you think you're done (though this isn't the only map to do it).

4 and 7 - Tricob's somewhat 'random' use a mutants isn't exactly to my taste, but I enjoyed these anyways. In 4, highlights were the outdoor area where you have to keep running around the mutants, and the area with the moving walls. In 7, the use of the main 'gates' area, the forest with moving walls (makes it a bit scarier), and all that exploding barrels section were highlights. I managed to kill the boss after meeting him the first time, but the set up of how you get back there with access to the chaingun later is well done anyways.

5 and 12 - These were not that short, though they could have gone on for longer. I preferred 5, because the Schabbs fight is a huge highlight and the last area is tense in that you truly must just keep moving to cross the room - there truly is no safe spot to just hang around.

6 - Well done 'different' level with my only qualm being you should have to kill Hitler in the last area before leaving. Definitely has that hellish atmosphere.

8 - My second vote. I really had this down as AlumiuN's work and was shocked it was Military instead. Other maps I've played by Military didn't leave nearly this strong of an impression on me either. This is a real gem with a lot of weirdness and plenty of variety (a hellish area and a dark, creepy themed area), and as serpens said, it keeps giving, and doesn't repeat the same thing over and over. Playing around with the health was also very interesting. The moving walls blocked my shots sometimes, but it wasn't a big deal once I knew not to shoot unless they were at least one full tile away. I also like how you manage to hear Wilhelm wake up and don't hear him teleport, yet he's in a completely different area.

9 - Most of this is well done, though the pistol play lasts a bit too long for me and it's unfortunate the two maps with the dark, creepy forest section were placed consecutively, making it not feel as fresh this time. The mutant section, however, simply tickled too much with my frustration. Too often I couldn't see the mutants very well (when it's mutants, that is a serious problem) and throwing the random boss into the Ubermutant secret was not a decision that sat with me well.

11 - I'd have had a much better impression of this level with a few changes. First, more ammo - running low was an issue. Not taking the enemies all the way down to one bullet would have helped. Second, don't hide the machinegun. Third, make the big wooden room and the last room much harder to just run past. Maybe put a key in the big wooden room and a boss in the last room (for another key). The Angel of Death/Hitler area in 6 was a similar problem to these two areas - the player should need to actually stay for a fight.

DieHard SS

poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:10 pm

That's a fair point about the Chain Gun. In retrospect, perhaps I should have made it only accessible with the gold key. Oh well.

<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Alright, here are my thoughts on the levels themselves (again, only the levels I did not (co-)author). The green titles indicate the levels I gave my three votes to.

Please take what follows for what it is - just my own thoughts and nothing more, nothing less. Once again, I will spoil alert things so that you can choose exactly what to read and what not to read (I hope this doesn't make reading things more difficult to anybody; if it does, please let me know and I will certainly bear it in mind going forward):

2 - Nazis' Song
This definitely looks like a map done by someone who is taking his/her first steps in mapping - at least with this specific mapping kit. I applaud the effort. I hope more maps come from this person as I certainly see potential. Kudos for trying!
Who I believe did the level: beefjerky26
Why: beefjerky26 and I interchanged a few messages during May and/or June and I gave him a little hand setting things up so that he could map for this thing for the first time. This makes me believe that this is his map.
Post-poll comments: Nice to see Officer-Michael John making his debut in this contest. Here's hoping we will see more from him! Smile

3 - Flavorless
This level has a vanilla feel to it as it doesn't seem that many MMC-specific features have been used. Nothing wrong with that at all. This 2017 package is one where people have gone crazy with some of the features (most notably the ever-moving walls), and this level provides a refreshing change. Nice shading, too. My personal highlight would be the section where you get teleported inside a square-shaped room (the room where you grab the chaingun and other resources) and the moment you fire a shot there are guys coming at you from all cardinal points. Very nicely designed. My complaint would be twofold in this map: I don't like the song (I have never liked this one song, to be truly honest), and the boss room at the end could use a bit more work; for some reason it seems a bit underdecorated (or not entirely well thought out) unlike the rest of the level.
My second favourite level of the set and as such it gets one of my three votes.
Who I believe did the level: serpens
Why: Several sections of the level remind of me of his use of columns towards the end of his 'Sentinel' map from the early contests - which did really well if my memory serves. That, and serpens himself told me he had contributed one level, so this one definitely has to be it.
Post-poll comments: Truly great to see serpens returning to this community effort. I for one missed his participation in this thing - and I am sure others did too. And many congrats on emerging victorious for the first time! Smile

4 - Blah
This is an eerie level. For some reason it conveys the atmosphere of a haunted place to me, which the song chosen for it helps strengthen. My highlight would be the mutant-infested section adorned with torches and complemented with the ever-moving blocks. This is a level where you're bound to end up with low percent ratios if you don't work hard to find your secrets, so it felt really rewarding when I did. I like what I see in the secret areas, too; it makes the experience of finding them more satisfying.
Why: Something about those serpent-like, narrow or one-squared corridors and the use of mutants in outdoor enviroments ala "See Not Touch" from the 2007/2008 contests. Tricob himself said he had submitted two maps for this so this one has to be one of them for sure. Also, the variance of wall types in the same corridors, like you would have one wall type to your left and a different wall type to your right in the same serpent-like corridor. And of course, the use of the table with the lit candle. Smile
Post-poll comments: Looks like I was right about the author... Smile It is interesting to read about the reasons behind the level name, which I was rather curious about myself. Also, I had a feeling that 'Gates' -to which I have also attached Tricob's name- would fare better in the voting than this level, but there you go.

5 - Movement
This level has an interesting concept going on but I am afraid I am left wanting more. This submission feels a bit too short and underdeveloped in some areas, most notably where the ever-moving blocks are. I would welcome some more content and some more decorative work here and there. The Schabbs area is fine and the mutants spawning in to aid their maker is an unexpected and well-received trick; I certainly did not see that coming! Well done there.
Why: The use of one-word titles like we have seen before (examples like "Dogs", "Antartica" and "Telekinesis") is a hint. For some time I have associated ronwolf1705's levels with innovative approaches (or "concept" maps), so a level like this with ever-moving blocks and how to work your way around them would, in principle, sound like something coming from him - as "Telekinesis" did in Q2 2014. I believe I have seen him use this exact same song before, too.
Post-poll comments: Looks like I was right about the author here too... Smile

6 - Prove Your Worth
I like this level. It certainly is very original and nothing like we've seen in this MMC thingie so far, so kudos for that. For some reason it brings back memories of some DOOM or DOOM2 mods I played back in the day where every level was a boss level of sorts, with mostly symmetrical layouts and health and ammo scattered galore. CyberDreams? Maybe, but I'm not 100% sure. Did you know that the level has a bit of a storyline attached to it? And a neat one at that, I will say!
Why: I was allowed to play an early (or unreleased) version of it before the package came out on 1 June.
Post-poll comments: Nice to see this level got some love in the voting. I honestly had the nasty feeling that it was going to be rather maligned. Great to see I was completely wrong.

7 - Gates
I genuinely like this level very much and I think Tricob is being too harsh on himself. To me, it shows that quite a decent amount of work, effort and more rework and more effort have gone into the making of this level and that is something to praise. Highlights for me are the central section with the fences that you keep coming back to to enter new challenges, the mutant-infested secret area with treasure and one 1-up that you access through the area filled with explodable barrels, and the other secret area of similar characteristics that is close to the exit elevator.
My fourth favourite level of the set and as such I would have given it one of my votes had four votes been allowed.
Why: Pretty much the same reasons I mentioned for 'Blah' above... Smile
Post-poll comments: I was glad to see that this level didn't end up with zero votes and that someone found it worthy of their top-three (Poet, I am speaking about you!). It would have been unfortunate had no votes at all been given to it. I definitely had a feeling that this level would fare better in the voting than 'Blah' (speaking of which, it would be interesting to hear from those who voted for 'Blah' and why they felt it was better than this one).

8 - Wash Your Hands
I am afraid I do not like this level as much as others but it is clear I am in the minority, as plenty others do and it even has a video on YouTube now by JohnLobo87 (formerly Balames87). It is clear that a lot, a lot of time and effort has gone into this level so I applaud that for sure, but it simply does not click with me as I wish it did. My main problem is that the level is really large (that is in itself a plus given that this is the regular 64x64 canvas we are using), but several times I have found myself running around in circles looking where to go next as it is absolutely not clear at all to me what the switches I have pushed actually do. In all my three runs I have had to spend over 30 minutes running around, 10 minutes of which have had to be spent looking what to do next. Maybe that is a problem of mine. I see that others like the eerie atmosphere but I personally do not feel the level is as effective at that as I would like. The black forest is too black for me, I am afraid.
Who I believe did the level: AlumiuN
Why: The beginning of the level -rather the entire level, really- reminds me of 'Ash Wednesday'. There's this eerie atmosphere (like a corner of the Netherworld, such as serpens eloquently put it in his awesome post here) and bosses in white panel sections adorned with columns that I am sure I've seen in AlumiuN's maps before. Also, for some reason I am thinking of a religious connection between names such as "Ash Wednesday" and "Wash Your Hands" (add to that that AlumiuN comes from a place called Christchurch), so there you go.
Post-poll comments: I was 500% sure this level was by AlumiuN. Some of his earlier maps gave off a certain difficult-to-explain energy that would usually steer my thoughts towards him when thinking of potential authors. This level literally SCREAMED his name at me. I simply CAN'T believe I was wrong with this one. Shows you what I know, I guess! Also, congrats to Military on making such an impressive debut with a map that so many people liked - and that even got a playthrough video on YouTube!

9 - Planetside
Cool level name. Probably my favourite level name of the bunch. Right before playing the level for the first time the name alone made me think of a map where you can see one face of a planet from a space station or something. It is, I believe, the first level we've had with a blue moon. I like the mutant area with the moving walls very much; it is in fact my favourite section of the level, and the Ubermutant popping up out of nowhere only adds to it. I like the inclusion of a random boss, too; if I remember correctly, I got another Ubermutant in my first run, Gretel in my second, and General Fatface in my third. My only complaint would be the shading; I would probably choose a lighter shading (meaning not so dark), which is all the more noticeable in the forest area. Other than that I like mostly everything I see. The music chosen only adds to the eerie atmosphere.
My first favourite level of the set and as such it gets one of my three votes.
Who I believe did the level: Military
Why: I have not played anything by Military prior to the release of this package, so this is a wild guess. This is the only map of the set to which I cannot attach a specific name so knowing that Military submitted a level I am guessing this is the one.
Post-poll comments: I must say that AlumiuN is a true chameleon when it comes to mapping. Not for a second did I think this might be his as, like I said above, I put all my money on 'Wash Your Hands'.

11 - Classic Approach
Really tight on ammo, especially because the guards drop only 1 round. The level starts with something simple and then builds up to something really intense, especially towards the very end. The architecture is sublime and the whole level is very beautiful. It is really, really easy to get frustrated if you're not careful with your supplies; I fear that some people will have this complaint. Some knifing is strongly advised. Did you realise when you were playing that this level has deliberately only one floor code and that every single guard has been made deaf? I have a feeling you did not. This is absolutely by design and if you did not realise, then the map has been successful, and that can only happen because it was masterfully designed in that sense.
My third favourite level of the set and as such it gets one of my three votes.
Why: I have played literally hundreds of levels made by ack so I've learned to notice hints of his style when I play his maps. The use of pillars, the way the big, open sections look and play like, his use of sofas to adorn lounges, and the glass objects he places in front of other walls are some examples. ack confirmed for me that this level was his when I asked, too. He aptly made me wait until the package was released to play the level... Smile
Post-poll comments: I was glad to see that this level got some love in the voting, too. I was afraid that the resource management involved would be a source of frustration for many and that as such the level wouldn't get the recognition that -I thought- it deserved.

12 - Hide N' Sneak
Similar in a way to 'Movement', like others have pointed out. I prefer this one over the former, though. Just like with 'Movement', though, I end up with virtually the same feelings with this one: the level offers an interesting -and certainly innovative- approach but it feels too short to me, though in this case I feel that more work has gone into it in terms of -at least- decoration. That's how I myself feel, anyway. Also, for some reason in all of my three runs I have done something that has caused the hordes of SS in the main room to become deaf and dumb (I am not sure what it has been, but in all three times it has happened after I have gone into the Otto section and come back out), which has made it possible for me to do away with everyone at my own leisure, grab all the necessary keys and kiss the level bye bye without even needing to do the Ubermutant section, the mutant-infested maze, and the death artifact routine that you can see in the video that's posted on YouTube. In fact, I learned that all of those sections existed only after I had watched the video. Perhaps if I had had to go through all of those other sections my overall impression of the level would have been different; if anything, it would have probably made me feel that the level was larger than I ended up feeling it was. By the way, what game is the song from? Is it 'Operation Body Count'? First time I've seen it used.
Why: Nearly all the same comments I made for 'Movement' apply here, save for the use of one-word titles like we have seen before... Smile
Post-poll comments: Really good to see the level got a video on YouTube. Does anyone know if the person that uploaded the video is someone that frequents this forum? I am curious as to who it is. The only thing that I can deduce by watching the video is that it must be someone from the United States based on the accent (and then even this might not be entirely correct), but that is about it, I am afraid.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you for your kind words on my MMC submissions. Smile

My maps this past month got roughly the same amount of votes they usually get; I don't know why I was all that surprised. I guess after being absent from the MMC scene for so long, I didn't really know what to expect. At least now though, I'm starting to learn from my mistakes. Well, I *think* I'm learning, anyway. I suppose I'll know for sure when the next contest is over. Razz
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Arielus wrote:
Does anyone know if the person that uploaded the video is someone that frequents this forum? I am curious as to who it is. The only thing that I can deduce by watching the video is that it must be someone from the United States based on the accent (and then even this might not be entirely correct), but that is about it, I am afraid.

She's a member of the forum as well: pwojo588.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Arielus wrote:
Does anyone know if the person that uploaded the video is someone that frequents this forum? I am curious as to who it is. The only thing that I can deduce by watching the video is that it must be someone from the United States based on the accent (and then even this might not be entirely correct), but that is about it, I am afraid.

She's a member of the forum as well: pwojo588.

Thanks a lot, Sir!

Ariel

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: