DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Are Missions 2 and 3 Canon to Wolfenstein 3D and Spear 1?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 156

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:06 pm
   Subject: Are Missions 2 and 3 Canon to Wolfenstein 3D and Spear 1?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Does anyone on here think missions 2 and 3 are canon to Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny mission 1? I think they could be, but they may not actually be canon. They are technically just mods. Poor quality mods at that. Ultimate Challenge maps were good though. I liked that mission 3 referenced the classic DOOM series. Both the Activision version and Formgen version do. Activision contains UAC logos whereas Formgen shows a picture of Mars.
Sigma64
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:53 am
   Subject: Re: Are Missions 2 and 3 Canon to Wolfenstein 3D and Spear 1?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This, as always, is a bit complicated. In one of the modern Wolf3D sequels, the Spear is referenced, but if my memory serves my correctly, it is simply stated that "We could have use that...", or something along those lines. Had the mission packs been considered canon, the logical quote would be to express Bj's formidable ability of repeatedly defeating them in the conquest for the spear.

HOWEVER

The modern Wolfenstein games are not likely considered canon for the purpose of this discussion, although RTCW and some of the pre-2009 games could be considered canon. However, if we are sticking with the original "Wolf3D Canon", we can only include Wolf3D, SOD, and, as begs the question, SOD II and possibly SOD III.

The main problem with considering them canon is, in my opinion, the bosses. SOD II and SOD III have the exact same bosses, aside from the peculiarly kill-able toxic gas clouds on SOD III: Level 21. To presume that the bosses (A) Are siblings/Look the same as the former bosses, or (B) That Quarkblitz's death-scream, "Not again!" is anything other that a reference to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is a bit far fetched, unless we presume that Schabbs resurrected them all, which, considering Quarkblitz's aforementioned phrase, is not completely implausible.

In conclusion, if you want the mission packs to be canon, the are. If you don't, they don't. There is no official canon/non-canon decider here, unless we emailed the original developers, asked all their opinions, and judged democratically based upon the number of those who say yes, and those who say no.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 am

I think Sigma said it better than I ever could. The two Mission packs didn't really seem to take themselves too seriously, and it doesn't look like there was much communication between Id and Formgen when it came to devising the plot (The designers possibly hadn't even beaten the 6 original episodes). I myself wouldn't consider them canon unless it's beneficial to a mod I'm creating.
ReddimusVonAggrevatii

Topics: 2

bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 am

I doubt they are canon.
I mean, if it was , the Spear would've been in enemy hands three times already and it would present the Americans are a bunch of non-intelligent people, who somehow lose the spear three times in a row.
And at some point BJ would probably give up.

WHEN IT IS MINE?
Sigma64
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:41 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

In my opnion, the problem with the mission packs is that they were made by developers who had never made graphics/levels for a serious game. Most video games of the day were simple and all-ages friendly, so the art style turned out to be a little bit like Commander Keen or the original Duke Nukem, and the levels were full of silly layouts, like an Xs and Os board, a giant "radioactive" symbol, or, in the case of SOD II: Map 21, the head of (?) the Angel of Death (Perhaps). The problem with this is that it makes things look unrealistic, and makes the levels less functional than easter-eggy.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: