DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

DHW Mapping League 1 released!
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which maps were your favorite (up to three)?
Saving the Day (by Arielus)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Fog Of War (by Nexion)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Attack on Schnitzelhaus (by Sigma64)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cave Creep (by Nexion)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Labs and Pipes (by Officer-Michael John)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nasty Little Traps (by Tricob)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Layers Of Hell (by Atina)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Way Off Key (by Arielus)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Seasons' Action (by Officer-Michael John)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Eight Zeroes (by AlumiuN)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
The Onion (by ronwolf1705)
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Voted : 8
Total Votes : 20

AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:31 pm
   Subject: DHW Mapping League 1 released!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

And it's looking like a doozy - after being at only about 5 maps a month ago, we managed to make it to a grand total of eleven maps! I haven't been able to do in depth testing of the maps, but hopefully they all work Smile

GRAB IT HERE

The maps, in order, are as follows:

Saving The Day
Fog Of War
Attack On Schnitzelhaus
Cave Creep
Labs And Pipes
Nasty Little Traps
Layers Of Hell
Way Off Key
Seasons' Action
Eight Zeroes
The Onion

If a moderator could add a poll for those, it would be much appreciated Smile

Edit: Consider it done - the moderators. Smile
Wolf3DGuy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 4
hungary.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
   Subject: Re: DHW Mapping League 1 released!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I think I'm not the only one who waited for it. Tomorrow I'll try it.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 72

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Fantastic to see this is still going strong after all these years! Smile Hopefully I'll be able to play it.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:49 am

That is most definitely a great number of maps for an inaugural package. I certainly did not see that coming but what a cool surprise!

Congrats on attracting so much interest, AlumiuN, and good luck to everyone participating! It will be really interesting to see what people have come up with with this new engine.

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:25 pm

I've uploaded a small patch that makes crosses provide the correct number of points, instead of 100 times more than they were supposed to. I don't know how that slipped past me Razz
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Could anyone offer some help on Level 4, Cave Creeps?
I haven't even made it to one single door yet. So far, I can get past the moving "lava walls", but after that, I seem to find myself at a dead end after that. The routes that existed at the start of the level are now blocked off by the lava walls. Any suggestions on what to do next?
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21 am

The path you take after activating the first set of lava walls closes off the way you came in; however, you can run back up it from the other end, and if you do so and end up with the lava walls in front of you, they will end up blocking you off. You have to keep yourself in front of them with them still chasing you.

Fair warning, though; the rest of that level is absolutely brutal, especially if you want 100% ratios.

In other news, I've uploaded a patch that should make it possible to get 100% secrets in Attack On Schnitzelhaus.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 am

AlumiuN wrote:
The path you take after activating the first set of lava walls closes off the way you came in; however, you can run back up it from the other end, and if you do so and end up with the lava walls in front of you, they will end up blocking you off. You have to keep yourself in front of them with them still chasing you.

Fair warning, though; the rest of that level is absolutely brutal, especially if you want 100% ratios.
Thank you for your tips and the warning on the difficulty. Smile

I'm downloading the patch now.
Tris
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 2
austria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:38 am

Very nice! I love the sounds, new status bar and messages!
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

I've uploaded a patch that fixes a small issue with the map Eight Zeroes.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

It looks like these maps are inspiring me to make another one of my own. I hope it's not too much of a nightmare to port things over when AlumiuN releases his new map kit ...
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Tricob wrote:
It looks like these maps are inspiring me to make another one of my own. I hope it's not too much of a nightmare to port things over when AlumiuN releases his new map kit ...

I might be messing with the object structure a little, but there shouldn't be too many changes. However, there will be quite a few new features that you might want to use, so I would hold off on it until the kit's ready Razz
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:57 pm

I have finished playing the set for the first time now. Very nice to see what people have come up with with this new engine. This time around I am only sure of who made what with only two levels, which is nice because I am most likely in for some surprises once the names are revealed. Unlike with previous releases, I am not sure about any favourite maps after my first round, either; I will do my best to play the set again and hopefully a third time before the voting closes so that I can cast a truly honest vote.

Thanks and good luck to all who took up of their spare time to make maps for this.

Cheers,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 106
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Only to level 2, great maps so far.
Love the fog in general, fog in games in general and this fog too. Great Boss battle in map 1

I only want to note on art side of things (and whatever I claim - it's a subjective to me obviously, just personal opinion)

1. I think distance shading looks bad on solid floor/ceiling "oldschool" maps/mods, doesn't add anything and is too gradient-looking. Unless made dark enough to make a creepy "out of the dark" scenes - and it's not.
I do exclude the fog effect from this, I think that is a keeper, though is a bit...too strong and too abrupt (jumping from low fog to very high fog is instant) and badly gradiented/paletted so things lose their look too fast. So I'd improve its coding, but I love fog, give it to me anytime, sure in snow maps, love those in general.

2. Lack of object shadows....why? Even with distance shading, those are unrelated and much required, on any floor but sure on solid one. Things just look...floating above the floor, unrelated to the surroundings, grotesk...and if things don't cast shadow, do they exist? You know how much I usually perfectionist on shading, including on Extreme series.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:01 am

doomjedi wrote:
1. I think distance shading looks bad on solid floor/ceiling "oldschool" maps/mods, doesn't add anything and is too gradient-looking. Unless made dark enough to make a creepy "out of the dark" scenes - and it's not.
I do exclude the fog effect from this, I think that is a keeper, though is a bit...too strong and too abrupt (jumping from low fog to very high fog is instant) and badly gradiented/paletted so things lose their look too fast. So I'd improve its coding, but I love fog, give it to me anytime, sure in snow maps, love those in general.

There's not much I can really I do about this; the palette doesn't really allow for it very well. I could make the shading a lot smoother by switching the rendering to 32-bit colour, but the tradeoff then is that it'll run like shit at any half-decent resolution (and also complicate some other things).

doomjedi wrote:
2. Lack of object shadows....why? Even with distance shading, those are unrelated and much required, on any floor but sure on solid one. Things just look...floating above the floor, unrelated to the surroundings, grotesk...and if things don't cast shadow, do they exist? You know how much I usually perfectionist on shading, including on Extreme series.

Not much that can be done about this either; creating separate shadow sprites for each object and recolouring them to the appropriate floor colour is probably the only reasonable way of doing it, but that'd take way more time and energy than I have.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Why separate shadow sprites? Wolf3D objects have them anyway in the original game (unless we mean different things) and for others is just a copy of those.

Regarding 32 bit - I think linuxwolf can advise (he even rendered 2 palettes in Arrow mod - one for the skybox and one for the rest, I think his shading engine was 23 bit as well (?) and all went smooth, not without a coding effort on his side.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:48 pm

doomjedi wrote:
Why separate shadow sprites? Wolf3D objects have them anyway in the original game (unless we mean different things) and for others is just a copy of those.
The original shadows in the objects were darkened grey. But if you have a black "floor" for outside areas, they appear as though it's brightening the ground like a flashlight.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 pm

I see.

They they should be recolored for solid black
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 pm

I have rewritten the Wolf3D engine for 32-bit before, and it did work; the problem is that when increasing the colour depth, blitting the buffer to the screen takes four times as long. This isn't a problem at lower resolutions, but once you get above about 1280x800 it can start to cause problems, even on relatively powerful systems (even with an i7-3770K I didn't always get 70fps at 1600x1000, for example). I know that at least a few people here are playing on systems where performance is at a premium, so I don't really see this as a viable option.

As far as the shadows go, I feel like using solid black shadows is probably not going to look much better than none at all; I think the reason the original ones looked good is because they were soft shadows. Having said that, if someone is willing to go through the VSWAP and put shadows on everything, it could be worth trying. (then again, if someone is willing to put shadows on everything, they could make separate smooth shadow sprites and I can recolour them as necessary, although this would also run into the problem the shading does on certain floor colours).
Atina
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:45 pm

lol i thought it's obvious that the shadows and lamps were adjusted to melt with the floor color. Don't see an issue of them having no shadow.
This is getting overly complicated for no good reason ><
Why not make them black dithered. I did such for some very old project and it looked fine.
Old games relied on simple tricks like that which might haven't been perfect but good enough to not waste more resources.

https://s14.postimg.org/4gfjel669/untitled.png

Also 32-bit shading looks bad and out of place in pixel games in my opnion. You can see single pixels and so you can see the shade lines too! Contrast over blandness.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm

The dithering can get distorted when the sprites are too far away to see all its pixels; it can alternate between shadow blobs to dithered shadows to uneven "checkerboard" shading. The walls and sprites looked as good as they did in the old engine because it looked more like a "teleportation effect" as the walls and objects moved closer to you. Id knew better than to put dithering in its shading like it's suggested here. Smile
Atina
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 am

You could also just have a solid core in the middle with dither around. Over distance sprites are getting smaller and less visible in general but still stay dithered for most. Same about the faces of enemies. At some distance they might have only 1 eye so it would be better to avoid having eyes. Don't think ID knew it better. They just went for the compromise of having 1 floor color.

<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 am

Been playing some more of the set. I think I may have spotted a third author now but many of the levels still have me baffled in terms of authorship, which is cool. I am fairly certain we will see some debutants on the authors list once the names are revealed.

Along with some approaches leaning more towards the vanilla-like side, it's been nice to see some people have embraced many of the new features AlumiuN has introduced. Did I just see all baddies drop dead right in front of me in one of the levels? That was neat. I've also seen some clever instant/relative teleporter combinations used here and there to achieve smart and crazy outcomes. People liked their fog and weather effects a lot in this package, too!

Hope others are having fun with the maps as well.

Cheers,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:35 am

Just under a week for people to get their votes in; hopefully we end up with a few more than the small number present currently Razz
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 am

I just put in my vote. I suspect more than one map is done by the same person, so for every map that this happens, there'll be one less vote overall. Sad
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 am

Well, people who haven't created maps will also vote, so in the end I don't think it really matters.
Wolf3DGuy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

hungary.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:32 am

I voted after finished with the maps, it's sad there's only 1 map which got my vote.

<B>Moderator</B>

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Well, people who haven't created maps will also vote, so in the end I don't think it really matters.

Coupled with that, there will also be folks who have submitted maps (one or more) who will not vote due to lack of time or other reasons. It has happened before.

We have also had several cases of people voting for only one, sometimes two, but not three maps (in rounds where the maximum number of votes allowed was three, which has almost always been the case). I respect such decision, but I have always had a bit of a hard time understanding why one can't bring oneself to cast the maximum number of votes. Granted, you may truly like only one map in the package, perhaps two, or even perhaps none at all, but if you've played them all then surely you can choose the three (or whichever the maximum is) that you disliked the least and put in your votes?

We have even had cases of folks that have openly said they didn't have time to play all the maps in a given package but still voted taking into account only the levels they did play (not knowing if their votes would have been different had they played the entire thing). Others have openly said they would never put in their votes unless they've played the whole package.

Some people will vote for their maps only (one, two, or however many they've submitted) and not anybody else's. Even in cases when they don't honestly think that their maps are the best in the package. Still, it's their right to do so.

Other people will never vote for their own maps, even if they sincerely think that their own maps are the best in the lot.

Lots of different possibilities, really. I do agree with AlumiuN above in that I was hoping there'd be more votes in this inaugural package of the Mapping League.

Cheers,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Arielus wrote:
Coupled with that, there will also be folks who have submitted maps (one or more) who will not vote due to lack of time or other reasons. It has happened before.

I fear that's going to be me this time around Laughing I did play a little though, and liked what I saw so far.

7 is not that bad I guess, given how inactive this forum can be at times.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:29 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ronwolf1705 wrote:
7 is not that bad I guess, given how inactive this forum can be at times.
Indeed - the popularity of the forums seem to go up and down irregularly. At first, I thought it had to do with the time of year, but it seems the equation is a bit more complicated.

I imagine one surge in traffic came during the widespread attention towards SonderKommando Revolt. If we get something like that again, it'll be interesting to see the impetus of it all.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: