DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Favorite Wolfenstein 3D Secret Level
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Joshua
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 221

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:08 pm
   Subject: Favorite Wolfenstein 3D Secret Level
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

What is or are your favorite Wolfenstein 3D secret level(s)? Mine would be episode 1 level 10 just because of the Around the Corner Soundtrack. The level has frustrated me at times when I tried to beat it the first time the right way without using cheats.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 162

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 pm
   Subject: Re: Favorite Wolfenstein 3D Secret Level
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

E6L10 by a country mile. Great music, great usage of textures, sprites and enemies. A lot of different environments under one roof. It felt enormous when you went and explored the gray/slime areas and the softwood partition area was cozy and brilliantly put together. A secret level should baffle you, yet reward you. This is where E4L10 and E5L10 miss the point completely. E3L10 has the great novelty of the ghosts, and quite good portions of treasure, E2L10 has a lot to discover (great music as well) and a lot of treasure. E1L10 explores this viewpoint as well and adds the (compared to the rest of Episode 1) completely alien texture of purple stone.
Joshua
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 221

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I actually liked the puzzles that they had in the episode 1 secret level where the enemies actually do lurk behind a corner. The player can't see them and has to sneak and be alert in this level. I actually do like the episode 1 level 10 a lot more now for this reason.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 166
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The "enemy in a corner" idea wasn't bad to me, but I did feel it was botched up somewhat when it was first used; they were supposed to be hidden, but they were far too visible when the player was approaching them the first two times. Their other times it was used in the map, they didn't have such problems, and it only made me wonder why they were laid out the way they were in their first appearances. Quite a shame, as things like well-hidden secrets were done extremely well.

I have to agree with Thomas that E6L10 was the best of the secret levels. It has four very distinct areas, the difficulty is high without being daunting, the layout and enemy placement always makes sense, and there's also the in-game melody that simply scores a bullseye.

As for SOD, I'm not sure which one I like better; Map 19 was large and complex, and it even delivered some interesting strategy. But the DOS EXE had it ruined with the 400 Static Objects glitch, and even when playing EXEs where the bug is fixed, the memories of it give me a bad taste in my mouth every time I play the map. I probably still like the level better than Floor 20, as over half of your time is spent pushing walls and nothing else; too much of every area looks the same, it's too easy to push the wrong walls, and as tolerant as I am of backtracking, there's far too much of it in this map even for me.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: