DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 103

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 am
   Subject: Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here's something neat I've found: Code::Blocks allows the color scheme to be customized.

I've changed it so it has white text on a black background, has full brightness (255) with active code, and half brightness (128) with inactive code, and has the following colors:

Red -- Preprocessor directives

Yellow -- Highlighted text

Green -- Programming language keywords

Cyan -- User defined keywords

Blue -- Comments

Magenta -- Operators

This looks really cool, and makes it easier to inspect code.

A while ago, Tricob said that he strongly dislikes Code::Blocks, and finds it's user interface extremely unwelcoming. I wonder if he's tried re-configuring it.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 168
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:04 pm
   Subject: Re: Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

OT -

Matthew wrote:
A while ago, Tricob said that he strongly dislikes Code::Blocks, and finds it's user interface extremely unwelcoming. I wonder if he's tried re-configuring it.
It would require a *lot* of reconfiguring before I could find it tolerable. The compiler really leaves you in the dark if an error in the compiling process occurs. It has the tendency to blurt out errors without telling you what's causing them. It's much like those old-fashioned Christmas lights where one bad bulb causes the whole string of lights to not light up, only worse.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 41
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I've never had any issues with Code::Blocks providing reasonable errors.

Colour-wise, I've never been able to figure out if it's possible to change the colours of the IDE itself rather than just the text editor; IMO there's no point in adding a nice dark theme to the editor when all of the surrounding UI is the same bright colour it is otherwise.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:52 pm

Tricob wrote:
The compiler really leaves you in the dark if an error in the compiling process occurs. It has the tendency to blurt out errors without telling you what's causing them.

Code::Blocks is just an IDE, which supports most widely used programming languages, and can be used with almost any C or C++ compiler. Compilers are separate, and are not part of the Code::Blocks project.

The compiler is externally run by Code::Blocks. What Code::Blocks shows is just the output of the compiler.

If you need information about a warning or error message, do a Google search.

AlumiuN wrote:
I've never been able to figure out if it's possible to change the colours of the IDE itself rather than just the text editor; IMO there's no point in adding a nice dark theme to the editor when all of the surrounding UI is the same bright colour it is otherwise.

Some of the other IDE elements can have their colors set. Not all of them can, but you can get a nice dark start page, with cyan links.

Many people don't like dark and primitive themes. But this "rainbow" color scheme is without a doubt the coolest coding color scheme I've ever seen. Smile

I have been using it for only two days, and already don't want to go back.

Code that I write tends not to have many errors, because I inspect it, before attempting to compile it. This color scheme makes it much easier to do so.

The programming I do requires a lot of complex code to work perfectly. I cannot rely on the compiler, or a debugger, finding errors.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 58
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 am

My main issue with Code::Blocks is that each new version seems to take longer to start up, I dare say it might be getting almost as bad as the champion of snails Visual Studio. On my netbook v8.02 took about 5 seconds and v16.04 took about 27 seconds to open and my early test with v17.12 didn't seem to show any improvement speed-wise. Never had any speed problem opening the Orwell version of Dev C++ 5.11, just pop in your favorite version of MinGW and you're good to go. Very Happy
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:11 pm

I haven't noticed any significant decrease in opening speed, but then again both of the computers I use it on are much faster than netbooks Razz
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 am

Matthew wrote:
Tricob wrote:
The compiler really leaves you in the dark if an error in the compiling process occurs. It has the tendency to blurt out errors without telling you what's causing them.

Code::Blocks is just an IDE, which supports most widely used programming languages, and can be used with almost any C or C++ compiler. Compilers are separate, and are not part of the Code::Blocks project.

The compiler is externally run by Code::Blocks. What Code::Blocks shows is just the output of the compiler.

If you need information about a warning or error message, do a Google search.
Here's the thing - Dev C++ does *not* require you to use a Google Search at all; it just tells you what the problem is. So you're saying I should go and run through Google every single time I have an error? Dev C++ and other compiler managers don't require that, so why should Code Blocks? You ask far too little from your programs. If you spend less time stopping and going for a search every time there's an error, you'll see that there's a lot less time spent debugging as a whole. You'll get an amazing amount of work done every time you program ... even if it's in a short time frame.

Quote:
The programming I do requires a lot of complex code to work perfectly. I cannot rely on the compiler, or a debugger, finding errors.
I think that would necessitate the debugger do more rather than less. Typos are a *very* major problem whenever I code, so looking up something on the Internet simply won't help me solve my problem.
fraggeur
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 14

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00 am

I am using CodeBlocks and I just changed the color of the #IFDEF's things, as I am coding for SOD there as a lot of these conditions in Wolf4SDL and most of the code was not readable.
ReddimusVonAggrevatii
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 6
bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Tricob wrote:
I think that would necessitate the debugger do more rather than less. Typos are a *very* major problem whenever I code, so looking up something on the Internet simply won't help me solve my problem.

There's a red rectangle, that indicates what's wrong, be it an old or new compiler that you're using.
I don't think the internet is needed to help you find typos.

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Tricob wrote:
Here's the thing - Dev C++ does *not* require you to use a Google Search at all; it just tells you what the problem is. So you're saying I should go and run through Google every single time I have an error? Dev C++ and other compiler managers don't require that, so why should Code Blocks? You ask far too little from your programs. If you spend less time stopping and going for a search every time there's an error, you'll see that there's a lot less time spent debugging as a whole. You'll get an amazing amount of work done every time you program ... even if it's in a short time frame.

If Code::Blocks isn't giving you exactly the same error messages as another IDE it's because you haven't set it up properly - and by that I mean you must have fiddled with something that stops it working, because by default it will provide the same messages from the compiler as any other IDE, and indeed does in my experience with it, both with the pre-packaged compiler and when using a newer one like I do.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
If Code::Blocks isn't giving you exactly the same error messages as another IDE it's because you haven't set it up properly - and by that I mean you must have fiddled with something that stops it working, because by default it will provide the same messages from the compiler as any other IDE, and indeed does in my experience with it, both with the pre-packaged compiler and when using a newer one like I do.

I know that 3.something versions of MinGW warn about screenBits = -1 and 4.something ones warn about a few anonymous enums instead, which threw me off at first when I first used 4.something in Code::Blocks, and didn't realize it was because of MinGW until I started swapping MinGW versions around. Think maybe newer 5.something+ versions of MinGW don't have that warning and warn about something else instead. I wonder if that's what Tricob is talking about. Very Happy
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:05 pm

I know the version I use (the newest version of MinGW-W64) warns about both screenBits and the anonymous enums, but that's much newer than the version that comes packaged with Codeblocks IIRC (it's also TDM-GCC, but that shouldn't change much).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:36 am

Chris wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

I know that 3.something versions of MinGW warn about screenBits = -1 and 4.something ones warn about a few anonymous enums instead, which threw me off at first when I first used 4.something in Code::Blocks, and didn't realize it was because of MinGW until I started swapping MinGW versions around. Think maybe newer 5.something+ versions of MinGW don't have that warning and warn about something else instead. I wonder if that's what Tricob is talking about. Very Happy
That sounds about right. Smile

Yes, that's my major beef with Code Blocks. The other is very simple, commonly-used things being buried in countless sub-menus, and pretty much every menu in the program is labelled something extremely vague, or the title is misleading, or a combination of both. You can see the exact menu you need to get to, but then you go right past it because its description seems to imply one set of options when it's really another. You shouldn't have to embark on a guessing game ever single time you want to change something. I know you can eventually learn where everything is laid out if you use it long enough, but then the program gets updated, and you're left in the dark again. It's not too much to ask that the menus and their labels have something that doesn't constantly steer you in the wrong direction.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Before two days ago, I had been using the version of Code::Blocks released in late 2013, and the last version of MinGW, which also was released in 2013. I just upgraded to the latest versions of Code::Blocks and MinGW-w64.

Now I can compile 64-bit code. I wrote a test program that displayed the size of a pointer, to verify that it actually was compiled in 64-bit.

From now on I will always make programs 64-bit, except when 32-bit is technically necessary.

With Wolf4SDL, I will make it 64-bit, but OpenGlide has to be 32-bit. Of course Glide-era games aren't available in 64-bit.

I've successfully compiled my modified version of OpenGlide with MinGW-64. The only change I had to make was adding "MIN" and "MAX" macros. Unlike MinGW, MinGW-w64 does not have "min" and "max" functions built in.

I can tell that MinGW-w64 is vastly superior to "MinGW". Compiling OpenGlide took around 20 seconds with MinGW. With MinGW-w64, it only takes about 5 seconds.

Tricob wrote:
Quote:

You can't rely on a debugger with complex code.

Ever notice how many old applications have problems on newer versions of Windows? That is because they have bugs that went undetected, because they didn't cause problems on older versions of Windows.

I never use debuggers.

If there is a problem that I am having difficulty fixing, I create a separate version of the program to experiment with it.

Tricob wrote:
Chris wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

That sounds about right. Smile

Yes, that's my major beef with Code Blocks. The other is very simple, commonly-used things being buried in countless sub-menus, and pretty much every menu in the program is labelled something extremely vague, or the title is misleading, or a combination of both. You can see the exact menu you need to get to, but then you go right past it because its description seems to imply one set of options when it's really another. You shouldn't have to embark on a guessing game ever single time you want to change something. I know you can eventually learn where everything is laid out if you use it long enough, but then the program gets updated, and you're left in the dark again. It's not too much to ask that the menus and their labels have something that doesn't constantly steer you in the wrong direction.

When I started using Code::Blocks, I had a lot of trouble getting it to work. Today, I don't have any trouble with it.

I haven't noticed any changes in the menus after upgrading, and the version I had previously was from 5 years ago.

Last edited by Matthew on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 am

I would recommend not making Wolf4SDL a 64-bit EXE; there's no benefit to doing it, and as a result all it accomplishes is to effectively exclude anyone on a 32-bit system (still quite a few people) from running it.

EDIT: I'd just also like to say that normally the debugger in MinGW-W64 (GDB) generally works well for issues where something isn't clobbering the stack (writing with a pointer with an invalid value might cause that, for instance). You can also often use the "watch" functionality to get some idea of what's going wrong, even in situations where GDB finds itself unable to provide a stack trace.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:56 am

Making Wolf4SDL 64-bit would allow it to do native 64-bit math.

I suppose 32-bit is probably enough. Note that I have added performance intensive features. I am planning to make improvements that will vastly improve performance.

Can debuggers be used with DLL files that are used by third-party applications? That would be necessary to use them to debug a Glide emulator.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Matthew wrote:
If there is a problem that I am having difficulty fixing, I create a separate version of the program to experiment with it.
This goes back to what I posted earlier; you expect too little from your programs. If every compiler you've used before does everything you need it to do, why should you suddenly be satisfied with one that doesn't?
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Matthew wrote:
Can debuggers be used with DLL files that are used by third-party applications? That would be necessary to use them to debug a Glide emulator.

If the crash occurs within code the DLL provides, it won't work (if the DLL was compiled with debug symbols it should provide the file and line number with the error, but if you don't have the source of the DLL itself, it won't help much).
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Matthew wrote:

If the crash occurs within code the DLL provides, it won't work (if the DLL was compiled with debug symbols it should provide the file and line number with the error, but if you don't have the source of the DLL itself, it won't help much).

I'm talking about a DLL that you compile and use with a third-party application. That is how Glide wrappers work.

You have the source code for the DLL, but not the third-party application.

Tricob wrote:
Matthew wrote:
This goes back to what I posted earlier; you expect too little from your programs. If every compiler you've used before does everything you need it to do, why should you suddenly be satisfied with one that doesn't?

How should I expect a debugger to be able to find and fix problems with something as complex as a modern OpenGL or Vulkan application?

I have been working on my version of OpenGlide for nearly 7 years. It has had many, many bugs that I have had to fix. Some of those bugs were already there; they exist in the official version of OpenGlide.

The official version of OpenGlide doesn't even work with vertex arrays. If vertex arrays are enabled, it crashes, because the code for vertex arrays is incorrect.

If an OpenGL or Vulkan application has issues, there often won't even be any visible problems. It may run slower, have occasional graphics glitches, or crash on rare occasions.

Also, Code::Blocks does support debuggers.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Matthew wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I'm talking about a DLL that you compile and use with a third-party application. That is how Glide wrappers work.

You have the source code for the DLL, but not the third-party application.

Ah, right; I don't think it'll work through the IDE, but you might be able to use GDB from the command line to do it (assuming the crash occurs within the DLL code and not in the game as a result of it).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Matthew wrote:

Tricob wrote:
Matthew wrote:

How should I expect a debugger to be able to find and fix problems with something as complex as a modern OpenGL or Vulkan application?
Ah, you're talking about an alternate version of the code of your project, *not* the compiler we've been discussing. Okay. Smile
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Colour-wise, I've never been able to figure out if it's possible to change the colours of the IDE itself rather than just the text editor; IMO there's no point in adding a nice dark theme to the editor when all of the surrounding UI is the same bright colour it is otherwise.

The new version I upgraded to allows many more of the colors to be set.

On the Code::Blocks forums, one of the Code::Blocks developers said that some of the colors are set by wxWidgets, and can't be set by Code::Blocks.

All of the others can be set.

Also, if you're using Windows 10, make sure that the default App mode is set to "dark". This doesn't seem to make a difference with Code::Blocks, but it does with some other applications, such as Firefox.

Last edited by Matthew on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 am

I'm using the newest stable version; I know it's possible to change pretty much every aspect of the text windows and a few other things.

I'm also not using Windows 10, partially because I'm really not fond of the changes made between 7 and 10, but mostly because I can't even get it to install or boot, I suspect because my motherboard has something slightly wrong it that breaks it but not 7. xD
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 am

I have been using Windows 10 since a few days after it was released. I wouldn't go back to using earlier versions of Windows.

Although the UI is not as fancy as with Windows 7, it still can look good if it is configured well.

There are good reasons why the changes were made.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurGraphicsWillSuckInTheFuture

This "rainbow" color scheme I've created for Code::Blocks looks super cool.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:28 pm

I don't mind 10's UI; the issues I have are more with usability stuff - the control panel and Settings app being separate, and the Control Panel being kind of hidden, the file association system not working properly if any slightly old program tries to change them itself, having to run third-party applications to turn off telemetry, allowing the user extremely limited control over the update system, to the point that it will sometimes just straight up restart the computer when it's still being actively used, and a number of other smaller issues that make it enough of a pain to work with (to the point that when I'm eventually forced to use 10 because of a hardware upgrade, I may end up using it purely for games and dual-booting some flavour of Linux for everything else).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 am

OT -
AlumiuN wrote:
I don't mind 10's UI; the issues I have are more with usability stuff - the control panel and Settings app being separate, and the Control Panel being kind of hidden, the file association system not working properly if any slightly old program tries to change them itself, having to run third-party applications to turn off telemetry, allowing the user extremely limited control over the update system, to the point that it will sometimes just straight up restart the computer when it's still being actively used, and a number of other smaller issues that make it enough of a pain to work with (to the point that when I'm eventually forced to use 10 because of a hardware upgrade, I may end up using it purely for games and dual-booting some flavour of Linux for everything else).

These are the major problems I have with 10. The other two are accidentally changing the file manager settings when no OS older than 8 did so, and the fact that the OS keeps giving bad data to the sound driver. I end up having to put together sound effects on a different computer because I can't get the OS to leave the audio alone. All the hardware is less than a year old, so you can't blame its age.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 pm

With Windows 10's update system, you can configure when it does updates by settings "active hours".

With Windows 10's latest feature update, Microsoft has been far more cautious about pushing it. Because of problems that some users were having, they stopped the rollout for many months. I have been wanting to install it since late last year, but haven't until now, because it hadn't been offered, even when I clicked "Check for updates".

I now finally have installed it. It has major improvements to the GUI. Among other things, Windows Explorer now supports dark mode.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 pm

The Windows 10 GUI was always vastly superior to Windows 8.1; I've used both. But that doesn't make the GUI of Windows 10 good to me. It still has quite a long way to go.

And whether or not the GUI is good, the sound issues are inexcusable.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:03 pm

I have been using Slacko Puppy Linux since around 2013 when I successfully ditched Windows.

It's great, just type "make" and it builds your Wolf4SDL automatically from source, no waiting for a fat IDE to open. Very Happy

::: CODE :::
# make
===> DEP wl_text.cpp
===> DEP wl_state.cpp
===> DEP wl_play.cpp
===> DEP wl_menu.cpp
===> DEP wl_main.cpp
===> DEP wl_inter.cpp
===> DEP wl_game.cpp
===> DEP wl_draw.cpp
===> DEP wl_agent.cpp
===> DEP wl_act2.cpp
===> DEP wl_act1.cpp
===> DEP signon.cpp
===> DEP id_vl.cpp
===> DEP id_vh.cpp
===> DEP id_us_1.cpp
===> DEP id_sd.cpp
===> DEP id_pm.cpp
===> DEP id_in.cpp
===> DEP id_ca.cpp
===> CXX id_ca.cpp
===> CXX id_in.cpp
===> CXX id_pm.cpp
===> CXX id_sd.cpp
===> CXX id_us_1.cpp
===> CXX id_vh.cpp
===> CXX id_vl.cpp
===> CXX signon.cpp
===> CXX wl_act1.cpp
===> CXX wl_act2.cpp
===> CXX wl_agent.cpp
===> CXX wl_draw.cpp
===> CXX wl_game.cpp
===> CXX wl_inter.cpp
===> CXX wl_main.cpp
===> CXX wl_menu.cpp
===> CXX wl_play.cpp
===> CXX wl_state.cpp
===> CXX wl_text.cpp
===> LD wolf3d
# strip wolf3d
# ls wolf3d -l
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 239288 Mar 30 15:58 wolf3d
# wolf3d --windowed

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tried the newest version and its most popular one. The popular version doesn't work right with many websites, and the GUI of the newest one seems *very* counterintuitive to me. It's possible that a version in-between has a comfortable medium.

I might give the in-between versions a try when when I'm at a stopping point with things. But I'm currently getting back to my novel and several 8-bit projects. One includes making a "key repeat" routine for the TRS-80 Model 1, 2, 3, and 4 home computers. It already works with the Tandy Color Computer, which had no actual key repeat feature like the IBM PC and Apple II.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: