DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein 3D wiki
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 22
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:48 am
   Subject: Wolfenstein 3D wiki
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I disliked how Wolfenstein 3D and derivative games don't really have a good, dedicated wiki of their own, so I created one.

https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D_Wiki

I envision this project to be somewhat focused on the Wolfer community, modders and their mods, etc., but don't get me wrong, technical details and information about the original games definitely have a place on this wiki. And you, dear reader, are encouraged to help us with this task.

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 5

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:50 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein 3D wiki
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Finally, something good happens after the new site (thanks to Zombie_Plan), one of the things the wolf3d moding scene really needed! Nice job! Thumbs Up
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 am

We did have such a database several years back. Somewhere along the line, *all* the information was wiped out, and everyone had to restart from the ground up. It had been building up for several years before that happened, and most people didn't want to give it a second try. I haven't visited the site in several years, so I don't even know what its status is.
dunkelschwamm
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:22 am

I'm doing all I can to load this wiki with information and good pages to link to and reference.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 am

Great initiative!
Joshua
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 239

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 pm

I have a page on the wiki. Thanks for mentioning me as jpb1992 and not jpb1991. Please keep it that way.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 110
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Joshua wrote:
I have a page on the wiki. Thanks for mentioning me as jpb1992 and not jpb1991. Please keep it that way.

And put incorrect information on the encyclopedia website? Neutral

DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 am

If both are your former monikers then I have no choice but to list both, in an effort to make the documentation as complete as possible. The appropriate edit has been made. Withholding crucial personal information is punishable by law. One of these sentences is false. Thank you for your cooperation.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 am

I never have been known as jpb1992 actually.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 5

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

Then why you want to get mentioned as jpb1992 and not jpb1991?
Joshua
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 am

I updated my page with Z Reader information

Topics: 2
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 pm

As an experienced wiki maintainer, I am quite impressed by how quickly you have been putting this together while keeping it well organized.

Last Played: Spear Resurrection, DHW Lost Episodes, Kurlandfront
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:55 pm

@Technopeasant: thank you.

And now for a small update: we're up to 670 pages and growing. I hope this bit of trivia is going to convince more people that this project is worth contributing to. My current goal is to have something about every Wolf mod and modder in existence, and by godfrey, we're gonna do it.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:26 am

Really appreciating the work you guys are putting into this! Beer
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:27 am

If you have any information about a mod you have made or what made you want to make that specific mod, don't hesitate to send me a private message. I would love to hear more than what we know; speaking for myself, all my knowledge comes from the Dome news archive and what I remember Andy wrote with me about.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 122
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Regarding TR mods - I think I was quite open about my reasons for those (and TR forum is a good reference for me about things I might have forgot since, despite the old TR forum taken down by host), sure not every "behind the scene" detail was told, but I don't know what might be actually interesting.
I can always answer questions regarding TR mods, if anyone to be interested in such a thing/interview.

Last edited by doomjedi on Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:42 pm

What would be most interesting would be early stages of development, alternate graphics/sounds/music/maps... Working titles, funny coincidences and even controversies.

The thing I am most afraid adding Wiki articles is stepping on people's toes, if there is something they would rather not have out in the open.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:15 am

If you kept the trivia to things that have a public source even if it is obscure?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 122
israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 am

Thomas wrote:
What would be most interesting would be early stages of development, alternate graphics/sounds/music/maps... Working titles, funny coincidences and even controversies.

Regarding scrapped/alternate art - beside Sonder (for obvious reasons), I've released all art from released and even scrapped projects in my artpacks, the most complete of them is my "Spriter's Journey" artpack, so that area is sure covered in the most detailed way.

Working titles - yes, there is alot I can PM you about titles proposed for some of TR mods, each mod AFAIR had a mod's name discussion thread on TR forum, can quote from there. Might be too long of a list for you Smile
Not exactly "working titles" by definition, just proposals.

Controvercies - Sonder controvercy was told by me on so many public forums and media - this one, moddb comments and posts, and others, even on my youtube channel. If there are more questions - can answer.
The less public controvercy was within the team (I guess it was lost with the old TR forum) - if to release Sonder or not. I was trying to explain why I can't (those reasons were also posted publicly on forums and are well known, even if not justified or understood by some others), and team guys at first couldn't understand why (like most guys said on all the forums - there is no bad publicity. Press coverage - so what? We didn't mean nothing bad, offending and harmful). We also added disclaimer screen to Sonder (all team agreed) at a time where team still hoped to release Sonder (it can still be found on google image search).
With the new disclaimer - the team was okay to release that mod, it was my vetto that prevented the release, I guess there were some bad feelings among the team on that matter - work on 4 years brutto, overly promoted, just weeks before release. Fully understand and justify such, felt very guilty myself, but just couldn't release...just couldn't.

That's why I made alot of work to release Origins mod to the public, working on this basically alone with little to no support, needing to find creative art solution and remake tons of art and animations.
There were disagreements within the team if to make such a "safe version", or just let Sonder "die" (with hope to release it at some later time when I - by hope of other team members - will calm down or feel safe to do so)
Despite team scepticism, I've made Origins release, and team admitted afterwards that the result (though not on par with Sonder) is good and it was good idea for me to make such.

Each mod had some development controvercies, not all I remember.
The biggest one in my memory (beside Sonder) - was about No Man's Land ATM machines.
Me and LinuxWolf - versus Ronwolf. Noone wanted to step down on the matter.
Me and LinuxWolf wanted for ATM machines to be interactive. So Batman can safely "deposit" there coins he finds - so hobos can't "steal" those from him. And when he needed the coins again - he can grab them from nearest ATM machine.
We thought it adds more interactivity and tactics.
But the matter was - most of the maps were already made by that time. Ron felt that current maps won't support such major late change mapping-wise (with obviously no will do redo the maps), he thought the idea should have come at earlier time - so maps could have been made with that in mind. Valid point btw.
You all know the outcome - that we had to step down on that matter.

Hard to remember each controvercy. Sure feature-wise, after first mods took too long to make trying to have every feature we come up with - in later mods the number of coding features proposed and yet scrapped during development is...not small. Hard to remember them all, and too many old threads to go over. Usually we try to get in at least the more important features for each member, with special priority to mappers feature requests directly related to mapping...those almost always are getting included.
Team is usually flexible, democratic, and tries not to release mods if even one member is not fine with that mod in its current form/state.
Solutions and compromises and found pretty fast usually and without much issues - either by democratic vote - or by team members stepping down on preferences less critical for them.
That's why ATM issue was so...big - each side couldn't feel okay with the mod released without ATM of their preference. So it stands out in my memory - for how rare and unusual that controvercy was within the team.

Documentary-wise - Sonder/Origins had alot of scrapped maps and earlier versions of the maps, as it was adding features on the fly - that required mapping redoing. And I made some maps as well that got scrapped. Some of those were remade and added to later Origins Xmas addon, but some are....lost on our hard drives, unless Ron/Dean will feel okay to release those publicly.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:57 am

Zombie_Plan wrote:
If you kept the trivia to things that have a public source even if it is obscure?

As this is a relatively small community, I did not know that sources were that important. Some of my knowledge can be documented, as most of what I know I know because of my endless trawling of the Dome archives. That, and an OK memory on what has happened on various forums from 2004 onward when I first joined in.

Andy taught me an awful lot, but that was word of mouth. I still believe, as he was (and is, hopefully) the original Wolfenstein 3D archivist his person is credibility enough.

If you refer to the endless babble on my own projects and projects I contributed to, feel free to write me and explain exactly what should be kept and what should not be kept. I just want to jot down as much as possible before it slips away.

I really enjoy contributing to the Wiki but I have been told very little on how to do things correctly over there.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:19 am

Thomas wrote:
I really enjoy contributing to the Wiki but I have been told very little on how to do things correctly over there.

That's because we don't really have many specific guidelines and strict standards to follow when it comes to the community and mods. This is by design. What I want is not exactly an encyclopedia, but a place that's both fun (for the reader and for the editor) and informative. As the founder, I appreciate and enjoy the fact that every wiki user can bring his/her personal flair into the articles, focusing on different areas and aspects of the modding scene.

Concerning personal ramblings specifically (about your own mods at least), I don't want to exclude them because they're somewhat relevant and interesting in a small community where pretty much everyone knows everyone else. Still, I realize this approach can blur the division between wiki and blog, so I'm open to discussion in this regard. If anyone has counterarguments or proposals, please post them here or address me directly on the WolfSource Discord (where the wiki has its own channel).

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 am

serpens wrote:
Thomas wrote:

That's because we don't really have many specific guidelines and strict standards to follow when it comes to the community and mods. This is by design. What I want is not exactly an encyclopedia, but a place that's both fun (for the reader and for the editor) and informative. As the founder, I appreciate and enjoy the fact that every wiki user can bring his/her personal flair into the articles, focusing on different areas and aspects of the modding scene.

Concerning personal ramblings specifically (about your own mods at least), I don't want to exclude them because they're somewhat relevant and interesting in a small community where pretty much everyone knows everyone else. Still, I realize this approach can blur the division between wiki and blog, so I'm open to discussion in this regard. If anyone has counterarguments or proposals, please post them here or address me directly on the WolfSource Discord (where the wiki has its own channel).

Thanks for your quick reply. I suppose I can weed it out if needed. And I felt really goofy writing about myself in the third person.

Mods being finite releases is one thing, and perhaps some personal or communal disputes, ideas, etc. would fit in more in the articles about the DHW, the Dome and so on (I don't think they have been created yet)... Separating the mod and the story/person behind it.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 am

Thomas wrote:
Zombie_Plan wrote:

As this is a relatively small community, I did not know that sources were that important. Some of my knowledge can be documented, as most of what I know I know because of my endless trawling of the Dome archives. That, and an OK memory on what has happened on various forums from 2004 onward when I first joined in.

Andy taught me an awful lot, but that was word of mouth. I still believe, as he was (and is, hopefully) the original Wolfenstein 3D archivist his person is credibility enough.

If you refer to the endless babble on my own projects and projects I contributed to, feel free to write me and explain exactly what should be kept and what should not be kept. I just want to jot down as much as possible before it slips away.

I didn't mean to sound like an authority on anything, merely putting forward a suggestion if ever you're met with the question of, "Is the information I'm posting intended to be private?" Since if it's publicly posted it's probably safe to write.

As it stands, I typed 6 characters into the Wiki. I guess I'm a contributor now Very Happy

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:35 pm

When will my page on the Wolfenstein wiki be unlocked again? I did not understand the Dave reference at first. Now I do. It can stay on my page. I will not remove it.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:24 pm

I've looked over my page, and I can see a lot of information I can fill in. I plan to do so when I have a larger chunk of time on my hands.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:11 am

I have decided to go somewhat outside the usual wiki boundaries and allow people to post their development retrospectives. That is, everyone is encouraged to seek out the wiki page of their mod(s), preferably add a separate section called "author's editorial" or whatever you please, and post some interesting details and other reminiscences about the development of mods you made or helped make. And if these mods still don't have a page, of course feel free to add it!

While this may at first sound like something from the realm of blogs, my reasoning is that we're a small community where a lot of stuff goes undocumented. While your reminiscences probably cannot be backed up by links or other citations, they are still valuable as many of us care about all these facts and details that together merge into the unknown history of Wolfenstein modding. Please, go ahead and share.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Having read some of Thomas' editorial, it's been REALLY interesting learning lots of cool stuff about projects.

I'd love to see more!

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I've posted quite a bit of info on my abandoned Munchkins mod. Having written most of a novel myself, it's easier for me to see when something is much more interesting to talk about than actually experience. There's a lot of "dead" moments in the development cycle of modding that can make it less enjoyable as a whole. But if you trim off all the fat, it can come off as a solid, exciting experience to everyone.
Biergut
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:23 am

I was looking through a few old CD-ROMS yesterday and came across the Beta versions of FloEdit. I noticed that the wiki has no section on editors. Anyway, I didn't want to start a new topic on this and I know there's collectors that might want them. There's even a picture of Flo in there. Here's a download link:
www.mediafire.com/file/kct3pz14igx8wgb/Floedit+Beta+versions+and+Demos.zip
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Biergut wrote:
I was looking through a few old CD-ROMS yesterday and came across the Beta versions of FloEdit. I noticed that the wiki has no section on editors. Anyway, I didn't want to start a new topic on this and I know there's collectors that might want them. There's even a picture of Flo in there. Here's a download link:
www.mediafire.com/file/kct3pz14igx8wgb/Floedit+Beta+versions+and+Demos.zip

Neat!

I have a page for FloEdit on WolfSource, so I hope you don't mind if I put these up on the website as well. There's a lot in there to check out, I like that there are random .txt files of emails and some of Flo's mods.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: