DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

nVidia 3D Vision discontinued
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 103

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 pm
   Subject: nVidia 3D Vision discontinued
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

nVidia announced a few months ago that their stereoscopic viewing system, nVidia 3D Vision, is being discontinued.

nVidia's Game Ready drivers no longer support it. The last driver branch that supports it is Release 418. They have said that they will continue to address critical driver issues with the Release 418 branch through February 2020.

Many people are viewing this as further proof that 3D is dead. But nVidia has said that they are doing this because the market favors VR headsets.

Here's what people don't realize: VR IS 3D. VR headsets are another form of stereoscopic viewing technology.

3D isn't dead at all. It just has evolved to a new technology, which is potentially vastly superior.

Two years ago, I rode the roller coaster Iron Dragon at Cedar Point. At that time, Cedar Point was, for a limited period of time during the day, allowing riders to ride it with VR headsets. The headsets track rotation, and displayed a virtual world, where the camera moved along with the roller coaster's movements. (It used the Samsung Gear VR. Unlike the Oculus Rift, the Samsung Gear VR only tracks rotation, not lateral movement. But the camera moved along with the roller coaster.)

It created the sensation of traveling through a virtual world, that was completely around you. It had a dark bluish atmosphere. You were on a wagon. At one point, the wagon fell off a cliff, and a dragon grabbed it and flew you around.

Since the VR headset tracks all rotation, you could see the world completely around you, and look in any direction. At the start of the ride, I tried turning around 180°, and saw that there was a barrel behind me.

The resolution was very low. Although the Gear VR has 1080x1080 resolution, because the field of view is far higher than an ordinary display, it felt like 480x480 on a typical computer monitor.

Future VR headsets will have far higher resolution.

I've been using nVidia 3D Vision 2 for nearly 5 years. I got it, and the ASUS VG278HE monitor, in August 2014. Before that, I used a 22" Zalman Trimon monitor, which I got in late 2009.

Everyone talks about 3D as if it is a fad. But for me, it is an important technology that I have used since I was a kid.

I added stereoscopic rendering support to my modified version of Wolf4SDL many years ago. To enable it with nVidia 3D Vision (or any system that supports OpenGL quad buffering), add "--stereomode 1". To set screen shift, do "--stereoscreenshift x". Default is 64; 96 is probably better on most computer monitors.

Anyone else used nVidia 3D Vision? I don't know how many people have used it, but many people that have used it have said that after using it, it is difficult to go back to non-stereoscopic gaming. (People are so used to viewing content without 3D that they don't realize how big a difference it makes. Also, most people have only seen 3D movies, which have been terribly done, for the most part.)

Last edited by Matthew on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
AstroCreep
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 41
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 pm
   Subject: Re: nVidia 3D Vision discontinued
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Huh. Must be a long time since I’ve been to cedar point. Don’t remember the vr thing.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 103

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:33 am
   Subject: nVidia 3D Vision discontinued
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

AstroCreep wrote:
Huh. Must be a long time since I’ve been to cedar point. Don’t remember the vr thing.

They had it in 2016, 2017, and 2018. It was only available after 6:00 PM, and only on days that the park was open until 10:00 PM or later. I don't think that they have it anymore.

The wait was very long, because they could only run it with one train when they ran it with the VR headsets.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: