DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[LZWolf] Coming of the Storm - LZWolf Port (by Orka)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
AstroCreep
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 41
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 am
   Subject: [LZWolf] Coming of the Storm - LZWolf Port (by Orka)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

hello once again fellow Wolfensteiners, today I bring you what is probably one of the best DOS to LZWolf ports - an (almost) 1:1 port of WSJ’s classic mod Coming of the Storm, ported by the one and only Orka! For the very first time, experience this legendary mod outside of DOSBOX!

Quote:
One of the greatest Wolfenstein 3D mods "Coming of the Storm" is now available for the LZWolf sourceport!

Hey there. For weeks I've been working on an LZWolf port of the good old classic Wolfenstein 3D mod "Coming of the Storm" (made by Wolf Skevos-Jones). And I've done it! It's finally playable in LZWolf. I don't know what to say about this, because I assume many of you know about this DOS mod... but if you don't then I would like you to read this wiki page:

https://wl6.fandom.com/wiki/Coming_of_the_Storm

This port has all the features that the original mod had and should work as intended. I've already posted screenshots on the ModDB page but I'll share some here as well.

Click this link for more info and for the download!

This one requires the latest LZWolf build and the full version of Wolfenstein 3D.

Have fun! Smile
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 5

india.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am
   Subject: Re: [LZWolf] Coming of the Storm - LZWolf Port (by Orka)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

started playing. looks good.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 122
israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 am

I'm not sure I've ever played this, looks like a good mod. Interesting ideas, cool snipers, good weapon balancing.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 8

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:11 pm

doomjedi wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever played this, looks like a good mod. Interesting ideas, cool snipers, good weapon balancing.

Have you heard about this game called Wolfenstein 3D? I heard it's pretty good.

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:46 am

I'm not sure what exactly is the target of the pun, but I don't see any issue, as a person who joined the community in 2006 (not being Wolf3D fan before) - not to yet play a mod released in 2004, though considered a classic, and especially as in recent years I don't tend to play dos mods at all (beside Keen mods).

I did play since alot of the Wolf3D modding classics to "catch up" (yes, many DOS ones too), and don't feel obligated to play every mod ever released for Wolf3D.

This edition, being non-DOS one - is good opportunity for me to play the mod now and enjoy it, especially taking into account how many years ago it was released.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 22
poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 am

doomjedi wrote:
I'm not sure what exactly is the target of the pun, but I don't see any issue, as a person who joined the community in 2006 (not being Wolf3D fan before) - not to yet play a mod released in 2004, though considered a classic, and especially as in recent years I don't tend to play dos mods at all (beside Keen mods).

I did play since alot of the Wolf3D modding classics to "catch up" (yes, many DOS ones too), and don't feel obligated to play every mod ever released for Wolf3D.

This edition, being non-DOS one - is good opportunity for me to play the mod now and enjoy it, especially taking into account how many years ago it was released.

Setting aside the fact that many of us joined later than that and still were able to familiarize ourselves with the classic mods, as per standard newcomer routine, I still find it peculiar that you hired WSJ (a while ago) as your main coder without having played his most prominent mods.

Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

norway.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:14 am

I haven't played it either, and I 'joined' (or whatever) in 1999. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:52 am

I've played enough WSJ mods to get my impression of him.

And again, I did play many classic mods released long before I joined.
I just don't feel obligation to play all of the mods, or feel bad or being made fun of - just for not playing a particular mod.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 am

You know this mod is one of the most famous, remember I suddenly found this on the internet on a random site (it's farely easy to find especially on youtube if you watch videos about Wolf3D mods), this was waaaay before I joined here, but first I ignored it, but years after seeing how famous and well praised this mod is I did give it a go and thank God I did or else I'd had miss a lot. Question is how did you miss it or why you never felt the need to play it after joining here, and why you grab it once it was ported to LZWolf (but at least you catch up)?

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am

Well, I've heard the name, sure (along with Chemical Warfare and some others).
I sure follow lists of best wolf3d mods over the years.

By that time I think we got spoiled by SDL mods, and I stopped playing dos mods (again, only play Keen mods on dosbox, as there are no SDL ones).
Not big dosbox user nowdays.

I grabbed the new version for obvious reasons, after it was ported. Wasn't that the point of the port? Known name, positive description and LZWolf.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 111
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:54 am

doomjedi wrote:
Well, I've heard the name, sure (along with Chemical Warfare and some others).
I sure follow lists of best wolf3d mods over the years.

By that time I think we got spoiled by SDL mods, and I stopped playing dos mods (again, only play Keen mods on dosbox, as there are no SDL ones).

I grabbed the new version for obvious reasons, after it was ported. Wasn't that the point of the port? Known name, positive description and LZWolf.

True enough, and if this is what allows you to experience it, that's awesome!

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes Smile

As other old mods, rockets Bosses are...a bit dangerless, at least the first one. Love the idea of multiple Bosses in a level.
Ambient sounds are cool, very nice texture selection. Love that there is usually quite alot of space to move and wide corridors, love this in mods...and life.
Nice traps, good enemy placing.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Quote:

Sure thing, let's just use DosBox for Keen mods, but for old Wolf3D mods... Fine. Smile

Imagine if no one'd have ported this to LZWolf, you might have missed a great title because you need to use dosbox in order to play the original, unless if its titled as a Keen mod.

DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Wolf3DGuy wrote:
Quote:

Sure thing, let's just use DosBox for Keen mods, but for old Wolf3D mods... Fine. Smile

Imagine if no one'd have ported this to LZWolf, you might have missed a great title because you need to use dosbox in order to play the original, unless if its titled as a Keen mod.

That happens though. Some people will never experience a story unless a book is turned into a movie, or never enjoy the taste of pineapple unless it is sliced on a pizza ^^

Edit: a word

Last edited by Zombie_Plan on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:08 pm

To be fair, we experienced similar things back in the DOS days. Once things like DOS4GW came around, many of us couldn't be bothered to deal with a game if the program hassled us with Conventional Memory requirements, and those that required a large amount of it seemed antiquated when we compared them to Doom and other titles.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm

While there's no obligation to play anything and various better or worse reasons to miss out on a mod, I believe that if one is really serious about this Wolf 3D modding thing, there is a core of classic and influential mods they should be familiar with at least to a decent degree. It's just like a budding amateur astronomer should know basic facts about celestial bodies in the Solar System, or a football enthusiast ought to know who Zidane and Ronaldo are. These mods are worthy of attention not just as games of high merit, but also as phenomena that shaped and to some extent continue to shape the community, its tastes and direction in modding.

As an aside, I don't really understand why so many people are reluctant about DOSBox. All I have to do is to install it and change a couple parameters in the config file, and that's it, pretty much everything Wolfenstein related runs clean and smooth. It's been like that on every computer I've had for years, including laptops. A couple minutes of effort is enough to be able to play every DOS mod you please without having to wait, potentially indefinitely, for an SDL or ECWolf port... Feels good, man.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 am

I don't say dosbox is useless (and have it even on my handheld, along with selection of DOS games, and on retropie as well), it's a gem that allows us to play classic DOS games, and I do use it from time to time (to play Lotus III for instance).
It's a very important emulator to exist.
This is the way I played alot of old Wolf3D mods at the time, for no other option.

Still, it's less comfortable that...SDL or ECWolf. Some games need max cycles, some - auto cycles, it has tons of settings.
Maybe I'm using it wrong, donnow. Still, for me it's going first into emulator, than browse for a particular game (I use dosbox cvs)...and it even doesn't remember last folder played. Browsing for mods without directly clicking on a particular mod.
UI-wise it falls behind many modern emulators for other old systems (like picodrive, snes9x and such).

Again, I played alot of old dos wolf3d mods and classic (yesterday even considered posting my old wolf3d playing folders, they are still there), including probably all of the rest of WSJ mods. You seem to take this too far in the direction of me not...catching up at all of what was released before I joined.

DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:35 am

dosbox with wolf3d is always pain for me. it runs very slow with any dos wolf mod whether i change options or not inside box. so i tested many dos based wolf games by putting them into ecwolf. 90% played well and some broke. i was testing dosbox ece ( a different make ) of dosbox and it running good with old dos games (not wolf3d) . didn't know there is dosbox svn builds in sourceforge. tested latest build now on dos games and it is good. not interested to play wolf dos games though. after experiencing ecwolf and sdl based mods i hate to test old dos wolf mods.

right now on 6th level in this "coming of storm" mod. difficulty and my interest increasing level by level. cheating is available by default in ecwolf or lzwolf emulator. but i am not cheating game because it deserves to play as it is.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm

I guess I'm not more into DOS Wolf3D mods these days because of the 8-character filename limit. When you have enough of these mods placed in different folders, it's much harder to tell what mods are what, as you can't include many types of symbols that DOS will work with. It's especially bad with newer DOS mods, because there's no special markings on which folders are new, so it becomes a whole lot harder to weed out which folder hasn't been there before.
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 pm

in level 9 , after entering the first locked door a push-wall behind a mutant was given access on the wrong side. i had to use "no clipping" cheat and go inside to find that access was given from inside. similar coding errors there in same level which won't give access to another pushwall from outside. there is a 1-up inside that wall.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:39 pm

Zombie_Plan wrote:
or never know the taste of pineapple unless it is sliced on a pizza ^^

Considering how many things have pineapples, and how you can eat pineapples sliced, in fruit salad, in drinks, etc. I find it quite odd that someone would only have ever tried pineapples on pizza, of all things. What kind of madness is going on in this post, really? Sarcastic
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:07 am

Chris wrote:
Zombie_Plan wrote:

Considering how many things have pineapples, and how you can eat pineapples sliced, in fruit salad, in drinks, etc. I find it quite odd that someone would only have ever tried pineapples on pizza, of all things. What kind of madness is going on in this post, really? Sarcastic

I think it's a veiled critique of pineapples, meaning they're so horrible that one can only conceivably be tricked into eating them if you sneak them into an otherwise perfectly edible pizza.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:14 am

Chris wrote:
Zombie_Plan wrote:

"Know" was the wrong word, you're right. Correcting my post now. It was intended to be "enjoy", as while I don't like pineapple generally I find it more tolerable cooked. So if I were ever to be someone eating pineapple, I'm probably doing it because it's on pizza.

DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:09 pm

From level 14 game become too hard that i gave up the game and deleted folder. But again started playing by some cheating. i put god mode and no clipping to find keys first and then restarted level without cheat. Those ghosts are too annoying from 14th stage. But environment is so beautiful that i wanted to continue.
linuxwolf
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 8

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:03 pm

This mod is an outstanding example of how to mod Wolfenstein 3D into something more atmospheric. I am also in the process of playing it, for the first time, already passed level 10. For whatever reason I never played it in DOS but my breadth of play in DOS is limited overall. I'm grateful LZWolf exists in the way it allows DOS mods to be ported relatively quickly to today's PC. And I run LZWolf already so its an easy choice for me.

Thanks to Orka for putting this together under LZWolf. Now the world gets to enjoy Coming of the Storm in a new way.
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:46 am

Made it through final stage 19. Ghosts are tricky in last level. You can kill regular ghosts only with a knife by standing at a certain angle. (Tip: Stand beside a wall and let ghosts come towards you while tapping knife continuously ). They won't die with any other weapon. But you can kill final boss ghost with weapons. Damn boss ghost disappears and suddenly appears before your face lol. Flashing eyes is the clue for the boss before it appears. Couldn't believe this mod was first made in 2004. So beautiful , interesting and advanced.
AstroCreep
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:01 am

Well looks like you caught a bug lol. Those ghosts aren’t supposed to die at all. Any feedback with differences to the dos version is welcome, so they can be fixed for a more authentic experience.
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:32 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thanks for the bug. Those many immortal ghosts chasing us is really pain in *** Laughing All ghost levels made me save game for every kill i did. Hard and nightmare. Sad
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: