DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[BETA RELEASE]Wolfenstein Missions Second Encounter
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 55

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:40 pm
   Subject: [BETA RELEASE]Wolfenstein Missions Second Encounter
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ACHTUNG DOWNLOADEN BETA ZWEI (3.16MB)
Requires a recent build of ECWolf. LZWolf is also compatible. The 1.3 release on Blzut3's site is not compatible. This version can be loaded with either vanilla graphics or a new look with a brown floor and revamped SNES style palette. To use the new look, load brnfloor.wad first, then wolfmissions_2nd.pk3, then brnstatics.pk3. To use the original look, simply load the main pk3 by itself.

I am proud to present the beta of Wolfenstein Missions Second Encounter, the second of three releases of Wolfenstein Missions. This release features 22 19 20 levels, 18 normal and 4 1 2 secret, covering four of the mod's six planned units. Wolfenstein Missions is my ultimate statement as a level designer so far, into which I have poured all of my knowledge, skill, and passion into something that looks and feels like the original Wolfenstein but deeper, bigger, bolder, more complex, and harder. The gameplay of Wolfenstein Missions massively expands on the original range of enemies, weapons, and other elements in Wolfenstein 3D, but in a cohesive, self-contained way; it is meant to be a fully balanced and finely tuned game in its own right, not just extra stuff grafted on top of the existing game. The first two Coffee Break episdoes were essentially a trial run for this, my attempt to harness the power of ECWolf to reinvent Wolf3D for the modern retro-FPS renaissance while sacrificing none of what made veteran Wolf3D players fall in love with it to begin with.

Wolfenstein Missions' difficulty levels make it suitable for gamers of all skill levels. The first few maps may seem as easy as Id's early work, but the later maps on Death Incarnate skill are playgrounds for the Wolfenstein gods, grueling tests of skill, courage, reflexes, and strategy that will test even the most seasoned Wolfers. For everyone else, player damage on skills below Death Incarnate is reduced to 62.5%, equivalent to the Macintosh version of Wolf3D, and the difficulty level Ultra-Violence has been added between Bring 'Em On and Death Incarnate. Like its Doom namesake, Ultra-Violence emphasizes speed, with a slightly more forgiving damage model greatly increasing the pace of gameplay and reducing the importance of camping and kiting.

Wolfenstein Missions' enemy and weapon roster are far more varied than Wolfenstein 3D, with enemies providing a variety of different types of threats at different ranges, and each possessing a distinctive appearance and behavior--no plain recolors or number tweaks, new enemies that do new things and present new challenges. Likewise, the new weapons have strengths and weaknesses totally different from the basic Wolf3D weapons, and these elements work together to give you a much broader array of options to tackle bigger, tougher, and more complex fights than the original game could possibly handle.

The levels start modest and similar to vanilla Wolf3D, but grow in size and complexity as the mod unfolds. Before long you'll be watching walls move and transform, fighting your way out of terrifying dynamic traps, and stepping into teleporters to be whisked off to parts unknown, all the while looking at an enormous variety of textures and themes, some familiar, some entirely new, and all of them fitting seamlessly into Wolf3D's cartoony EGA-to-VGA aesthetic. In addition to some added music based on MIDIs by musicians from the Doom community, many of the existing IMFs in the Wolf3D soundtrack have been remixed and remastered by AstroCreep to match the style of his arrangements of the MIDI based tracks, furthering the aesthetic unity of the experience.

The three secret levels aren't ready yet, I hope to get the secret levels complete soon, especially a certain "out-there" map many of you have already seen screenshots of...

Last edited by Executor on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
AstroCreep
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 41
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

WOOOOOOO! Love the new changes, and those later levels are a beast! Excellent job.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 173
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:52 pm
   Subject: Re: [BETA RELEASE]Wolfenstein Missions Second Encounter

Those purple guys...the Read This! seems to be missing them.

Mission 1-1 was an improvement from how it was in the prior release, 1-2 I absolutely LOVE the additions and the much higher challenge you gave for the to-be secret exit part. 1-3...a bit tame maybe though Hans can have you dead in no time if you don't get cover. Only thing I question...why FEWER enemies than before on 2-1, 2-2, and 2-5? Though I haven't played them yet. Second Encounter looks like quite some Operation: Eisenfaust epic...
Ryu-sama
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: None

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:09 am

Looks nice. Planning to look into it at the weekend.

(Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones, George RR Martin)
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 5

india.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:14 am

You did big blunder in 1-2 (2nd stage) coding. You put a switch inside a room such that doors of that room only open with the switch inside. How can i go in ? Shocked

I found that error through "no clipping" walk through walls cheat (Tab+N). I walked in to the room, turned on switch to see doors of that room opened then. Laughing That switch will also open the hall of bronze key for your better understanding.

Took one hour or more to find that error. Till then i was wandering around the stage if there is some secret i missed to open that door.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 111
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:20 am

quartzdoll wrote:
You did big blunder in 1-2 (2nd stage) coding. You put a switch inside a room such that doors of that room only open with the switch inside. How can i go in ? Shocked

I found that error through "no clipping" walk through walls cheat (Tab+N). I walked in to the room, turned on switch to see doors of that room opened then. Laughing That switch will also open the hall of bronze key for your better understanding.

Took one hour or more to find that error. Till then i was wandering around the stage if there is some secret i missed to open that door.

I managed to get through the level okay?

DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:47 am

Zombie_Plan wrote:
quartzdoll wrote:

With just gold and silver keys , that level can be finished without playing 75% of the level because there are 2 exits for that level. Do you mean you got 3 keys and finished level with 100% stats ? That is impossible. Tell me if you were able to open this room and got that key ? The switch to open this room is just behind statue in other room. How did you open that room ?

quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:22 am

Tested game with ecwolf beta build ecwolf-x64-1.3.3-323-gd5665ea.7z now. It worked but same problem again to get 3rd bronze key.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:56 am

quartzdoll wrote:
Zombie_Plan wrote:
quartzdoll wrote:

With just gold and silver keys , that level can be finished without playing 75% of the level because there are 2 exits for that level. Do you mean you got 3 keys and finished level with 100% stats ? That is impossible. Tell me if you were able to open this room and got that key ? The switch to open this room is just behind statue in other room. How did you open that room ?

Ah yes. Isn't only 1 of the secret levels actually ready now? Maybe that's how he locks us out of getting there

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:53 am

The secret exit just goes to Level 3 for now, but I got everything without cheating any. Was using LZWolf. Hint three brown one blue?
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 am

How does one go from "the secret level isn't finished yet" to "large portions of the main level are inaccessible"? Level 2 is entirely finished; the only thing done for the beta release was to change the secretnext to map03.

DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 am

Hmm , so the 2 exits in level 1-2 only leads to map 3 and i should not worry about the 3rd key in that room. I may miss some treasure inside that room having 3rd key then. Thats ok. I didn't cheat the game while playing. I only used "walk through walls" cheat to find the error which locked down the secret level entry. I use cheat rarely to find unvisited push walls having treasure to get better stats for the level. I only do that after trying hardly to find hidden treasure without a cheating first. Trying hard means we should go around knocking all walls through the level which is very difficult. It hurts eyes and fingers. Thats why i suggest authors to give small hints for secret push walls.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:07 am

There is a hint. Vases. 3 brown, 1 blue. Look for that...
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Executor wrote:
How does one go from "the secret level isn't finished yet" to "large portions of the main level are inaccessible"? Level 2 is entirely finished; the only thing done for the beta release was to change the secretnext to map03.

I apologize, and only offered it as an idea for why a secret elevator wouldn't be accessible. I only speculated, I didn't mean to make it as a factual claim.

Topics: None

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:12 am

Nice work, I enjoyed playing the mod thanks
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:35 am

In level 3-1 . Going good. Exploding barrels are useful to kill enemies beside them. Some new music and some old altered music is also good. Wonder why a chain gun is not available yet in this 9th level. Shot gun is little slow but ok to use.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:32 pm

The next beta version will feature a new art style and interface inspired by the SNES version of Wolfenstein, Deadly Sleep, and my own taste for griminess and grunginess in Wolfenstein maps. The floor has been changed to the same brown as the SNES and Jaguar versions of Wolfenstein, and all of the sprites are being edited to match. No ugly, clashing gray shadows like in a thousand other colored floor mods before--this will be seamless. The palette, too, has been edited with SNES/MAC-like slimy greens replacing the bright King's Quest EGA greens of PC Wolfenstein. The effect greatly amplifies the desolate, oppressive atmosphere I wanted to convey with my maps.

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Cool! Screens are definitely rather neat looking. But can you leave a 'traditional' version up for download as well? Maybe do a separate pk3 that modifies everything relevant to the new look, that can but does not have to be loaded after missions_xxx.pk3 if desired. Just so the maximum PC feel and atmosphere is still an option. Smile
Aryan_Wolf3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 8

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:31 am

Executor wrote:
No ugly, clashing gray shadows like in a thousand other colored floor mods before--this will be seamless.

What about the bottom of the walls? They're clearly designed to match a grey floor, and look kind of icky with anything else.

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:01 am

Going to work on a couple of those, but only the blue stone has really been a problem with this floor so far.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 168
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Executor wrote:
Going to work on a couple of those, but only the blue stone has really been a problem with this floor so far.
You'll run into the same problem with "Wood With Sandpaper" walls as well. Smile
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:37 pm

In 4-1 stage now. Defeating Uber Mutant in 3-6 was too intense. Had to run all over arena. Laughing He was shooting so fast at us. Found chain gun in level 3-1 finally. Like the speed of chain gun but it is consuming more bullets per second.

Screenshots of 2nd beta looking beautiful. Any changes in 2nd beta like adding secret level, extra weapons/enemies ? When is the release ?
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Download beta 2
Because the new brown-floor assets are not entirely complete yet, Beta 2 uses three files. Load brnfloor.wad FIRST, then wolfmissions_2nd.pk3, then brnstatics.pk3, to get correct results. This beta can be played with the original graphics by loading wolfmissions_2nd.pk3 alone. This is a temporary measure; the brown floor assets will be merged into the main file sometime in the near future. This will likely be your last chance to play it with the old look! A new map31, "White Privilege" is now accessible from map02 via the secret elevator. The former map31 has been moved up to map32.

DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:47 pm

That third screenie sure is trying to raise hairs....
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 165

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:00 am

I'm a big fan of how the floor synchs up with the status bar; is the border color likewise inspired by the SNES version ("military green")? All in all this looks like an interesting package with a very dynamically inclined set of graphics and a set of very challenging maps.
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:59 pm

From level 4-3 the game design made me confused and bored. Still there are some bugs like when you use fire gun, instead of fire , fire-guns goes towards enemy sometimes.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:14 am

What does that even mean? If you fire a gum, the bullet goes towards the enemy. That's how guns work.

DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:12 am

Executor wrote:
What does that even mean? If you fire a gum, the bullet goes towards the enemy. That's how guns work.

From the context of the comment, it sounds like quartzdoll means that instead of the proper fireball projectiles, literal sprites of the actual gun itself shoot out at the enemy instead. At least that's how I read it.

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 am

That bug triggers only if the player is cheating. Tab+I or other item cheats can give you the Mac flamethrower, whichcomflicts with my flamethrower but is built into ECWolf. I generally follow the policy that if you cheat, whatever happens as a result of cheating are on you.

e: Good lord, I suck at typing on a phone!

Last edited by Executor on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
quartzdoll
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

india.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:47 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Metalor is right. Fire gun sprites are going to enemy. I must test the game one more time without cheat for the bug. In first beta that bug was not there. As i was confused and frustrated in level 4-3 i tried to cheat it once. May be that time i got the bug.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: