DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Top 10 Charts
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:11 pm
   Subject: Top 10 Charts
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This is a new addition to the forums..

Here you can vote the software as "Hot" or "Not". Each week, you can submit your votes for each piece of software, and it will produce a sort of song list top 10. You can also add games to the listing.

I hope you like it...

Enjoy...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS> Lets keep it to Wolfenstein 3d Based games only. Thanks!

Last edited by BrotherTank on Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:28 pm
   Subject: Re: Top 10 Charts
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Who chooses which pieces of software you vote on?

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:31 pm

Executor wrote:
Who chooses which pieces of software you vote on?

As I said above... You can add games to the list....
I know the button says add a song, Smile but it's not been changed yet...
I added the first 10... to get it going...

Please do not duplicate entries!

Greg
BrotherTank
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:38 pm

Shwwwwwweeeet!
Very cool idea, Greg!

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:02 am

Dugtrio17 wrote:
Shwwwwwweeeet!
Very cool idea, Greg!

Glad you like it.... It was originally a music chart system, but with a few changes it became this.

To All:

Each week you can vote for each piece of software in the list. The weeks will end on Sunday evening, when I have to click an admin button to reset the weekly votes. It will then rate the software based on the previous weeks votes.

So when a new week begins, you may once again vote for each and every piece of software listed. To vote, just click on the "thumbs up" if you like the software or the "thumbs down" if you don't.

To view the different charts, just click on the "Click Here to View Top 10 Games" or the "Click Here to View ALL Games". The ALL games will list all of the games entered into the database.

To add a new listing you have to enter the name of the game and the author of the game. You may also enter the web site url (but it is not a required entry field). Just click on the "Add" button (I know it says Add Song but I haven't had the time to edit the button yet) and enter the information. Please do Not Duplicate Entries.

NOTE: Please only add games that use the WOLF3D source as a base. ie: No RTCW or DeerHunter or GTA3... This is for our community to give quick ratings to games of our community.

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:02 am

Woah, I just realized that you can vote EVERY WEEK - thanks to a little flying msn messanger named ack. Guess I should have actually read this thread; lol. Pretty cool! Honestly, I have no idea why Chokage has always been so high on the list... I only voted for it twice now; haha. I guess you guys are all smoking the same sugar high cereal bowls I am. Smile

I midaswell tell you what I voted for so far, as far as I can remember; just for fun.

2 - Spear: Resurrection (and to think, I could have voted for this 14 times! lol)
2 - Wolfenstein 3d (obviously should be in first, but right below SR would be fine with me)
2 - Spear of Destiny (great sequal, how can people not like this?)
2 - Chokage (hey, it's not exactly what I dreamed it to be - but why not?)
2 - Schabbs2000 (play levels 3-6 and 8 and tell me you don't love what you see!)
2 - Chemical Warfare (jack ryerson is the man for his groovamondo modest addon!)
2 - Alien Wolf (probably the coolest shareware set I ever played)
2 - Countdown to Disaster (more great level design goodness)
1 - acktung (ack is so cool! yeah yeah! And to think, 5 other people voted yes so far)
1 - Golden Episodes (still kind of deciding, it's nice... need to play more levels though)
1 - Halls of Stonehenge (how could I not vote yes for this?)
? - Corridor 7 (I think I voted yes once, but I'm not sure!)
0 - Wolf Collection (voted thumbs up at pos. #11, than decided to even things out)
0 - Executor's Final Assault (voted no, but than I started to like it so I voted yes)
-1 - Noak's Ark (pretty cool, better than Chokage - maybe I should reconsider this one)
-1 - The Final Solution (everyone else did it!?! it's not like anyone knows I did too... drat!)
-1 - Project Eisenritter (cool, but wished there was more environments)
-1 - Mutantstein SE (I think I just did this cause I wished I made a level for it sooner)
-2 - WolfenDoom (never played past the first level yet, but it's too high - haha)
-2 - Blake Stone - Aliens of Gold (another alright one, guess I just wanted it to go down)
-2 - Project: Totengraeber (Good God! and this one was at like #5 at one point! lol)

Some I voted thumbs down not because I didn't like them, but because I just thought some other things deserved to be higher (like Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny - obviously). I think I'll reconsider some of those negative votes next week... and just keep some things where they are for now. It's not like one little man like me can make much difference in a crowd of 130 anyways.. especially now that I'm re-aquainting you guys with the existance of the Top 10 list; which will probably get you guys to vote nasty NOs to Chokage to punish me for those negative votes I've cast already - haha. Wink
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:13 am

Er...I don't see any list or results anywhere...am I missing something?? Confused

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:24 am

Got it...thanks! Cheesy Grin

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:37 am
   Subject: Week 24 has begun...

note: merged from "The Final Assault" thread.

ack wrote:
As for your The Final Assault? I did give it a short test spin, but scrapped it because I was working on a bunch of other stuff. Chris told me it was worth playing, so I will be getting around to it when I have more time to play than design.

I wouldn't say that this comment is entirely correct; but it does hold some truth. Even though I did mention how I've had a positive experience with this addon, I'm pretty sure that I didn't say that you should play it, or that you would even like it. I'm sorry if I came off that way. To enjoy this game, I believe that you need to be in certain mindframe - a carefree and adventurous state where your original expectations in gameplay are removed, and replaced with the desire to have some fun and explore the unknown. This approach is what has given me some very impressive memories with other lower games in the charts like Counter Wolf, The Final Solution, Gotterdamung, etc. - but like you said, if you're looking for something that will never get old, this might not be your cup of tea - or it might, if some of these environments and strategies leave a lasting impression on you.

Maybe this thread will explain the feelings that were going through my head as I played Executor's game a little better:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=962

I was actually kind of turned off after reading Executor's reply, which didn't really seem to imply that he was even as pashionate as I was about the levels in his own set. I found this kind of strange, since he was the one who brought up the topic in the first place. Did your pashion for your levels just die off or something Executor, or were you ever that proud of them at all?

ack wrote:
The Top 10 Charts here at DHW are rarely mentioned in the threads. It's nice to see someone start talking about them.

Sure is. The more people who vote on the charts, the more accurate it will be to the views of everyone on the forum. Smile

As you mentioned, the lower addons on the chart generally don't seem have put forth the time to make them as "lasting"; but every addon on the list has put forth some effort, and is good in their own way - so it's always hard to pick whether to move an addon up or down... or what should make an addon qualify as a Yes or No. This chart seems to be shaping more and more into something beautiful as more people with pashionate addon experiences are giving their personal favorites a nudge. I enjoy checking back on it every few days...

If anyone is curious, the reasons I've been voting The Final Solution down (yup, I've done it around 5 times! lol) are somewhat based around the way he promotes his game, the way he doesn't keep his promises, and his verbal contributions to the forums; more than anything. I do see how that's not exactly how this kind of poll should work, but I believe that this does matter in some ways, as I'm sure (for example) that people would play Zeta Burn's addon more if he was a nicer guy. Despite that, I actually voted The Final Solution "Hot" the last two weeks - to perhaps end the farce, and bring it closer to a leve it deserves. After reading those stories that Martin posted about Josef Mengele; it's brought me to appreciate addons that are based on true stories a little more.

Your views about Project: Totengraeber are perfectly in touch with mine. When I first played Conflict in the Fatherland, the level design immediately drew my attention - and gave me hours and hours of playing fun. Than, awhile later, Totengraeber was released; and everyone was praising it dearly, but I could never get into it for some reason. It wasn't until I met Jack Ryerson that I found someone else who noticed that something was lacking in PT that made CITF so good; and this was the great level design layouts and gameplay ideas. So... if that minor detail doesn't seem apparent to you, or doesn't detract you from playing PT and you still love it anyways, than by all means... vote it "Hot". I've actually voted it "Hot" once already, as I don't think it should be that low; but than again, maybe it should... so that other sets that deserve some attention (like Ragland's and Ryerson's sets) can have their own little shot at fame that PT hogged for so many years. The choice is up to you.

Ok, that's enough ranting balderdash from this end. Hope I didn't stray too far off topic here! Oh wait, I certainly did - and am posting this message anyways! bwahaha. Nice signature there ack! It made me laugh... Mr Green

Last edited by Chris on Tue May 18, 2004 5:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:31 am

Well, it looks like the charts are going well with people voting, but I'm interested in knowing how people are voting for the software listed?

Are you voting on the software after actually playing it?
Are you voting on the software by the author of the software?
Are you comparing it to others out there? ie the classics?
Are you following the votes of others?

Personally, if I haven't played the software, I don't vote either way for it.
When I have played it, I then look at it overall, and give it a rating out of 10. If it's better than 7, I vote "Hot"..... If it's lower than a 4, I vote "Not". If it's inbetween, then I generally don't vote for it either way.
I also actually look at the chart and see where things are in relation to one another, as that also affects my vote.

I've been following the charts since the installation of the software, and have noticed some strange things, hence why I've asked the above questions. I see software on the chart that doesn't deserve the placement that it has (again my personal opinion) but I'll give you an example. Let's look at TFS by TVP. I watched as people ranted about how great this game was, when it was released, on other forums. They gave it raving reviews. Yet I look at where it is now, and wonder why it's where it is when others that obviously are nowhere near that quality, are rated above it? That's just one example.

Maybe we need another type of system to rate the software? Something with a little more choice than just "Hot" and "Not". Either way, I'm interested in knowing how people make the choices in the charts. Don't be shy, and please answer honestly.....

Greg
BrotherTank

PS. Lets keep the charts free of "DEMO" software.
Demo's are not a fair example of the project as a whole. (That's my example of what should not be voted better than something that is completed).
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:42 am

I vote after actually playing, if I have never played it I don't vote either way, I don't vote on depending on the author but on actually on how good the mod is.
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:49 am

Same here.. of course.... Even if you ended up not liking Tristan much, SURELY people can still respect that TFS is an excellent mod? It goes against the whole point if people are going to be that lame. Also I'm surprised at the lowness of Totenraeber.

And personally, I would quite like a more detailed voting system, such as a mark out of 10! But then, this system could REALLY be abused by people who ain't playing fair... Bleh. I should stop ranting now.

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:49 am

Same thing
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:55 am

Yikes! Sorry Brothertank, but I didn't even notice your post until now. I guess this link below (that I posted an hour ago) would give you a good idea of why ack and I have been voting for the addons that we did so far:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=865&start=44

Your idea of having another type of system to rate the software is interesting. I believe that the "U-Rate-It" section is a good alternative; for those who think a simple "Hot" or "Not" is not enough. What kind of other ideas did you have in mind? Smile

------------------------
P.S. I also noticed that the forum has 20 posts per page now (instead of the original 15). This is nice, as now I don't have to surf through as many pages to read everything; and there were some threads (like "What is your Favorite Level from Spear of Destiny?") which I can keep alot more from by just saving the first page. Too cool...
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:00 pm
   Subject: Re: The Final Assault screenies (image heavy)

note: merged from "The Final Assault" thread.

Quote:
I was actually kind of turned off after reading Executor's reply, which didn't really seem to imply that he was even as pashionate as I was about the levels in his own set. I found this kind of strange, since he was the one who brought up the topic in the first place. Did your pashion for your levels just die off or something Executor, or were you ever that proud of them at all?

I do have pride in my levels, I just don't really like to express it. I always thought it is better to be thought of as indifferent than a braggart.

However, Wolfenstein really isn't holding my interest like it used to, and I've just gotten back into editing after a bit of a hiatus. I've been fooling around with other games for far too long, it's time to get back to working on TFA. I just need some spark, some inspiration, something that makes me think "I should do that!".

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:26 pm

Chris wrote:
Yikes! Sorry Brothertank, but I didn't even notice your post until now. I guess this link below (that I posted an hour ago) would give you a good idea of why ack and I have been voting for the addons that we did so far:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=865&start=44

Not a problem... This ones been here for a while, and others are still creating new threads for the same thing. I did read both your and ack's posts, as well as the rest in that thread, and that got me thinking. Hence my post back here.... Smile

Chris wrote:
Your idea of having another type of system to rate the software is interesting. I believe that the "U-Rate-It" section is a good alternative; for those who think a simple "Hot" or "Not" is not enough. What kind of other ideas did you have in mind? Smile

Actually, what I would love to have is a pure software rating system that expands on just hot and not.... Something like:

Have it list in the description:

1. Game Title
2. Authors Name
3. Changes: Graphics, Sounds, Code. (yes or no).
4. Link: To download.
5. Votes made
6. Votes Total
7. Average Vote

Votes: Would be something along the lines of this....

Playbility: 1 to 10 - Tells people if it held your attention.
Atmosphere: 1 to 10 - Rates Graphics, sounds, story, etc.
Overall Rating: 1 to 10 - How you really felt overall...
- 1 being poor and 10 being great.

Then the three scores would be added together, divided by three to give a vote value... then it's added to the votes total and divided by the votes made... to give an overall average of the game....

Or something like that... But currently there is nothing written in phpBB to do it...

Chris wrote:
P.S. I also noticed that the forum has 20 posts per page now (instead of the original 15). This is nice, as now I don't have to surf through as many pages to read everything; and there were some threads (like "What is your Favorite Level from Spear of Destiny?") which I can keep alot more from by just saving the first page. Too cool...

Not a problem... Was making a few adjustments and changing the number of posts per page, didn't make things too large for one screen of download.... lol.

Anyhow... if you have any ideas on how to rate the software better, I'm open to suggestion, as it looks like I'll have to either write it myself... or see if someone in the phpBB community will take on the task...

Greg
BrotherTank
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:32 pm

Here are some of my votes:

Spear Resurrection - Hot. This one just rocks.
Noah's Ark 3D - Not. I have no idea why this isn't at the bottom where it belongs.
Halls of Stonehenge - Hot. Blood doesn't convert well to the Wolfenstein engine, but it was a great effort nevertheless.
Project Eisenritter - Hot. It doesn't blernd together as well as I'd like sometimes, but it's still a good set.
Operation Heimzahlung - Hot. Easily the best of WSJ's sets, even though I hate the stealth levels.
Totengraeber - Hot. Say what you want, this is still one of the best sets of all time.
Operation BodyCount - Not. This game makes me puke.
The Final Solution - Hot. It doesn't deserve to be all the way down there, it's really a pretty good set.

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:47 pm

Here's some of the votes I voted "hot" for. I don't think I voted "not" for anything.
Castle Totenkopf: I liked the assult rifle and the mod itself was pretty cool, it brought a bit of a challenge for me with the SS officers and the Waffen SS. Smile

Project Eisenritter: The new enemies were quite cool, I also liked the Iron Knight cause he was the biggest challenge for a boss I have ever faced. Also I liked the lightning gun and it brought a big challenge. Smile

Operation Heimzahlung: The graphics are cool, it brought about the same challenge as in Castle Totenkopf, but I love the sten gun cause it is silent rather than using the knife. Smile

The Golden Episodes: I thought this mod was very cool and brought a good challenge to me. It has the original feel but the music is very different which sometimes makes me feel like I'm playing a whole different game. Very Happy

Halls of Stonehenge: It was a very cool mod and I got addicted to it for a while, also I love the shotgun in it and it is pretty much the only weapon I use except for bosses. It had the original feel and it made me feel like I was playing a completely different game. Very Happy

Corridor 7: I thought this game was very underrated and some of the weapons were pretty cool. The music was cool and also it was pretty challenging. I liked the dual blaster cause it was like a chaingun. Smile

Blake Stone (both games): I thought both of them were pretty cool, I like the 6th weapon from Planet Strike cause it could blow away unlocked doors. In Aliens of Gold I thought it was more challenging than in Planet Strike, even though both of the Blake Stone games were cool. Smile

Spear Ressurrection: This mod just plain old kicked ass. I liked the artifacts in it. I thought the Mk weapons looked very cool. It brought quite a big challenge to me. Very Happy
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:39 pm

Seems a few of you have missed the point... or at least while I appreciate the answers, I wasn't asking how you voted for each piece of software specifically, but rather what you vote for about the software.

When I asked:

Quote:

I am wondering if you play the games all the way through? Is it graphics, sounds, or code mods that affect how you vote (or all of the above)? Do you take a certain piece of softwares position on the charts already into account? Are you voting on the hype of others? What are you using as the standard to compare games to (old school or new - a certain piece)? Does the author of the software affect your vote? Do you compare it to others by the same author? Is this piece up to the same standard that you've come to expect from said author....

That sort of thing.... Very Happy

Greg
BrotherTank
Mikey X
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:50 pm

Oh ok, I should read the whole thread before posting Embarassed . I vote on it after actually playing it. If it really doesn't interest me, I don't play it all the way, and sometimes I will vote not but it depends on the graphics, sometimes source code and etc., and if it is interesting I play it all the way through but for my vote it depends on graphics, source code and etc.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:00 pm

I vote generally off of my overall experience with the game.

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:14 pm

Quote:

1. Of course !
2. Absolutely not !
3. Absolutely not !!
4. Absolutely not !!!
5. Graphics : Yes !
6. Source code : Sometimes
7. Levels : Yes
8. Difficulty : Yes
9. Atmosphere : Yes !

Huuuummm... That's all ! Razz
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:29 pm

Last edited by wolfie3dfan on Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arielus
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:43 am

When I started casting votes on the charts, and for some weeks -let's say three or four-, I only voted for those mods which I had started and finished playing completely, and also for those of which I had seen a big part. I didn't touch those I hadn't given a fair try to, and never ever was any of my votes to a mod influenced by the mod's author's name. I only took into account my personal opinion on the mod itself when I voted - nothing else. During those weeks, I cast 'Hots' and 'Nots', and I even voted for 'The Golden Episodes'. Exactly three times did I vote for it, and they were all 'Hots', for I liked my game enough to do it, and I still like it, happily.

Things have changed now, however. I've changed my mind about how to vote for the mods on the charts. I still keep on voting only for those of which I've played it all, and also for those of which I have witnessed enough; but, I no longer cast 'Nots'. Don't ask me why, but somehow, I don't feel comfortable doing so any more; it's not completely nice to put a load of effort into something, end up happy and satisfied with that something, and then see how others don't appreciate that something at all. Particularly, that's not what happens with 'The Golden Episodes', I know. At least, that's not what happens now, as it is incredibly high on the list, and I am more than glad for that; but anyway, I am sure there must be many modders, all of them happy with their corresponding titles, who must not like to see how their creations go down and down on the charts. I know, it all depends on one's opinion, and what you've developed does not necessarily have to be liked by everyone, of course; I completely agree with that. It's just me, and that little feeling is the reason why I ain't casting 'Nots' no more. In no way do I pretend the rest to follow my example, of course not. Again: It's only my humble pointa view, and I find it perfect if nobody agrees with it.

Anyway, I digress here... Another thing to mention is that I don't vote for 'The Golden Episodes' anymore - neither 'Hots' nor 'Nots'. I am lucky, because I still like my contribution a lot, and if I were still voting for it, I'd be giving it 'Hots', of course. However, after those three thumbs up, I decided to leave its fate upon the community's hands. I know that maybe one more 'Hot' a week wouldn't alter its position in a remarkable way, but I've come to think that one should not be a critic of their own creation. Take, for example, actors and actresses: They are not the ones who write the reviews about the films they've taken part on, are they? Or musicians: They produce the music, but who has the task to decide whether or not that music is worth listening is the audience, and not them... Well, I guess you get the idea here.

One last thing and I'll shut up: There are mods to which I've given votes in the past, 'Hots' and 'Nots', but for which I am not voting anymore now. I played some of these a while ago, and some others even before, so, in order to give them a conscious vote, I would have to play them again, and then see how I feel about them now. Maybe the feelings would be the same as they were at the moment I played them, maybe not, so I'm neither helping them up nor taking them down on the charts. Also, the mods' authors' names, still, don't have any influence on the votes I cast, and I'm absolutely sure they'll never do.

Woah... That was a long message, but it pretty much summarizes how I have been using the charts after those three or four initial weeks.

I'm dying for a piņa colada...

Ariel.

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:07 pm

I 100% agree with ack, screenshots and demos should definetly not be in the Top 10 charts. Especially the screenshots.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:20 pm
   Subject: Re: Screenshots and Demos

ack wrote:
I was just looking over the Top 10 Charts and noticed some screenshots and demos listed. Two words...

What gives? Shocked

Aren't the charts just for full version games based on the Wolf or SoD code? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

???? You'd have to ask the Mega Idiot who did it. He's a New user who is a little over zealous? Yes, the charts are supposed to be for complete Mods/TC/MapSets. Not sure why he did it. Just as I'm not sure why he wants more than 1 account.

Greg
BrotherTank

To All:
THE CHARTS ARE FOR COMPLETE MOD/TC's/MAPSETS ONLY

Lets not clutter up the charts with Demo's or the like. Posting a link on the charts to vote on screenshots is just plain STUPID!

Eitherway, the offending listings have been removed. If I missed any please send me a PM and I'll remove them as well.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:08 am
   Subject: #1 on the charts...

After 31 weeks of the DHW Charts being active, a glimpse of something memorable to everyone has temporarily shined through to first place. Considering all the great addons that have come out in the past few years, it's nice to know that people are still remembering and recognizing the beauty of the original game. Smile

Any opinions on this? Not that it's a giant deal or anything, but I've been secretly anticipating this moment for awhile (never really knowing if it would happen). Spear of Destiny isn't doing too bad either, 4th place at the moment. Two points for nostalgia! Cake
CJ Blazkowicz
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: None

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:06 pm

Well, there are a few games that I don't think should be in the top 10, but that is just my opinion. The charts are cool though. Keep on Voting!

CJ
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

How are the Top 10 charts calculated? They don't seem to be calculated by anything that I can think of;

- Number of votes
- Percentage
- Number of 'hot' votes

or anything else. Can someone explain exactly how the process for this works?

I especially ask because I wanted to vote for Havoc's 'Absence'. I eventually found it at number 156 with 11 'Hot' votes and 0 'Not' votes and a percentage of 100%. I voted 'Hot' for it as well but all it did was jump it to number 151???

I understand that it would be usless for a new mod to be listed, receive 1 'Hot' vote and be number one, so that's why I ask how is it all calculated?

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'll have to dig out the formula that it uses Dean... I don't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head. I do know that the program it'self was acutally originally a Top 10 song program and we played with it and converted it over to the games. It has 2 other data fields that we aren't using in it, but those were nothing special or required for the program to work.

[Sorry Anonymous, - I've gone into Rant Mode On ]

Personally, I would like to work on things to come up with a more accurate way to get programs rated by not just a number but by an overall view of the program... more like have a number of ratings for each program as to things like atmosphere, does it grab you in and make you want to finish it (rather than those that you start to play but never really finish)... To show people viewing it more like a review and guide to help them find the games/mapsets that really are worth playing... as set by the majority of views of the community.

I haven't voted in the polls in over 8 months because I was seeing the same thing time after time where it looked like people voted up for certain games and always down for others. I also found in talking to some people that they were voting for the author and not really for the game itself. When I heard things like that and others I really gave up on it as a true means of promoting games. I mean... look at all the original games (not original by author - but the games that started all of this craze for FPS games) and where they are in the charts. People voted down on them, yet they are the games that got us all hooked on FPS's to begin with. Then there were others voting games up or down that they hadn't even tried.... played.. or finished... now I can understand if the game really sucked... or if it's just a vswap change and really nothing else..

That's actually why I started a thread way back about reseting the charts and seeing if things move differently. I also wanted to get ideas of why people were voting for things and what it took to get those votes. I don't know if the charts are the specific way to go or to go more with the type of voting that I had started in the polling booth where you gave an overall opinion and the possibility to review the game and what you thought of it. The problem there was that everyone only wants to hear the good and not the bad.. Understandably to a degree, but its like the politically correct people now where they believe that everyone (like children on a team) should get a trophy or award because to not give to all you are praising some and not others.. That's bunk in my opinion.. because I believe that if you try... you deserve a pat on the back if you gave it your best, but you don't award everyone the same to not hurt someones feelings.

Anyhow.. I'm going off on a tangent again,.... lol... I don't want to sound like I'm preaching.. but I do like to give my thoughts and opinions.. but I try to do it fairly.. And this whole post is for anyone and everyone... I'm not just talking to Dean here... lol..

Greg
BrotherTank

Last edited by BrotherTank on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 3 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: