DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Top 10 Charts
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 pm
   Subject: Re: Top 10 Charts
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just so we're all clear... my idea was only to give 1 person 1 vote for each item being voted on.. What we're debating is the options given to the person voting...

The person starting a new vote for a mapset, mod, TC, vswap change, would enter:

Name of Item:
Author of Item:
What is Item: Radio button for Mapset, Vswap, Mod, TC, with check boxes for Graphics, Sounds, VGAGraph, EXE?
Number of Maps: If applicable... and required if Selected Mapset, Mod, TC in What is Item

And from my original perspective, the voting items would be:

Atmosphere -> 1 to 10 - Radio Buttons to Select
Gameplay -> 1 to 10 - Radio Buttons to Select
Overall Rating -> 1 to 10 - Radio Buttons Select
Comment: 200 to 400 Characters for quick blurb, review, statement...

Where each voter now gets to choose and enter their ratings ONCE for that item being voted on... Program adds 3 together and divides by 3 giving an Overall Voters Rating of 1 to 10... So the results would show (i've put it in a code block to give it a little formatting and said 4 people have voted)..:

::: CODE :::

==================================================
               Name:  The First Item to be Voted on...
              Author: The person who made the Item...
                          [] Mapset   [] Vswap   [] Mod  [*]TC   
                          [*] Graphics [*]Sounds  [*]VgaGraph  [*] Exe
Number of Maps: 25

Voters:  4     Atmosphere:  7.5   Gameplay:  6.5  Overall: 8   

Overall Average: 7.33       Click Here for Comments        Click Here to Vote!
==================================================

Next Listing.......

Now it's been suggested that we add more and really get into major nitpicking, but being less inclusive to say mapsets and vswap mods... And then the other way to being just 1 vote as an overall...
Now:
  • DoomJedi has flipflopped on what items should be voted on - going from nitpicking to just overall back to something else (of which I still don't know for sure what he thinks)... but I think there is still some openess on his part...
  • Adam suggested almost what I originally thought but adds the idea of Comments...
  • Vermil agrees somewhere in the middle of the voting items proposed by DoomJedi
  • BrotherTank plays devils advocate and at one point Adam and DoomJedi are almost agreeable on 1 voting item... I like Adams comment idea...
  • Dean suggested seeing the votes, but I'm not sure if that was voters being able to see votes cast by others or if it's Admin/Moderators who get to see the voting list and how they voted.... And I ask about who gets to see the votes... Not sure who gets to see them yet...
  • CodeTech84 agrees that one person one vote (which I think is what everyone agrees with), but give the option to let them change their vote... Also gives supports the idea of being able to see the votes for everyone by everyone..
If I've got any of that wrong, let me know... As this is my perception of what everyone has written so far... And we all would still love to know what others think about all of this... As the more input the better...much like the idea of rating itself... lol....

Now the reasons that I suggested the 3 options originally is this:
  • Mapset Rating....
    1. Atmosphere is did person use the sprites/walls to create something that could follow a storyline or give the player a certain feeling as they play the game....
    2. Gameplay is are the maps stimulating, captivating, giving you the hook, enjoyable and so on...
    3. Overall is the idea of Good Atmosphere, Good Gameplay, Enjoyabiltiy Overall & Replayability...
  • Vswap....
    1. Atmosphere is does the overall graphics give a good overall feeling and/or could follow some type of storyline. Could be a set completely off the wall like say PacMan, Barney, Alien, Santa... etc..
    2. Gameplay is did the changes keep the game and keep the hook as the maps played with this did originally (as you would only change Vswaps usually on mapsets that you liked).
    3. Overall is again as above.. Good Atmosphere, Good Gameplay... and the idea of good overall liking of what it does to the game, be it whimsical & funny to dark & disgusting... and would you think of replaying this and using it with other mapsets and if you did how it worked with other mapsets overall
  • Mod/TC....
    1. Atmosphere is there a good idea or storyline and/or did the graphics/sounds/Vgagraph work together to create a good overall feeling
    2. Gameplay is did the maps, possible exe, and use of the graphics/sounds work together to enhance the gameplay and give you the hook...
    3. Overall is how did you like it and the way that both the Atmosphere and Gameplay came together to enhance your enjoyability of the game/replayability factor...

Now as you can see, everything really does overlap in many areas (probably much more than I mentioned above and more like definitely as I held back some) but, in doing so you also get a more accurate average for the overall because of it... ie... voter liked atmosphere, but voted short on gameplay, but voted average for overall... and the overall overall average is more accurate to what the voter is thinking... This also makes it more difficult for someone to really skew results.. and at a minimum helps show whether someone is being tight and very stingy with the votes or attempting something else... Now we can add more options, but then they only become more specific to say Mods/TC's and really don't apply to the others.. And in doing so, are we actually starting to skew the results by possibly being too picky...???

I actually think by being a little vague (and as such some of my ommision on say overlapping and such) allows everyone to vote and decide what they mean to them... but overall, in the end, with a larger sample of votes, the rating becomes more relative and accurate??

And if we are showing how people voted, then I think it should be only after the person has voted themselves as we don't want being able to see the votes of others and having that skew how someone might vote themselves...

Anyhow... those are my thoughts and perceptions of things so far... What are yours????

Greg
    BrotherTank

Looking forward to hearing more and really opening the discussion to everyone and anyone of the members of the forums... Your thoughts and opinions are important...

BT Tank
  • Adam Biser
    Utility Developer
    Utility Developer

Topics: 46
    usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm
    Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I stick with one overall + comments. I know that kills the ability to order the list differently, but I don't think I would personally miss that.

However... different thought: why clump mapsets, vswaps, mods, and TC's all in one list? Seems more like they should be 3 or 4 lists...

DieHard Wolfer
    DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
    israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 pm

I like BT's suggestion more.
    vermil
    DieHard Guard
    DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:12 am

I agree with BT's fields. But I would like to suggest that a user can choose to vote numerically without leaving a comment and the other way around?

That way the system will appeal to the widest possible amount of users.

Something else that has come to mind, that I myself am still thinking about. Perhaps with the numerical vote, the "overall" field should be the only mandatory field a user must fill in. That maybe the user shouldn't be forced to enter a value in every field in the numerical vote if they don't wish to?
    Codetech84
    Code Master
    Code Master

Topics: 22
    finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 am

How about the five star rating system, works great on YouTube for example.

Each user gets to vote once (or maybe change their vote later if the mod is updated or something) with a rating of 1-5 stars, but with the option of leaving a comment like Biser said. Voting would be easy (we're not writing game reviews here), still those who wish to elaborate on graphics, atmosphere or anything can use the comment field. I think this would serve for both kinds of voters, those who want to write a "review" and those who just want to simply vote by their overall impression on the mod. Now that I think about it, showing individual votes might scare of voters and we don't want that.

doomjedi
    DieHard Wolfer
    DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 am

I think 1 field or 3 - it's basically the same level of complexity. All can be filled within 10 sec.
    So 3 appeals to those who are more detailed, yet not too annoying for the other group.

I have another suggestion I've just thought of - One that is simple, and will equally appeal to both groups.

3 options - GamePlay, Atmosphere and Overall.

BUT - If you fill Overall field - 2 other fields are not required, just automatically filled with OverAll "mark"...that you can change if you want to be more detailed.
    If you fill GamePlay and Atmosphere - it's average mark is automatically set/calculated as OverAll - unless you manually change it.

This way you need to set only 1-2 fields, depending on which "group" you belong to - yet each vote all 3 fields will be calculated/set
    Dean
    <B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
    australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:11 pm

I think what BT has suggested is spot on also. We could keep arguing and suggesting more and more things, but this is close enough for my liking.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
    Tricob
    <B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
    usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm for the 3-field thing as well, with "Comments" being optional rather than necessary. You folks have made some excellent points in this thread, and I can't really post much that hasn't been said already. So, I'll just leave it at that. Smile
    BrotherTank
    Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm

lol... no problem... I'm lol'ing because everyone went back to the how and overlooked the one part that I thought might generate more conversation... That being the votes themselves...

It's been suggested that we should be able to see votes... but I've wondered who should see them... the Admin... The Admin/Mods.... Everyone?? And should it be show votes and comments, or just comments... and then... Show them before or after the person has voted??

Personally, I thought that if you want to see votes... then people shouldn't be able to see the names as to who voted what because it might start something where person A say... Hey B, what's up with that vote on X.... But at the same time, I agree that you should see something like: A's Comment: blah blah blah... whatever... And maybe to Admins/Mods, the program can show the name with the votes...

And I do understand what Adam means... should we lump everything together..?? Or should it be like 3 or 4 lists where each type of modification to the original game has it's own list...

The other question I had was something CodeTech said about allowing someone to change their vote on the items that they have voted for?? What about that idea? I guess that would also mean that they could change their comments as well... And along with that Vermil sugested that one could enter a comment but not vote or vote and leave no comment (vote and leave no comment was what I thought originally when Adam suggested it as a comment is truely up to each person and as such optional... )??? Do you think leaving a comment but not voting is a viable option??

I really do like the input and more and more people are sharing with us which is great... I do look forward to hearing from more as well... especially those that visit say once a week or more.. and for that matter anyone and everyone because this is your place... I'm also looking into other things to which this matter would serve an interesting addition to.. Just think of a monthly list... or a small list on the homepage or part of the RSS feed that everyone has access to... Anyhow... I await some more debate and conversation...

Greg
    BrotherTank
    Adam Biser
    Utility Developer
    Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:53 pm

My thoughts:

• Yes to seeing the individual votes.
    • Only admins should see names.
    • Users will see numbers in order to identify them (making these number HTML anchors would be useful for referencing as well).
    • Users can go back and change or even delete their vote. I dislike the thought of "once done, set in stone".
    • Items appear in lines similar to how they do now except there with be a plus symbol to expand the item to show individual user votes.
    • Users should be allowed to view individual votes all the time. Otherwise, what good will it be to those who want to use the list to find new games they want to try?
    • A person can vote without commenting, but they shouldn't be able to comment without voting.

Code Master
    Code Master

Topics: 22
    finland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
    My thoughts:

• Users will see numbers in order to identify them (making these number HTML anchors would be useful for referencing as well).
    • Users can go back and change or even delete their vote. I dislike the thought of "once done, set in stone".
    • Items appear in lines similar to how they do now except there with be a plus symbol to expand the item to show individual user votes.
    • Users should be allowed to view individual votes all the time. Otherwise, what good will it be to those who want to use the list to find new games they want to try?
    • A person can vote without commenting, but they shouldn't be able to comment without voting.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Showing individual votes, but masking who it is shouldn't scare of anyone. I also think that commenting should require the vote, it's more like explanation to your vote.

BrotherTank
    Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm

Interesting... Thanks Adam & CodeTech...

I'm wondering why everyone is so quiet though when you try to get their assistance and start up a good conversation on what information would be good for each of us and hopefully to those in the future when looking for good things to play with in the community archives...

Greg
    BrotherTank
    Adam Biser
    Utility Developer
    Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:54 pm

@BrotherTank: What do you mean? I think the comments are good. I know Amazon.com and other online shopping sites usually have ratings with optional comments and they expect you to rely on what other people say in those when you decide to buy or not buy the thing.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
    My thoughts:

I'm 100% for all of these suggestions, Adam. You've once again left me with nothing to say, but really - it's quite all right. Too Cool
    Dean
    <B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
    My thoughts:

Spot on Adam, I also completely agree with these suggestions, they all seem reasonable and have strong merit.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
    BrotherTank
    Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 am

Adam Biser wrote:
    @BrotherTank: What do you mean? I think the comments are good.
    Oh, I agree completely... It wasn't a comment about those who are responding, but the lack of interest in the others.. It's really strange to see some who usually have an opinion have nothing....

I mean 30+ members log into the forums each day... And then there are the other members that don't log in, but still come and read... I know that the 60+ visitors each day are not bots.. And they probably aren't all new people comming to view the forums and the information...

That's what I meant by I wonder why everyone is so quiet.. I'm not disapointed or frustrated by it...

Adam Biser wrote:
    I know Amazon.com and other online shopping sites usually have ratings with optional comments and they expect you to rely on what other people say in those when you decide to buy or not buy the thing.

Exactly.. All the sites I've seen with rating systems have that sort of comment usage on their sites.. I've even used the comments in guiding me in some small purchases that I have made in the past... And I do find the information usefull (and did)..

Anyhow.. Once again, thanks to those who have helped... I really appreciate the input... I know ultimately, I get to choose in the end, but I really do keep everyones ideas and comments in mind as I make many of the decisions about the forums (not that there are a ton of them to make - but when there are... I do value the opinions of others). Besides, it's a forum for you all, the community... If I do something that many people dislike, then they stop visiting... And the whole reason for this place was to be a place for everyone... but that's another thread somewhere in the forums.. lol..

Anyhow... I'm still thinking of things we can do to make this a better place, and I do need the input... (Johnny 5 Out... Laughing )

Greg
    BrotherTank
    doomjedi
    DieHard Wolfer
    DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 am

You're welcome Very Happy
    Adam Biser
    Utility Developer
    Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 am

@BrotherTank: I understand what you mean now. I don't think everyone checks out the News & Forum Rules board all the time, though. Maybe that's why some haven't given any input.

<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

It's not just here that has been quiet, the Haven forum has been all but dead over the 2 months. All they have been posting is Brian's news from the Dome and the odd Doom 2 link. Not sure about other communities.

I know theres DHW members that read stuff a lot of days but don't log in each time.

Adam Biser
    Utility Developer
    Utility Developer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Now if there was a site that needed an RSS feed, it's the Dome! That would be great. Then the forum could load the feed and display the latest headlines and such. Integrate what are possibly the two greatest Wolf3D resources around.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Dean wrote:
    It's not just here that has been quiet, the Haven forum has been all but dead over the 2 months. All they have been posting is Brian's news from the Dome and the odd Doom 2 link. Not sure about other communities.

I know the forums have slowed a little, but I couldn't see this going dead.. We still have many people that visit and post in the other areas.. and yep.. I know that many others (like Chris and others) still visit and don't log in... Sorry to hear the Haven isn't doing that well.. My main reason for the sort of "where are the voices" was because of those that are usually adding their 2 cents (sometimes when it's not even required... lol..) haven't voiced an opinion... But I won't post specific names.. lol.. It just sort of shocked me... or surprised me... lol...

Adam Biser wrote:
    Now if there was a site that needed an RSS feed, it's the Dome! That would be great.

Couldn't agree with you more Adam.. I have actually been looking at other php & phpBB forums... Invision, VBulletin, and those type of things.. using EasyPhp on my own system to test everything locally, and one thing that stood out and that Brian might want to look at (if he has access to php and mysql via his server/isp package) is "phpFusion". As a matter of fact, it would be good for anyones homepage that wants a CMS style setup with Downloads, News, Bulletins, and more (even forums)... And it has the RSS feeds...

Adam Biser wrote:
    Then the forum could load the feed and display the latest headlines and such. Integrate what are possibly the two greatest Wolf3D resources around.

I agree with you there... But that would really be up to Brian as he is already teamed up with the Haven, and they sort of have that pact... I would like to offer direct downloads of all the games and such available for Wolfenstein, but again, I don't want to copy or duplicate what someone else is already doing... and I don't like stepping on toes..

Greg
    BrotherTank
    AlumiuN
    DieHard Wolfer
    DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
    newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 am

I know that those absent voices included me (lol), so I'd best insert my loose change here. I think that a single vote and comment system exactly like what Adam has suggested would be ideal. There is a similar (successful) system on Abandonia, where each user has a vote and can post a comment in the discussion thread for the game (although I think a bug means that you can vote for a game more than once, rather than changing your previous vote Razz). Smile
    Thomas
    Mapping Master
    Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:17 am

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tricob
    <B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 pm
    Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've been one of those "absent voices" myself. I remember one time I was browsing the forum for code relating to key scanning, 'cause I'd forgotten how to do that for some reason. Confused I didn't want to log in and leave a trail that'd (embarrassingly) blow my cover, but I voluntarily admitted looking back on this code the very next night. Rolling Eyes It probably sounds like I'm exaggerating, so check my thread in SDL Code Crackers relating to Portable Medkits if you're skeptical. Smile

OT -

Thomas wrote:
    What I'd also love was to get rid off all my Possum Trot games. Laughing
    I know how you feel, Thomas. There's a reason I haven't recovered my no-name pushwall mod, and it has nothing to do with disk errors. But anyone can read about it in Wolf3D Wikipedia if they're *really* interested. That's why I put it there. Smile
    DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> News & Forum Rules View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
    Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
    Jump to: